Should I buy this? Bike depreciation question

Piccolo

May 26, 2005
My local bike shop has a 2007 Rocky Mountain ETSX-Team w/ full Shimano XTR components, Fox RP23 rear shock, Mavic CrossMax SLR center lock disc wheelset, Marzocchi Bomber XC Retro SL700 fork and other nice goodies. NEVER BEEN RIDDEN!
They've had this thing for 2 years and are unable to sell it on account that it's a 20.5" frame. It just happens to fit me.

Bikepedia.com lists this bike @ $4999.99 origional MSRP.

Is this 2007 bike worth the $2300 they're offering to sell it to me?
Can i get it for less?
Is there a general rule for how much a bike depreciates in value over time?

Piccolo said:
My local bike shop has a 2007 Rocky Mountain ETSX-Team w/ full Shimano XTR components, Fox RP23 rear shock, Mavic CrossMax SLR center lock disc wheelset, Marzocchi Bomber XC Retro SL700 fork and other nice goodies. NEVER BEEN RIDDEN!
They've had this thing for 2 years and are unable to sell it on account that it's a 20.5" frame. It just happens to fit me.

Bikepedia.com lists this bike @ $4999.99 origional MSRP.

Is this 2007 bike worth the $2300 they're offering to sell it to me?
Can i get it for less?
Is there a general rule for how much a bike depreciates in value over time?
BTW. I reckon a 2 year old, NOS bike should cost around 65% of retail ... a 1 year old NOS bike (end of the season) will probably be no more than 80% of retail.

IMO, you would be hard pressed to buy THAT bike for less ...

A bike that fits is a good thing!

alfeng said:
BTW. I reckon a 2 year old, NOS bike should cost around 65% of retail ... a 1 year old NOS bike (end of the season) will probably be no more than 80% of retail.

IMO, you would be hard pressed to buy THAT bike for less ...

A bike that fits is a good thing!
+1! If it fits, and they offer a new bike warranty with the 30 day tune up, and if you want it, I would say go for it. This is as long as it actually fits you and is not just them telling you that it fits you to sell it.

kdelong said:
+1! If it fits, and they offer a new bike warranty with the 30 day tune up, and if you want it, I would say go for it. This is as long as it actually fits you and is not just them telling you that it fits you to sell it.
I've ridden other models on this size frame and I'm definitely tall enough (6'4"). I like the way it rides and it feels great. Just want to know if the value is good, great, or amazing.

Piccolo said:
I've ridden other models on this size frame and I'm definitely tall enough (6'4"). I like the way it rides and it feels great. Just want to know if the value is good, great, or amazing.
My vote is "amazing". Its a good thing that you don't have where you are located, otherwise I would have to start making some phone calls to your LBS!:D This is my size too, but I am only 6'0".

Piccolo said:
Since you haven't posted that you've just returned from your LBS and that you're already the proud owner of the bike ...

As I stated in your duplicate thread, the only reason I can see NOT to buy it is because your budget is between $700/(or, less)-to-$1100 OR it isn't suitable for the type of riding you generally do ...

As I stated in your duplicate thread, your shop is selling it for a bargain at $2300 ... it would arguably be a bargain at $3000+ ...

So, even if your original budget wasn't over $2000, I would tell the shop 'yes' because it is, indeed, an "amazing" deal ... you won't have buyer's remorse IF you were/are looking to buy a full suspension MTB (i.e., you aren't simply looking for a bike to ride on a flat rails-to-trails path) ...

BTW. ROCKY MOUNTAIN is a very highly regarded frame builder.

If you are wondering about the component choice, it's all good ... or better! And, what isn't "good" IS better ... only the wheels might be considered to be ho-hum by some (but, not by me ... you can send that wheelset to me if you don't want them!) ...

You may want/need to change the seatpost to one with more setback ... maybe, not.

Of course, saddles are a matter of personal preference ...

Otherwise, the only reason not to spec-and/or-use any of the other components is because you are a sponsored racer who is given OTHER component brands to use.