Should I buy this? Bike depreciation question

Piccolo

May 26, 2005
My local bike shop has a 2007 Rocky Mountain ETSX-Team w/ full Shimano XTR components, Fox RP23 rear shock, Mavic CrossMax SLR center lock disc wheelset, Marzocchi Bomber XC Retro SL700 fork and other nice goodies. NEVER BEEN RIDDEN!
They've had this thing for 2 years and are unable to sell it on account that it's a 20.5" frame. It just happens to fit me.

Bikepedia.com lists this bike @ $5299.99 origional MSRP.

Is this 2007 bike worth the $2300 they're offering to sell it to me?
Can i get it for less?
Is there a general rule for how much a bike depreciates in value over time?

Piccolo said:
My local bike shop has a 2007 Rocky Mountain ETSX-Team w/ full Shimano XTR components, Fox RP23 rear shock, Mavic CrossMax SLR center lock disc wheelset, Marzocchi Bomber XC Retro SL700 fork and other nice goodies. NEVER BEEN RIDDEN!
They've had this thing for 2 years and are unable to sell it on account that it's a 20.5" frame. It just happens to fit me.

Bikepedia.com lists this bike @ $5299.99 origional MSRP.

Is this 2007 bike worth the $2300 they're offering to sell it to me?
Can i get it for less?
Is there a general rule for how much a bike depreciates in value over time?
FWIW. The only reason I can see NOT to buy it is because your budget is between $700-to-$1100 OR it isn't suitable for the type of riding you generally do.

Your shop is selling it for a bargain at $2300 ... it would arguably be a bargain at $3000+.

This isn't a matter of depreciation - that bike has not depreciated as it has not been sold or ridden yet, and all the components are recent enough to not be sold as obsolete deals.

Often when I see deals like that, I'll buy the bike regardless of what the frame size is. A full XTR kit with great wheels alone are worth over $2500. So for me it's worth it to strip the bike, ditch the frame and use the components as replacements on my race bike. I saw a similar deal like this earlier this year. I was the first one to inquire; the add hadn't even been posted on the net yet, but the bike was already sold. The guy's friend had talked to him before he made the advert. Otherwise, I would have had a $5000 bike for $2500 and just used all the components on my frame and sold the frame that I just bought.

I agree it has not depreciated. I'll buy an old model for less than a newer model for more. It's a bargain for me.