Should i buy this bike

Alok Narasiman

Jun 12, 2016
Hey guys, I found this Grand Prix RS 5000 for cheap online and was wondering if it was a good buy. The bike does not come with a chain. It has a 5 speed shimano shifters, a year old kendra tires and the frame is in a okay shape with a but of rust. The handle bars are pretty rusty along with the fenders. The guy has not used the bike for two years and has been sitting on his balcony. Is it okay to buy?

Depends on the price, I guess, you'll pay a lot (and spend considerable time on it) to get it rolling again if it's in such a bad condition. While I personally like buying used bicycles, I think it's worth only if they're in a good condition. You'll likely be able to find one that's not rusty and has all parts for similar price.

If you know or know someone able to properly change and set a bicycle chain, I'd say go ahead. It seems that this Gran Prix RS 5000 requires some good maintenance to leave it top notch. At least replaced the older tires with another ones.

I would recommend you to go to the local stores first. Well, I am sure you have many local cycle stores in your town. You should compare the price of the same bike at different stores and then you should buy this bike.

Reactions: MichaelDasher
If you know or know someone able to properly change and set a bicycle chain, I'd say go ahead. It seems that this Gran Prix RS 5000 requires some good maintenance to leave it top notch. At least replaced the older tires with another ones.
You are right. You would need to spend a lot of money in maintenance and that is why you should think twice before buying the bike.

You are right. You would need to spend a lot of money in maintenance and that is why you should think twice before buying the bike.

Spending money or time on maintenance is a given. Unless it is a poor quality bike with poor quality parts maintenance isn't enough to think twice about the bike. With that attitude nobody would ever buy mechanical devices of any type.

Unless it is a poor quality bike with poor quality parts maintenance isn't enough to think twice about the bike. With that attitude nobody would ever buy mechanical devices of any type.

But that is likely the case here? I mean, we can't completely judge the quality of a bike, based just on a forum post, but if it lacks chain and is rusty (and after sitting on a balcony for two years, it's bound to be really rusty), like in this case, it's reasonable to assume it will need a considerable amount of cash to put it back into shape. I personally would not recommend buying the bike in question, since you can get used bikes in a really good condition if you search enough.

I would say it depends on the price and your ability it fix it. If it's a good price and you think you can fix it then I say go for it.

This is a two year old thread but I will have a crack at it anyway.

No, you should definitely not buy a very low end bike that is not in good running order unless you have some sentimental attachment to the model.

The cost of the small odds and ends you will need to get it working will add up very quickly. The parts for older bikes are also highly interchangeable and you can usually find ones that fit, but they probably won't match and will stick out like a sore thumb. Things like shifters, derailleurs, seatposts, etc.

You can get working bikes in good shape for probably less than you will spend on that thing because it probably needs more than a chain and you can't verify if everything is working.

My favorite checks for a bike are to make sure the pedals, crank, fork, and wheels are only free to turn, and do not clunk around as if the axles were loose. They are not hard to adjust but if the bike has been used with them loose, the cones are probably shot.

The rims can wobble a little when the wheels turn but they should not be able to wobble from side to side when the wheel's not turning, not even a little bit. The same rule should go for the cranks, fork, and pedals but the pedals are easy to replace....but like I mentioned, that's going to be another $15-20 for cheap ones.

You should also do an online fit calculator and ensure the bike is the right size for you.

Reactions: steve