should i buy?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by mads, May 19, 2003.

1. mads

mads New Member

I have been offered to buy this used tomassini frame(w dura ace fitting), at a price of about 250$
    its a 57cm and i am 188cm tall, is it to way too small for me?
    what do you consider a fair price for a frame like this?

Tags:

2. rek

rek New Member

Try one of the internet fit-equation type things (I think there is one at www.wrenchscience.com) to get a better approximation as to what an appropriate frame size is.

That being said, though, I think it'll be too small -- I am 180cm and was fitted to a 58cm LOOK/56cm Cannondale size (different manufacturers have slightly different interpretations of exactly how to measure the seat tube.)

If the groupset is in good nick, you could buy it just for that, and sell the frame off separately.. :)

3. mads

mads New Member

thanks for the reply,but it only comes with da headset.
    so the price is for the frame as depicted.
    i am interested in a quality assesment of the frame.
    its slx columbus tubing by the way

4. Kristian

Kristian New Member

the frame may be a bit small but not way too small. It will however depend on your size eg hip height, reach etc. Those frames are pretty good, are you saying $250US? If you just want it for training then I would just give it a go. Steel is great to train on smooth and strong and you can always muck around with your stem, post heights and lengths. It looks to be in good condition.

5. climbo

climbo New Member

it's ugly but a classic frame, lugged steel, hard to come by these days. $250 sounds a bit steep for US$ but it looks to be in very good condition so it's probably a pretty good deal. It sure seems to be too small for you though. I'm 183cm and ride a 58cm frame with a 13cm stem. Unless you had a short torso or arms I'd say you'll only end up wanting a longer top tube. Have you seen the bike or compared it to what you have now? Do you have a bike now?

6. mads

mads New Member

according to wrenchscience.com the frame is only 2cm short(my hip height is 89), so i ended up bying.
    The price was in us$, perhaps a bit to much, but i got a new bb installed, and a nice stem for the same price.
    it is funny that you think it is ugly, i think it is great looking, i guess it is the pink color that turns you off.