should i complain?

danielstevens

New Member
Mar 28, 2003
Hello

last thursday i set off on my merry way as per usual from my work in greenwich to my flat in blackheath. Zippos circus had just arrived on blackheath and had laid a large red tube, carrying electric cables i assume, directly accross the designated cycle path. They covered the tube with a ramp which on first site looked fairly innocuous. However, when i attempted to cycle over it i had a fairly large collision or bang.

I'm still not sure what happened or what part of the bike hit the ramp. What i do know is that i nearly fell off but just about managed to control the bike and ended up with large bruises all over the top of my legs where i had hit the frame and saddle very hard. I looked down to discover my back wheel had been buckled and the gears no longer worked. I free wheeled down the hill to the bike shop and have a £80 repair bill (need a replacement wheel) and no bike over the easter break. I had a close look at the offending ramp after the bang to see that it was not smooth but made up of slats, i would discribe it as wooden steps going up one side and down the other (on a very small scale).

Walking into work this morning i saw a very large sign next to the ramp saying "Caution Ramp" - this was not displayed when i had the crash last thursday.

Do i have genuine cause for complaint here or am i being over fussy? I'm not the sort of person that does complain but feel particularly aggrieved on this occasion.

Thoughts on this most welcome

many thanks

Daniel

danielstevens wrote:
> Hello

<whinge snip>

> Thoughts on this most welcome
>
> many thanks
>
> Daniel

I jump off the edges of mountains daily, my bike gets a battering, who can I sue?

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> danielstevens wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> <whinge snip>
>
> > Thoughts on this most welcome
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> I jump off the edges of mountains daily, my bike gets a battering, who can
> sue?

...and are these mountain edges on cycle paths ?...and do they suddenly appear where they weren't
the day before ?... Dave ;-)

p.s., sounds like extreme damage for something that sounds less 'risky' than a kerbstone ?....
Personally, I think you carry as certain amount of liability for not slowing down an fully
assessing the risks, before progressing, having observed the new obstruction. Surely a bit of
'pull up on bars - front wheel over obstruction - lean down on bars - lift weight off pedals /
rear wheel over obstruction' or a bunny hop ;-) would've helped ?

yeah, i agree with you Dave, i couldn't quite believe the damage caused. I was actually going very slowly, just a bit quicker than walking pace, i really am at a loss to work out what actually happened. I did all the things you mention, all the things you would natually do when passing over a "ramp".

It just occured to me that other cyclists may have had problems and complained, hence the appearance of the caution sign over the weekend

Originally posted by Dave

danielstevens <[email protected]> wrote:

> Do i have genuine cause for complaint here or am i being over fussy? I'm not the sort of person
> that does complain but feel particularly aggrieved on this occasion.
>
> Thoughts on this most welcome

Would you have acted any differently if the sign had been there originally? It seems you were well
aware there was a ramp there, it just didn't turn out as you expected. The accident itself seems a
curious one. A ramp as you describe it shouldn't be that hard to cycle over and shouldn't have
buckled the rear wheel or put the gears out of action.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> danielstevens wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> <whinge snip>
>
> > Thoughts on this most welcome
> >
> > many thanks
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> I jump off the edges of mountains daily, my bike gets a battering, who can
> sue?

If a mountain appeared on my cycle path I'd be sueing my local council :eek:) I've seen small potholes
but that would be taking the biscuit.

Gadget

Dave wrote:
> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I jump off the edges of mountains daily, my bike gets a battering, who can I sue?
>>

> ...and are these mountain edges on cycle paths ?...and do they suddenly appear where they weren't
> the day before ?... Dave ;-)

Well, I exagerated. Not too many mountains in Surbiton. ;)

> p.s., sounds like extreme damage for something that sounds less 'risky' than a kerbstone ?....
> Personally, I think you carry as certain amount of liability for not slowing down an fully
> assessing the risks, before progressing, having observed the new obstruction. Surely a bit of
> 'pull up on bars - front wheel over obstruction - lean down on bars - lift weight off pedals /
> rear wheel over obstruction' or a bunny hop ;-) would've helped ?

Less pies, more air.

Hi Tony

yes you're right, i probably wouldn't have acted any differently if the sign had been up originally. However it seems to me that for the ramp to warrent a big "Caution" sign it is known to the circus people to be a problem to cyclists.

Originally posted by Tony Raven

danielstevens wrote:

>Hello
>
>last thursday i set off on my merry way as per usual from my work in greenwich to my flat in
>blackheath. Zippos circus had just arrived on blackheath and had laid a large red tube, carrying
>electric cables i assume, directly accross the designated cycle path. They covered the tube with a
>ramp which on first site looked fairly innocuous. However, when i attempted to cycle over it i had
>a fairly large collision or bang.
>
>I'm still not sure what happened or what part of the bike hit the ramp. What i do know is that i
>nearly fell off but just about managed to control the bike and ended up with large bruises all
>over the top of my legs where i had hit the frame and saddle very hard. I looked down to discover
>my back wheel had been buckled and the gears no longer worked. I free wheeled down the hill to the
>bike shop and have a £80 repair bill (need a replacement wheel) and no bike over the easter break.
>I had a close look at the offending ramp after the bang to see that it was not smooth but made up
>of slats, i would discribe it as wooden steps going up one side and down the other (on a very
>small scale).
>
>Walking into work this morning i saw a very large sign next to the ramp saying "Caution Ramp" -
>this was not displayed when i had the crash last thursday.
>
>Do i have genuine cause for complaint here or am i being over fussy? I'm not the sort of person
>that does complain but feel particularly aggrieved on this occasion.
>
>Thoughts on this most welcome

I passed over the exact same ramp last Thursday too, happily without mishap. However, I was furious
that Zippo's Circus had erected barriers right across the path at the cycle lane junction in the
centre of Blackheath, and that barriers had been put up all along the side of the cycle lane and
vehicles were being encouraged to drive on the cycle lane to park their cars on the Heath.

I would have complained to the Chair of the Blackheath Society, only he has recently had a
heart attack.

I believe that Lewisham Council is responsible for that part of Blackheath. The other side of the A2
is the responsibility of Greenwich Council. Gavin Moore is the local councilor.

[email protected]

8699 0769

You should also be able to catch Councilor Moore at 11am in Blackheath Library on Saturday 3rd May.
Give him hell - but be warned, he's a bit of a slimey customer (and I've heard that he smells too).

BTW - what bike shop do you use?
--
remove remove to reply

many thanks for the info, i shall send an email to Gavin Moore. I noticed the barriers - didn't realise cars were driving on the cycle paths! It all seems a bit much. I don't think the circus is doing that well, i've only seen about 5 cars parked on the heath at any one time just before the circus is about to start up - five of six parking stewards wondering around the heath looking very bored.

Originally posted by Gonzalez
danielstevens wrote:

>Hello
>
>last thursday i set off on my merry way as per usual from my work in greenwich to my flat in
>blackheath. Zippos circus had just arrived on blackheath and had laid a large red tube, carrying
>electric cables i assume, directly accross the designated cycle path. They covered the tube with a
>ramp which on first site looked fairly innocuous. However, when i attempted to cycle over it i had
>a fairly large collision or bang.
>
>I'm still not sure what happened or what part of the bike hit the ramp. What i do know is that i
>nearly fell off but just about managed to control the bike and ended up with large bruises all
>over the top of my legs where i had hit the frame and saddle very hard. I looked down to discover
>my back wheel had been buckled and the gears no longer worked. I free wheeled down the hill to the
>bike shop and have a £80 repair bill (need a replacement wheel) and no bike over the easter break.
>I had a close look at the offending ramp after the bang to see that it was not smooth but made up
>of slats, i would discribe it as wooden steps going up one side and down the other (on a very
>small scale).
>
>Walking into work this morning i saw a very large sign next to the ramp saying "Caution Ramp" -
>this was not displayed when i had the crash last thursday.
>
>Do i have genuine cause for complaint here or am i being over fussy? I'm not the sort of person
>that does complain but feel particularly aggrieved on this occasion.
>
>Thoughts on this most welcome

I passed over the exact same ramp last Thursday too, happily without mishap. However, I was furious
that Zippo's Circus had erected barriers right across the path at the cycle lane junction in the
centre of Blackheath, and that barriers had been put up all along the side of the cycle lane and
vehicles were being encouraged to drive on the cycle lane to park their cars on the Heath.

I would have complained to the Chair of the Blackheath Society, only he has recently had a
heart attack.

I believe that Lewisham Council is responsible for that part of Blackheath. The other side of the A2
is the responsibility of Greenwich Council. Gavin Moore is the local councilor.

[email protected]

8699 0769

You should also be able to catch Councilor Moore at 11am in Blackheath Library on Saturday 3rd May.
Give him hell - but be warned, he's a bit of a slimey customer (and I've heard that he smells too).

BTW - what bike shop do you use?
--
remove remove to reply

Sorry - Bike Shop - I can't actually recall the name, its on lee high road.......

Originally posted by danielstevens

danielstevens wrote:

>Sorry - Bike Shop - I can't actually recall the name, its on lee high road.......

It's called The Bike Shop - Young's Cycles before that.
--
remove remove to reply