Should I cycle my way to college?

Idane

Aug 9, 2013
I know that most of y'all might say yes considering the Forum I've adventured myself on! But the problem is that it's already pretty close to autumn, soon it will rain etc.

The distance from my dorm room to the university is 9 km (around 5.6 miles?)... so back and forth would make it a total of 18 km each day. Problem being not the distance in itself (especially since the ENTIRE distance has a special road made for bicycles next to the actual car road), but the fact that I am a complete novice. I can't really remember the last time I used a bike, all I know is that I sort-of can ride it without much difficulty except for complex turns.

Do you think I would be able to handle this without bathing in my own sweat by the time I reach the institution, or should I just take the bus for the first week and do the ride separately until I get used to it? (The bus is VERY expensive for me though... And not sure if the uni will give me my money back if I buy a monthly pass.)

Also how long do you estimate I would take considering the road circumstances, my novice status and the fact that I would most likely be getting a medium to small bike (since I'm rather short...)?

Thanks in advance.

You can easily bike 10 kms in under 1 hour just starting out.
It should only take 1/2 hour after you are used to the bike.

on rainy days pick up the bus, for cold weather use gloves and a head warmer (it could be specific to cycling or normal winter apparel) i have to say that having a bicycles only trail for the complete commute is really great, you should take advantage of it, i have mixed feelings about the distance, its not long but then it is not short either, good for bike commuting though

I commuted 34 miles round trip to grad school each day. I kept clean clothes, soap, and stuff in a locker at school, and I would shower on arrival. I'd stock the locker on weekends with clothes for the next week. I found the ride to school woke up my brain and readied for classes, work, etc. The ride home was great for decompressing at the end of the day, for finding solutions to problems (homework, work in the lab, and etc.). It beat the hell out of riding the bus or driving to school.

Oh, Hell yes, if you can work out the logistics of it. I desperately would love to ride to my work from time to time, it's 15 miles each way, but there are no real facilities to clean up, just a public men's room at the end of the hall. Don't imagine other tenants or management would like to see me standing in front of the sink in just my boxers washing down the sweat.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I commuted 34 miles round trip to grad school each day. I kept clean clothes, soap, and stuff in a locker at school, and I would shower on arrival. I'd stock the locker on weekends with clothes for the next week. I found the ride to school woke up my brain and readied for classes, work, etc. The ride home was great for decompressing at the end of the day, for finding solutions to problems (homework, work in the lab, and etc.). It beat the hell out of riding the bus or driving to school.
Hey there! It would be considerably more easy for me to do this if they had a shower indeed. I'll make sure to ask. I'm almost certain they don't have a locker though, but if they do then all the better. I wouldn't mind carrying a change of clothes in my backpack. I went to a sports high school where some days I would have to go to classes from practice, and we didn't have a locker there either. If all of these were assured, I wouldn't really mind the physical effort, I would be enjoying it equally much. It would just become a hassle if I had to rely on the public bathroom for a change of clothes and wipe myself a bit with wet wipes before. :p

If they've got a gym or rec center, then it's very possible they have either free lockers or lockers for rent. Note that a shower is nice, but a package of baby wipes can work very well, too.

Originally Posted by alienator .

If they've got a gym or rec center, then it's very possible they have either free lockers or lockers for rent. Note that a shower is nice, but a package of baby wipes can work very well, too.
I don't think they do. The campus is a little odd - it's divided among locations that are pretty spread out into the city. The sports branch is not in the same building as mine, sadly, so most likely not the gym either, unless the building has its special recreational or gym area indeed. I'll be relying on the wet wipes in the university toilet if this doesn't turn out to be the case.

Originally Posted by Idane .
What are the options?

Certainly, you can do the bicycling. Do you have an office or do you need to use bike racks? Big difference.

I guess the bus is out and I don't suppose a car is an option. 6 miles is a long walk.

There is no need to sweat. Just take it slow. I see a lot of people in the area bicycling to university - wearing white shirts and ties.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

What are the options?

Certainly, you can do the bicycling. Do you have an office or do you need to use bike racks? Big difference.

I guess the bus is out and I don't suppose a car is an option. 6 miles is a long walk.

There is no need to sweat. Just take it slow. I see a lot of people in the area bicycling to university - wearing white shirts and ties.
I believe it's with bike racks, or at least I've noted their presence in the yard of the University on Google Maps. Never been there yet in person. What's the big difference? I'm a bit of a novice.

The bus isn't out, but I'm trying to keep it out to save money due to it being rather expensive... If I wont ride, the bus will be the alternative. I've considered walking, some days... but if I'll get a part-time job after courses, walking will turn out to be a major waste of time. I don't have a car.

I do plan to take it slow the first times, I hope that's true about the sweating. I was just worried about the length causing the effort to be too much even with a slow pace, but I'm hoping that wont be the case!

Idane said:
I believe it's with bike racks, or at least I've noted their presence in the yard of the University on Google Maps. Never been there yet in person. What's the big difference? I'm a bit of a novice. The bus isn't out, but I'm trying to keep it out to save money due to it being rather expensive... If I wont ride, the bus will be the alternative. I've considered walking, some days... but if I'll get a part-time job after courses, walking will turn out to be a major waste of time. I don't have a car. I do plan to take it slow the first times, I hope that's true about the sweating. I was just worried about the length causing the effort to be too much even with a slow pace, but I'm hoping that wont be the case!
If you're considering the bus, then look to see if they have student pricing. A lot of university students get said pricing on semester or year long passes.

Funny this thread came up, my daughter is thinking of a bike cause she hates the using the bus line around the campus. My wife is dead against it and nearly threw a fit in the bike store. I did not even suggest it cause my daughter never used a bike in NYC. My wife is scared she will get hurt but with all the bike lanes here and local roads I see no issue. Went to a local shop and they wanted over $400 for a hybrid and told me bikes do get stolen in Gainesville which surprised me. If she still wants one I am thinking of going to a Target around here for a cruiser, fixed gear. Want to support the local shops so may first check out the other ones near her campus. Need to be cheap and little to no maintenance. Fixed is the way to go for that IMHO.

-jon

jsirabella said:
Funny this thread came up, my daughter is thinking of a bike cause she hates the using the bus line around the campus.  My wife is dead against it and nearly threw a fit in the bike store.  I did not even suggest it cause my daughter never used a bike in NYC.  My wife is scared she will get hurt but with all the bike lanes here and local roads I see no issue.  Went to a local shop and they wanted over $400 for a hybrid and told me bikes do get stolen in Gainesville which surprised me.  If she still wants one I am thinking of going to a Target around here for a cruiser, fixed gear.  Want to support the local shops so may first check out the other ones near her campus.  Need to be cheap and little to no maintenance.  Fixed is the way to go for that IMHO. -jon
a singlespeed is easier to control than a fixie, with all the advantages of it, 1 gear, light, low price, etc

Originally Posted by vspa .

a singlespeed is easier to control than a fixie, with all the advantages of it, 1 gear, light, low price, etc
I have absolutely no idea what you people are talking about!

Idane said:
I have absolutely no idea what you people are talking about!
A fixed gear bike is a bike with rear hub whose only gear turns with the hub. That means so long as the rear wheel is turning, the gear will turn, and the cranks and pedals will turn. There's no coasting. A single speed is a bike with one gear, like a fixie, except that single speed allows to stop pedaling and coast. Fixie's require a bit more skill and attention because of things like being forced to pedal through turns and having to keep up with the pedals on downhills. A not so small number of people get fixes and end up wishing they had got single speeds. The attraction of such bikes is that they have relatively few parts and are a dead simple to maintain. They can also be had for very little money, especially around universities.

It's called a bicycle path.
Ride slowly and you won't get too sweaty. Light, breathable clothing keeps the sweat away.
Why aren't you asking a stranger at hand, rather than strangers on the internet these questions ?

alien, I gave the bike to a friend but if I remember correctly, I had a Bianchi Pista and all I had to do was flip the wheel and it went from fixie to a singlespeed. Wish I still had it now but not that much...

I am looking to get a Surly cross check frame which can become just about anything it seems for commuting.

-john

cyclightning said:
 It's called a bicycle path.  Ride slowly and you won't get too sweaty. Light, breathable clothing keeps the sweat away.  Why aren't you asking a stranger at hand, rather than strangers on the internet these questions ?  
This assumes that there bicycle paths in a given location and that someone wants to ride slow.

jsirabella said:
alien, I gave the bike to a friend but if I remember correctly, I had a Bianchi Pista and all I had to do was flip the wheel and it went from fixie to a singlespeed.  Wish I still had it now but not that much... I am looking to get a Surly cross check frame which can become just about anything it seems for commuting. -john
A Surly Cross Check would be just about perfect.

alien, Trying to find a used one is not saving any money even just a on the frame side. On amazon I can buy one for like 480 new and when I am lucky enough to see used ones on ebay that are close to my size, they go for just a bit less it seems. Crazy but a great all around frame/bike.

-js