Should I dump the hybrid?

Ken C. M.

Guest
I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought
since taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds /
lbs. It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the
first bike I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value.
But on the other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for
rides more than my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road
bike with the bars at about the same height as the saddle. And since I
have been riding the 'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I
think I might like a true road bike. Probably something in a relaxed
geometry bike. Not a super high dollar bike just a budget bike that I
can use as my commuter and for some faster rides when I don't want to
ride the recumbent.

So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
Thanks
Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

Ken C. M. <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
> bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought
> since taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds /
> lbs. It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the
> first bike I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value.
> But on the other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for
> rides more than my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road
> bike with the bars at about the same height as the saddle. And since I
> have been riding the 'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I
> think I might like a true road bike. Probably something in a relaxed
> geometry bike. Not a super high dollar bike just a budget bike that I
> can use as my commuter and for some faster rides when I don't want to
> ride the recumbent.

Do you have a grocery bike? If not, a hybrid with a rack and some
baskets or a milk crate on back makes an excellent one. Just think of
it as one more excuse to cycle. Of course, if you live 10 miles from
the nearest stores, this may be sub-optimal.

Then of course, go and get the road bike, since you couldn't possibly be
seen pootling about on your *grocery* bike on serious rides. ;-)

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
"Scissor-bomb"

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> writes:
> I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
> bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought
> since taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds /
> lbs. It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the
> first bike I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value.
> But on the other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for
> rides more than my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road
> bike with the bars at about the same height as the saddle. And since I
> have been riding the 'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I
> think I might like a true road bike. Probably something in a relaxed
> geometry bike. Not a super high dollar bike just a budget bike that I
> can use as my commuter and for some faster rides when I don't want to
> ride the recumbent.
>
> So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
> Thanks

In the short term, heart-follows-head usually has happier results.
But in the long term, the converse seems to hold true.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what
you've got 'til it's gone" -- Joni Mitchell

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
>bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought since
>taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds / lbs.
>It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the first bike
>I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value. But on the
>other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for rides more than
>my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road bike with the bars
>at about the same height as the saddle. And since I have been riding the
>'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I think I might like a true
>road bike. Probably something in a relaxed geometry bike. Not a super high
>dollar bike just a budget bike that I can use as my commuter and for some
>faster rides when I don't want to ride the recumbent.
>
> So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
> Thanks
> Ken

Well, Ken, I prefer my flat bar roadie when doing errands in town. I guess
it's sort of a hybrid. With a rack and panniers it serves the purpose quite
well. I'm thinking of replacing it with a single speed, either a Bianchi San
Jose or a Surly Cross Check. I feel the need for fatter tires and a drop
bar, plus the single speed thing sounds nice.

Trade it toward the road bike, then you'd have that and the 'bent. Not a
bad combo, and one I'm working toward.

Ken C. M. wrote:
[...]
::
:: So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
:: Thanks
:: Ken
:: --

Ken C. M. wrote:
> I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it.

Rack it, fender it, put baskets on it. Use it for just about every
errand you can think of.

I am of the opinion that a bicycle depending on it's configuration all
have its specific job for which it was designed to do. My commuter /
errand bike has fenders, a basket and a rear book rack which I could
also put on panniers. It costs about $60 and I lock it wherever I park
it. I have a mountain bike that I specifically use off-road. Another
bike is my tour bike which has all the necessary bits needed for
full-on bike touring and last I have a fast road bike that I use on
club rides and the once in a while race competition. My recreation
bikes are all parked in my living room, not outside or in a garage.
This is to prevent theft. My work bike is parked in our apartment
complex general parking area and as I said is always locked. From your
description of your bike, it sounds like it is too expensive and or
valuable to be used as an ordinary work bike but also not good enough
for killer club rides. It would be a shame to "dumb it down" for the
sake of its utility and you would also still have to worry about theft
as a possibility. Maybe you should consider giving it to a friend or
relative and take the dive into hardcore cycling.

Ken C. M. wrote:
> I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
> bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought
> since taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds /
> lbs. It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the
> first bike I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value.
> But on the other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for
> rides more than my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road
> bike with the bars at about the same height as the saddle. And since I
> have been riding the 'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I
> think I might like a true road bike. Probably something in a relaxed
> geometry bike. Not a super high dollar bike just a budget bike that I
> can use as my commuter and for some faster rides when I don't want to
> ride the recumbent.
>
> So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
> Thanks
> Ken

Keep it and buy the road bike too. There's no rule that says you may
only have two bikes... or three.... or five. They aren't wives after
all. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Ken C. M. wrote:
> I have this bike, and I don't know what to do with it. It's like new. I
> bought it at the end of last summer. It's the first new bike I bought
> since taking up cycling again. It's also help me lose almost 20 pounds /
> lbs. It's also the first bike I ever rode a century on. It's also the
> first bike I ever did any touring on. So it has some sentimental value.
> But on the other hand, I just rode it a couple of time this week, for
> rides more than my commute. I have it configured something flat bar road
> bike with the bars at about the same height as the saddle. And since I
> have been riding the 'bent more I forgot how /fun/ a df can be. But I
> think I might like a true road bike. Probably something in a relaxed
> geometry bike. Not a super high dollar bike just a budget bike that I
> can use as my commuter and for some faster rides when I don't want to
> ride the recumbent.
>
> So I usually get pretty good advice from the regulars here.
> Thanks
> Ken

It's up to you, but for me the road bike was the way to go. It is
lighter and faster than my mountain bike was. It also feels more stable
on the road, probably because my weight is more equally balanced and
puts more of it on the front wheel than the other configuration did.
The somewhat rougher ride turned out to be very easy for me to adjust
to, letting my arms and legs take the bumps. I wound up giving my
starter mountain bike to my daughter. She incidentally just did the
same thing and went the road route, taking advantage of the spring sale
at our local bike shop. My riding (nearly every day) is for fitness and
recreation and the road bike is just more enjoyable for me to ride.

Dane Buson wrote:

> Do you have a grocery bike? If not, a hybrid with a rack and some
> baskets or a milk crate on back makes an excellent one. Just think of
> it as one more excuse to cycle. Of course, if you live 10 miles from
> the nearest stores, this may be sub-optimal.
>
> Then of course, go and get the road bike, since you couldn't possibly be
> seen pootling about on your *grocery* bike on serious rides. ;-)

Well pretty much everyplace I need to go is within 12 miles or so. The
'brid is a great g.p. / commuter bike. But of course it's a tank
weighing in at 32 pounds with no add ons.

Ken
--

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Trade it toward the road bike, then you'd have that and the 'bent. Not a
> bad combo, and one I'm working toward.

That's kind what I was thinking, selling the hybrid in the classifieds
and using the cash to get the road bike. But probably won't get anywhere
close to what I /think/ the bike is worth. Used bikes don't seem to
fetch much when sold as used, unless they are top shelf models.

Ken
--

Gooserider wrote:

> Well, Ken, I prefer my flat bar roadie when doing errands in town. I guess
> it's sort of a hybrid. With a rack and panniers it serves the purpose quite
> well. I'm thinking of replacing it with a single speed, either a Bianchi San
> Jose or a Surly Cross Check. I feel the need for fatter tires and a drop
> bar, plus the single speed thing sounds nice.

Well I am leaning more towards a drop bar bike, because I find the
closer hand position (like on the bar tops) to be far more comfortable
than way out on the ends of the bars, I have narrow shoulders, so having
them way out is not good. I ride the hybrid with my hands resting on top
of the shifter brake lever pods, inward of the grips.

Ken
--

Bob wrote:

> Keep it and buy the road bike too. There's no rule that says you may
> only have two bikes... or three.... or five. They aren't wives after
> all. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Bob Hunt

AH that would be the route I would go, but my bicycle storage space is
very limited. It was a major challenge to make room to bring the 'bent
home. Have you seen 'Big Love' on HBO, that guy juggles more than I wife.

Ken
--

catzz66 wrote:

> It's up to you, but for me the road bike was the way to go. It is
> lighter and faster than my mountain bike was. It also feels more stable
> on the road, probably because my weight is more equally balanced and
> puts more of it on the front wheel than the other configuration did. The
> somewhat rougher ride turned out to be very easy for me to adjust to,
> letting my arms and legs take the bumps. I wound up giving my starter
> mountain bike to my daughter. She incidentally just did the same thing
> and went the road route, taking advantage of the spring sale at our
> local bike shop. My riding (nearly every day) is for fitness and
> recreation and the road bike is just more enjoyable for me to ride.

Well I can't see me riding an MTB, but the hybrid is to MTB like and not
close enough to a road bike. But it is well built for the average hybrid
rider, but not /performance/ oriented enough for a serious rider. It's a
/TANK/ of a bike. Just the bike weights 32 pounds. Well over any road bike.

Ken
--

Ken C. M. wrote:
> catzz66 wrote:
>
>> It's up to you, but for me the road bike was the way to go. It is
>> lighter and faster than my mountain bike was. It also feels more
>> stable on the road, probably because my weight is more equally
>> balanced and puts more of it on the front wheel than the other
>> configuration did. The somewhat rougher ride turned out to be very
>> easy for me to adjust to, letting my arms and legs take the bumps. I
>> wound up giving my starter mountain bike to my daughter. She
>> incidentally just did the same thing and went the road route, taking
>> advantage of the spring sale at our local bike shop. My riding
>> (nearly every day) is for fitness and recreation and the road bike is
>> just more enjoyable for me to ride.

> Well I can't see me riding an MTB, but the hybrid is to MTB like and not
> close enough to a road bike. But it is well built for the average hybrid
> rider, but not /performance/ oriented enough for a serious rider. It's a
> /TANK/ of a bike. Just the bike weights 32 pounds. Well over any road bike.
>
> Ken

I thought I would love the mountain bike but after putting on street
tires and getting it set up, I didn't like the cushy ride. It actually
felt loose in my hands compared to my first el cheapo road bike. I
wound up riding the road bike more (an old Fuji with tires that were
about 32s). Then I graduated to a pretty good road bike with 700c/23
tires, liked it even better and stopped riding the mountain bike at all.
Have two bikes now, but they are both road bikes.

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: catzz66 wrote:
::
[...]

My comfort-oriented Specialized Sequioa Expert road bike weighs about 27
lbs. It has drop bars and came with low spoke count wheels. I put a Brooks
B17 on it that weighs less than the saddle that came on the bike. But i
upgraded to 32/36 spoke count wheels. It takes 700c/28 tires.

::
:: Ken
:: --

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Trade it toward the road bike, then you'd have that and the 'bent.
::: Not a bad combo, and one I'm working toward.
::
:: That's kind what I was thinking, selling the hybrid in the
:: classifieds and using the cash to get the road bike. But probably
:: won't get anywhere close to what I /think/ the bike is worth. Used
:: bikes don't seem to fetch much when sold as used, unless they are
:: top shelf models.

See if you can put up an ad at your LBS. If you buy your new bike from
them, they may be willing to help you sell the older one. Mine offered to
help me this way when I bought my current bike, thinking I'd later want to
upgrade (I don't think I want to). I do want bike #2, though.

Roger Zoul wrote:

> My comfort-oriented Specialized Sequioa Expert road bike weighs about 27
> lbs. It has drop bars and came with low spoke count wheels. I put a Brooks
> B17 on it that weighs less than the saddle that came on the bike. But i
> upgraded to 32/36 spoke count wheels. It takes 700c/28 tires.

Now I just peeked at that bike, and that is EXACTLY the type of road
bike I want. I don't want anything more right now. That model may even
be one or two steps up from what I was thinking of. But thats the
/comfort/ design that is close to my hybrid.

Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs
become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal.
And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson, "On Bicycling,"
Saturday Evening Post, 29 July 1967

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::
::: My comfort-oriented Specialized Sequioa Expert road bike weighs
::: about 27 lbs. It has drop bars and came with low spoke count
::: wheels. I put a Brooks B17 on it that weighs less than the saddle
::: that came on the bike. But i upgraded to 32/36 spoke count wheels.
::: It takes 700c/28 tires.
:::
::
:: Now I just peeked at that bike, and that is EXACTLY the type of road
:: bike I want. I don't want anything more right now. That model may
:: even be one or two steps up from what I was thinking of. But thats
:: the /comfort/ design that is close to my hybrid.

I have the 2003 model. It has an extra set of brake levers on the handle
bars, too. I think Trek makes a similar model, as well.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Ken C. M. wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::
> ::: My comfort-oriented Specialized Sequioa Expert road bike weighs
> ::: about 27 lbs. It has drop bars and came with low spoke count
> ::: wheels. I put a Brooks B17 on it that weighs less than the saddle
> ::: that came on the bike. But i upgraded to 32/36 spoke count wheels.
> ::: It takes 700c/28 tires.
> :::
> ::
> :: Now I just peeked at that bike, and that is EXACTLY the type of road
> :: bike I want. I don't want anything more right now. That model may
> :: even be one or two steps up from what I was thinking of. But thats
> :: the /comfort/ design that is close to my hybrid.
>
> I have the 2003 model. It has an extra set of brake levers on the handle
> bars, too. I think Trek makes a similar model, as well.

Roger, would you say the Trek 1000 is close? Around here, it is less
expensive, unless I am not matching it up with the right Sequoia.