Should I dump the hybrid?

catzz66 wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Ken C. M. wrote:
::::: Roger Zoul wrote:
:::::
:::::: My comfort-oriented Specialized Sequioa Expert road bike weighs
:::::: about 27 lbs. It has drop bars and came with low spoke count
:::::: wheels. I put a Brooks B17 on it that weighs less than the
:::::: saddle that came on the bike. But i upgraded to 32/36 spoke
:::::: count wheels. It takes 700c/28 tires.
::::::
:::::
::::: Now I just peeked at that bike, and that is EXACTLY the type of
::::: road bike I want. I don't want anything more right now. That
::::: model may even be one or two steps up from what I was thinking
::::: of. But thats the /comfort/ design that is close to my hybrid.
:::
::: I have the 2003 model. It has an extra set of brake levers on the
::: handle bars, too. I think Trek makes a similar model, as well.
:::
:::
:::
::
:: Roger, would you say the Trek 1000 is close? Around here, it is less
:: expensive, unless I am not matching it up with the right Sequoia.

No, mine has all 105 stuff w/ SPDs. 2200C would be very close in 2003.

Ken C. M. wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>

> > Keep it and buy the road bike too. There's no rule that says you may
> > only have two bikes... or three.... or five. They aren't wives after
> > all. ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bob Hunt
> >

> AH that would be the route I would go, but my bicycle storage space is
> very limited. It was a major challenge to make room to bring the 'bent
> home. Have you seen 'Big Love' on HBO, that guy juggles more than I wife.
>
> Ken

If you absolutely cannot possibly make room, I'd say sell or trade the
hybrid for a road bike. I haven't seen that show but can't fathom why
anyone would want more than one spouse. If you have a good one why
would you need another and if you have a bad one why on earth would you
make the same mistake twice? ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Roger Zoul wrote:
> catzz66 wrote:
> ::
> :: Roger, would you say the Trek 1000 is close? Around here, it is less
> :: expensive, unless I am not matching it up with the right Sequoia.
>
> No, mine has all 105 stuff w/ SPDs. 2200C would be very close in 2003.

Thanks, I see it now. Nice.

Ken---

What is your budget? If you're looking for something in a relaxed
geometry with the functionality to use as a commuter/errand bike, you hae a
lot of choices.

Mike

Gooserider wrote:
> Ken---
>
> What is your budget? If you're looking for something in a relaxed
> geometry with the functionality to use as a commuter/errand bike, you hae a
> lot of choices.
>
> Mike

Well I haven't even really thought about my budget and pricing or models
yet. This is just sort of a thought I have in my mind for an upgrade. I
guess my budget might depend on whether or not I sell the hybrid or not.
If not then it will have to go into a long term storage unit, where it
won't be of any use to anyone, but I will still have access to it for a
back up bike if one gets stolen.

Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gooserider wrote:
>> Ken---
>>
>> What is your budget? If you're looking for something in a relaxed
>> geometry with the functionality to use as a commuter/errand bike, you hae
>> a lot of choices.
>>
>> Mike

Are you going to want to be able to mount a rack and/or fenders on it? You
don't HAVE to use a rack, as a large saddlebag with support is workable, but
the option for one is nice. How important is light weight to you? Frame
material? Just trying to help you spend your money. :)

Mike

Gooserider wrote:
> "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Gooserider wrote:
>>
>>>Ken---
>>>
>>> What is your budget? If you're looking for something in a relaxed
>>>geometry with the functionality to use as a commuter/errand bike, you hae
>>>a lot of choices.
>>>
>>>Mike

> Are you going to want to be able to mount a rack and/or fenders on it? You
> don't HAVE to use a rack, as a large saddlebag with support is workable, but
> the option for one is nice. How important is light weight to you? Frame
> material? Just trying to help you spend your money. :)
>
> Mike

Well racks and fenders would be a must, as this bike would be used as my
commuter and grocery getter. Weight is important, my hybrid now, bar
bike now with no add-on weighs 32lbs, with the read rack and trunk bag
and lights somewhere around 35lbs. Frame material is not really that
important, my hybrid is aluminum.

Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs
become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal.
And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson, "On Bicycling,"
Saturday Evening Post, 29 July 1967

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Well racks and fenders would be a must, as this bike would be used as my
> commuter and grocery getter. Weight is important, my hybrid now, bar bike
> now with no add-on weighs 32lbs, with the read rack and trunk bag and
> lights somewhere around 35lbs. Frame material is not really that
> important, my hybrid is aluminum.
>
> Ken

Hmm. There's the venerable Trek 520. Steel touring bike with all the
braze-ons(? 3 bottle mounts?). About a grand or so new. Should be very
comfortable and durable.

I have a Gunnar Sport. It wasn't cheap, but wasn't expensive compared to
what a lot of folks ride. It's steel, again, very comfortable with all the
braze ons.
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php

Surly Cross-Check comes in at about a grand, but it's not exactly
lightweight. They also sell the Long Haul Trucker frameset. It's a loaded
touring bike, but not gonna be lightweight.

http://www.surlybikes.com/bikes.html

These Mercier Galaxy light touring bikes are on eBay and seem like a pretty
decent bike for the price. I don't know about the quality of the components,
but $447 is cheap enough to allow you to replace them as they fail. I'd
bring it to my LBS for a tuneup when I got it out of the box, so I'd budget
for that.

http://tinyurl.com/p6umf

The upcoming Rivendell Bleriot should be a heck of a deal. Lugged steel,
650B wheels, and available from any bike shop that orders from Quality
Bicycle Products. Frameset is $750 so you can definitely build it up for
$1500 or so, with judicious shopping.

http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2006/bleriot/index.html

SOMA Double Cross---very nice:
http://www.somafab.com/doublecrosspix.html

I'm sure Matthew Grimm at Kogswell could hook you up with something.

http://www.kogswell.com

Bianchi has a lot to offer:

Castro Valley--
http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_castro_valley.html

Volpe--
http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_volpe.html

And the aluminum framed Axis cyclocross bike--
http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_axis.html

Let's not forget the singlespeed San Jose--
http://www.bianchiusa.com/06_san_jose.html

Hope that helps. :)

Mike