Should I feel guilty or pragmatic?

kakman

Dec 3, 2005
To cut a long story short, I needed some tyres.

Went to a number of major LBS in Sydney looking for Conti GP 4000s. Best price I saw was $110 - Michelin Pro Race @ the same. Probikekit have them for $40 Aus plus $18 Shipping. I got 2 Contis, 4 tubes, a pair of knicks, and some riding glasses for $160 including shipping.

The cheapest knicks I saw today were 'on special' for $80; glasses were $60; tubes @ $8-10. So to buy the lot in Sydney would have cost me close to $400. I really do like to support the LBS (hey, I bought my bike from one:) but there must be a threshold where the price difference is just too great. If it was 10-15% I'd wear it but when it's more than double the price...

FWIW, I also tried cyclebits and Phantom - more expensive than PBK and very restricted with regards range (size, colour, models etc).

Curious to know what others think/do.

// kak

Hey Kak,

It has become a global economy with the arrival on online shopping.

If I go into a LBS (or other retailer) and ask for advice and recommendations then I purchase my product from their store. THe premium I pay on those purchases is to get their expert advice.

For items I don't need advice on I purchase at whoever can provide me the best service/price ratio.

Cheers
Ant

not only would I not feel guilty, I would tell the shop all about it. I've been telling my local shop about it. Tyre prices are WAY out of sync with most other components. It's rediculous that a Mavic rim can be ~$110, but a Michelin Pro Race is about $90!!!

Perhaps if we get the message to the retailers and the importers then the prices my drop to something which is almost reasonable.

Having said all that, Vredestein tyres are much better priced than the other top brands. I can get Tricomps and Superlites for $50 or $55 at a few shops in my area, and I think they're $40 on ProBikeKit

kakman said:
To cut a long story short, I needed some tyres.

Went to a number of major LBS in Sydney looking for Conti GP 4000s. Best price I saw was $110 - Michelin Pro Race @ the same. Probikekit have them for $40 Aus plus $18 Shipping. I got 2 Contis, 4 tubes, a pair of knicks, and some riding glasses for $160 including shipping.

The cheapest knicks I saw today were 'on special' for $80; glasses were $60; tubes @ $8-10. So to buy the lot in Sydney would have cost me close to $400. I really do like to support the LBS (hey, I bought my bike from one:) but there must be a threshold where the price difference is just too great. If it was 10-15% I'd wear it but when it's more than double the price...

FWIW, I also tried cyclebits and Phantom - more expensive than PBK and very restricted with regards range (size, colour, models etc).

Curious to know what others think/do.

// kak
Just placed an order myself and in comparison to LBS prices have saved about $130. Bought Conti GP4000(for my bike) and gloves, sunnies and water bottle cage for 12 year old daughter who has taken riding up like a duck to water.

Has anyone order from here before if so what is the turn around like.

George, if you online you might be able to give me a better idea from Perth.

Cheers
Skull

WrxAnt said:
It has become a global economy with the arrival on online shopping.

If I go into a LBS (or other retailer) and ask for advice and recommendations then I purchase my product from their store. THe premium I pay on those purchases is to get their expert advice.

For items I don't need advice on I purchase at whoever can provide me the best service/price ratio.
What he said :) LBSes aren't competitive as a box-shifter of operation.. I tend to think of them more as "cycling consultants"

Things that I can deal with myself, I'll source myself.. and usually this ends up becoming an order from eBay, Torpedo7, Phantom, Probikekit, etc.

Things I can't do myself, need advice or support with, or something I need *RIGHT NOW* (be it necessity or impatience :D ), then it's straight to one of my chosen few LBSes, most of which happen to be really good at being able to provide informed answers to weird questions :)

LBSes can sometimes surprise; for a super-duper traditional built MTB wheelset, my LBS was able to build up for far less (we're talking hundreds of dollars difference) than what I could buy mail order.

Skull said:
Has anyone order from here before if so what is the turn around like
Skull, Probikekit is very quick, given that they're on the other side of the world.. you'll receive your nice blue parcel within about a week of ordering, unless they have stock issues (which they email you about)

Best if I just post the whole bike project so you can see what we get charged over here, there are the usual frequent shopper discounts included in these prices as wellas the odd wolesale special passed on to me. Conti GP 4000s were the same price 650c or 700c.

Frameset, Wheeler T-63 54cm 650c: $100 (new old stock)
Including, Shimano 105 Headset,
Shimano 118mm sealed BB,
Alloy bottle cage and bottle.

Velocity Spartacus Deep-V wheel set 650c: $295

Velocity Veloplugs 72: $15

Continental Tyres 23x571 Grand Prix 4000 x2: $166

Continental Tubes Race 650 S60 x 3: $25

Shimano BL-R440-S brake levers: $34

Shimano SL-R440-9S 9 speed shifters: $120

Promax BR-451 AG F & R dual pivot road brake calliper set (Southcotts): $55

Sugino RD7000 Crankset, 30/42/53, 170mm, square drive,
from Greenspeed Vic: $175

Shimano FD-R443A 8 speed triple front derailleur, braze on mount: $55
(use the 8, it's 1.76mm wider)

Shimano HG70-9 12-23 9 speed cassette: $76

Shimano RD-6500GS 9 speed triple rear derailleur, Ultegra: $125

Shimano CN-HG93 9 speed Chain: $42

Shimano Pro PR368273 SP01 Suspension Seat Pillar: $33

Shimano Pro Seat Post Clamp 31.8mm, allen key type: $8

Shimano Pro Alloy Flat Bars 25.4mm, 560mm: $34

Shimano Pro PR37201 MTB Sport Grips: $9

Bi Corp HSADJ110, 110mm Adjustable Handlebar Stem, 1" (.875 ID) long quill type: $30

From Harris Cyclery: MKS GR-9 Platform Pedals US$40, Zefal Strapless Toe Clips US$10, Freight US$10, Total US$60 = $90

Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flo Saddle: $220

Total project price: $1707