Should I file a complaint?

dannomyte

Aug 11, 2005
Winnipeg, MB
I had my first run-in with a trucker for this season. I live in a rural community and my options for road cycling are very limited. I need to stick to 2-laned paved highways. Anyway, I was on my way home, 2 miles out of town, when a trucker came up behind me frantically honking his horn. There was oncoming trafic and apparently he had forgotten how to use his brakes. Knowing he had spotted me (obvious from the honking), I threw my left arm out (in Canada we ride on right) hoping to signal to him that I could not move over anymore than I was. His next move surprised me, he proceeded to slow right down and force me on to the unpaved gravel shoulder of the road. He then pulled right over and boxed me in. I jumped off my bike and he jumped out of his truck and he proceeded to explain to me that because he has sixteen more wheels than I do on my bike, that this makes him lord of the road. The ironic thing is that he is now stopped, and moments ago he couldn't find it in himself to even slow down! I have blinky lights on the front and back of my bike, and I was wearing a flashy red shirt. No problem being seen... as the honking would also indicate. I didn't want to provoke him so I just let him talk with his stupid 3rd grader mentality. Problem is, now he thinks he can get away with terrorizing cyclists and using his 18 wheeler as a weapon. What really bothers me is that these guys spend all day slowing down to make turns, go through towns, etc. and then they come up to one cyclist and decide that they would rather play with someone's life rather than take the careful route and slow down.

What should I do now? I know the name and town of the trucking firm and finding him would be no problem for the authorities. Should I file a complaint with the local police? What would you do?

absofreakinlutely!!!! not only to the cops but to the company as well. i'm in the trucking industry and have plenty of contacts that will know the names of mgmt of the trucking firm if you have the driver name or the truck ID number and fleet name. unless of course he drives for himself.

dannomyte said:
What should I do now? I know the name and town of the trucking firm and finding him would be no problem for the authorities. Should I file a complaint with the local police? What would you do?
Assuming Canadian law is on your side, YES! Also write a constructive informative letter to the owner of the firm to make him aware he/she has a driver ignorant to Canadian traffic laws, and a potential road rage problem.

I don't know how far you'll get with the police since you've both left the scene, but you should certainly call the trucking firm. These companies know that aggressive drivers can end up getting them sued out of business and they usually respond quickly to complaints.

Definetly file a complaint. If you know a lawyer's name you can drop wouldn't hurt too.

I was riding with my son last year on a very snakey road when a pickup swung out into the other lane on a blind curve in order to get around us. When he did, he almost ran into an oncoming car! I couldn't believe that any IDIOT would attempt what he did. Furthermore, we chased him down to his house, so even if he had stayed behind us, he was almost home. I proceded to inform him of the relative intelligence of his actions in a voice loud enough that his neighbors, family, and everyone else in the neighborhood knew what happened.

brick654 said:
I was riding with my son last year on a very snakey road when a pickup swung out into the other lane on a blind curve in order to get around us. When he did, he almost ran into an oncoming car! I couldn't believe that any IDIOT would attempt what he did. Furthermore, we chased him down to his house, so even if he had stayed behind us, he was almost home. I proceded to inform him of the relative intelligence of his actions in a voice loud enough that his neighbors, family, and everyone else in the neighborhood knew what happened.
About a month ago I almost caught the rear wheels of a logging truck that did that. Here in VT, double yellow lines are optional unless there's a sign specifically telling you not to pass. The guy tried to get around me going around a blind, uphill corner and there was a car coming down the other way. Unfortunately it was a long climb and I wasn't able to catch up with the truck.

check out my post on the new law in Oklahoma,this trucker could be facing a a large fine or even a jail term.

dannomyte said:
I had my first run-in with a trucker for this season. I live in a rural community and my options for road cycling are very limited. I need to stick to 2-laned paved highways. Anyway, I was on my way home, 2 miles out of town, when a trucker came up behind me frantically honking his horn. There was oncoming trafic and apparently he had forgotten how to use his brakes. Knowing he had spotted me (obvious from the honking), I threw my left arm out (in Canada we ride on right) hoping to signal to him that I could not move over anymore than I was. His next move surprised me, he proceeded to slow right down and force me on to the unpaved gravel shoulder of the road. He then pulled right over and boxed me in. I jumped off my bike and he jumped out of his truck and he proceeded to explain to me that because he has sixteen more wheels than I do on my bike, that this makes him lord of the road. The ironic thing is that he is now stopped, and moments ago he couldn't find it in himself to even slow down! I have blinky lights on the front and back of my bike, and I was wearing a flashy red shirt. No problem being seen... as the honking would also indicate. I didn't want to provoke him so I just let him talk with his stupid 3rd grader mentality. Problem is, now he thinks he can get away with terrorizing cyclists and using his 18 wheeler as a weapon. What really bothers me is that these guys spend all day slowing down to make turns, go through towns, etc. and then they come up to one cyclist and decide that they would rather play with someone's life rather than take the careful route and slow down.

absolutely!!!!!!!!!You pay as much rates and taxs as himto be able to ride on the road! i would without a doubt contact the company and mention his behaviour you might not be their first call..............safe cycling, enjoy

[size=-1]Okay, so I got up the courage to call the trucking company and I was very well received. I sensed the person I was talking to was especially attentive when I told them that the driver actually stopped the truck, boxed me in on the side of the road, and then proceeded to harass me. This is when I think he realized that this was not just another complaint about truckers, but that I acutally had a valid issue. I helped him narrow down who the driver was based on the time and my description of the driver, and I felt that in the end he knew exactly who he was. He thanked me for calling and he said he would deal with it. I feel somewhat better. I am disappointed that this is the first time he has heard of this issue, because it confirms my suspision that the policion would do nothing, and they didn't.

I also called the Manitoba Trukcing Association, but this company was not a member so nothing they could do..

Thanks again for all your support and stay safe everyone![/size]