should I get another bike

sam67

Sep 14, 2010
I have an avanti blade flat bar road bike I cant recall how old, but I suspect five or six years. I commute each day about 14kms.

I need a new wheel
I need a new seat.
The front cogs need replacing.

The frame is fine but Im wary of replacing stuff and further stuff wears out or breaks.

To get a decent new crx 1 or crx 2 Im up for about 1 thousand or 1500 for the better bike.

I was going to try and price the components on cell bikes to see how much they would cost but I'm nervous I'll will buy the wrong stuff.

Its weird in the bike industry a salesman will normally say you need a new bike and the guy who is out the back who wants to continue repairing the bike says its a great bike and just fix it.

I have a tendency to keep bikes too long.

. . . and I have the tendency to not keep bikes long enough, so take my advice with a grain of salt :)

That being said, unless you paid a ton for a sweet racing frame which you absolutely love (doesn't sound like this is the case), I think it is time for you to get something shiny and new. Or shiny and new to you, but lightly used by someone else. There are sweet deals out there. My current love used to be my teammate's bike until he decided to "upgrade". So, look around a bit, you might be surprised to see what you can find for not too much money . . .