Should i give up rugby and give way for cycling?

CycleLad99

Apr 16, 2016
Ireland
Hi Guys,
I started playing rugby in January and haven't even played a match yet. I enjoy watching matches but I have been thinking and I am now scared of all the I juries such as head injuries brain trauma and especially muscle I juries which may stop me from cycling also. So should I give it up and join a cycling club instead to devote my time to? How can I tell the club I want to give up and also my mom and dad? I have been telling all of these I am enjoying it but really I am really nervous about all these injuries. I just need to know how to tell them I like race cycling instead? They'll probably think I can't keep up something and won't allow me spend money on a bike and gear. How can I convince them?

Thanks

Give it a try first before you cross it out completely. I think you are just suffering from stage fright. One thing doesn't impede the other, you can easily do the two.

Reactions: CycleLad99
Well, I was going to say don't give up one thing for another... you can always do both! But, if you're afraid of injury then maybe rugby isn't the right sport for you, as it it pretty tough. But, at the end of the day the choice is yours! Do what you think is best... if rugby isn't for you try cycling.

If you actually have the mannersto switch to cycling then go ahead and do it , if I were you I woulddefinitely do it no doubts,

Rugby is one of the toughest sports around. It is even brutal at some point so if you think that you can get hurt your mindset can produce some kind of shield that can slow you down and make you go easy in the contact play and with that attitude you won't get far in rugby. I'm just saying it is possible. Cycling is tough in so many different ways. You need your mental strength as well as the physical. The stress that bikers go through is unbelievable.

Don't be scared of the injuries, they rarely happen though the fact that an instance of injury does occur and is existent, you could get injured by biking as well if you get hit by a car and what not. Lets hope you don't, but just an example.

Why not do both rugby and cycling? Draw up a timetable and fit in each activity in your daily schedule. However, your choice of sports or recreational activity should be a personal matter. Don't force yourself to do things you don't like just to please other people. If your passion lies in cycling rather than rugby, go ahead and talk about it your parents and team mates. I'm sure they'll understand.

If you enjoy rugby and its just the injury situation that is putting you off continuing, then I'd wait and see how you feel when you have played a few matches and not decide until then.

The last thing you want to do is give up the rugby and concentrate on the cycling, if really you're going to have regrets about not giving it a chance. If you only took the sport up in January, 3 months isn't really enough time to decide in my opinion.

How can I tell my parents that I want to give it up? What's the best time to talk to them? They are not really supportive so I really need to convince them about the cycling. They can be a bit cranky if I don't talk to them at the right time.

Don't give up yet. And don't predispose yourself to getting serious injuries, that'll make the matter worse. Now, If you really want to quit rugby. Well, you have to talk to them as soon as possible before investing some serious time on rugby. You need to have a honest talk with them, and be wary of regret it afterwards and desire to go back to Rugby. That'll really make them angry.

It's simple, choose what you like the most. If this was for me, it would be simple, biking is way more fun for me. Think what would be harder to let go.

That's up to you, nothing else to say, it's whichever sport you think you'll enjoy the most, and I can't answer that for you.

I would say give it up. There's more longevity in riding than there is in rugby. Rugby is pretty intense though. If you still love it, then it might be hard to give up. If you're starting to feel injuries from it, and are getting older, then you might want to switch over sooner than later.

I would say give it up. There's more longevity in riding than there is in rugby. Rugby is pretty intense though. If you still love it, then it might be hard to give up. If you're starting to feel injuries from it, and are getting older, then you might want to switch over sooner than later.

But for some the pain is worth the pleasure of doing a sport they love. Even riding a bike can cause injury such as crashes, howbeit not as often as Rugby but potentially more severe than Rugby.

Rugby is indeed a dangerous sport, and many professional and even non-professional rugby players have suffered life altering injuries. Cycling isn't without it's risks, as road accidents do occur. But cycling is definitely a cleaner and more civilized sport than rugby, and the long-term health benefits of cycling trumps rugby. I've noticed that most older cyclists tend to be in much better shape than their rugby or football peers.

Rugby is indeed a dangerous sport, and many professional and even non-professional rugby players have suffered life altering injuries. Cycling isn't without it's risks, as road accidents do occur. But cycling is definitely a cleaner and more civilized sport than rugby, and the long-term health benefits of cycling trumps rugby. I've noticed that most older cyclists tend to be in much better shape than their rugby or football peers.
It really comes down to what you are doing on the field and what position you play. There is a big difference between professional and amateur rugby.

Cycling is definitely the safer option (unless you get run over by a bus or something). With rugby, be prepared to go home with bumps, bruises, and sore body parts all over. You don't want that, right? There's also a chance to break your bones, give you concussions, break your neck, etc. Try cycling, to see if it's your thing. It's a lot safer, you get your cardio there too, and you get to enjoy the scenery while driving around the city or the countryside. It's definitely my choice if I had to pick between the two.

I would not recommend you to directly give up just because of injuries. Don't be nervous just because of injuries. You can enjoy both cycling and rugby. :)

Give it a try first before you cross it out completely. I think you are just suffering from stage fright. One thing doesn't impede the other, you can easily do the two.
It's a good suggestion. You can do both and I think that's the best choice you can make. As many members, suggested, you can continue both. You are free to make you own decision but I think you should continue both.