Should I go back to my LBS?

grandamn

Apr 18, 2011
I have always bought everything and done everything on my own at home or on the Internet. I went to my LBS yesterday and my rear Michelin Pro 3 had a tear in it. He replaced the tube and Sole me a rear Vittoria Rubino PRO Slick. I also purchased the Uvex FP3 helmet. As expected I would pay more at the LBS ($232) but now I'm buying another Michelin Pro 3. The Vittoria is nice and seems like a great year round tire but when riding on the Michelin Pro 3's seems like you're riding on glass and turning on rails. He did do a minor adjustment on my rear derailleur too.

He seemed like a really nice guy I just don't know what to think? He said he swore by the Vittoria and he didn't explain the difference that the Michelin was a race tire.

Michelin Pro3's are a race tire. The Rubino's are a training tire and feel a little "dead" IMO. You will get more mileage out of the Vittoria though, and possibly fewer flats. Some folks have brand alliegence for whatever reasons. If it were my shift, and looking at something comprable to the Pro3's of course, you woulda rolled outta the store with some CX's ontop of latex tubes /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

There's a pretty big diff between those two tires though, but sometimes as well meaning and friendly as the LBS staff can be, they don't always know what time it is (especiall. Doesn't mean they are untrustworthy. If anything he downsold you and saved you some $$. Love that helmet btw, I run the same one.

I can't figure out why there's even a question about what the LBS suggested. The Vittoria is a fine tire. A lot of people might very well like it better than the Michelin. More importantly, tires are like underwear and saddles in that the opinion people have of 'em are as varied as people are.

Originally Posted by alienator .

More importantly, tires are like underwear and saddles in that the opinion people have of 'em are as varied as people are.
+1. And unless you think the bike shop is trying to mislead you there's no reason not to go back. It sounds like they are friendly enough. As Alienator pointed out, opinions vary between riders, and sometimes we also hold onto old notions of what we once thought. My opinion of the Rubino's is from riding them years ago - no doubt they've evolved. Some still hold the notion of Conti's as slow rolling unresponsive tires, which changed quite drastically in their recent evolution toward black chili.

If anything I would relay my thoughts on the tire to the guys at the LBS and see what they say - "Hey, I liked the Rubino but I think I'd be more happy with something with the riding charateristics of the Mich3's".

I would definitely go back, not because I know or agree with anything but because I believe in supporting local independent businesses as much as possible. YMMV.

I don't know why it has to be the Internet... OR.. the Local Bicycle Shop. Some larger (or national chain stores) have both a store and and an extensive Web Site. Although none of the local Mom & Pop sized LBS's have much of Web Site in my area... (I think that is a darn shame, too).

I love the local Bike shops! I wish they had better stores..... one guy doesn't even bother to wash his windows. I wish at least one would have a coffee bar. I like to stop in and shop when the weather is too **** to bicycle.

I value the advice I get from the LBS "experts".... even though they are as often wrong as correct. We are all in this together and the LBS is very much a part of the journey.... IMHO.

If I walked into my LBS with a flat tire I wouldnt be to worried about the tire I just bought. I would be alarmed that I ended up spending $232 on a helmet. I could get five quality helmets with change at that price.

I think danfonz had the best answer to my question. Thank you everyone for the reply. I found on groupon another shop that did a complete overhaul for $100. Every where else wanted like $175 Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2