Should I go for a double or triple?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Trg, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Hi RBTers,

    I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able to
    manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).

    Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go from a
    triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple
    solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?

    Thanks

    ---

  2. Rwm

    Rwm Guest

    You might want to a goggle search of this. It has been discussed plenty in the past 6 months. You
    will find that there are lots of different opinions. Some people say that they loved it when they
    made the switch to a triple.Another group people will tell you to go to smaller chainrings in the
    front, and still others will talk about the merits of a 12-27, or larger, rear cassette. It will
    also depend a lot on your riding style/goals. Good luck with your decision.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, trg <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi RBTers,
    >
    >I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    >ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    >should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    >to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    >Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it?

    Well if you can't do some rides without it, then you'd better have it or choose to avoid
    those rides.

    > What parts do I have to change to go from a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter,
    > front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?

    Sure, put on a 12-27 cassette (and probably a chain) when you're headed for the hills.

    --Paul

  4. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] here.com says...
    > Hi RBTers,
    >
    > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    > ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    > should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    > to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go from
    > a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple
    > solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?

    Obviously, that depends on your level of fitness and the riding you'll
    do. At 55, I like my triple for the mountains. Yes, it weighs a little more, and yes, it doesn't
    shift quite as precisely as a double. But it's really not a problem if properly adjusted, and
    it's great to have the bail-out gears on long, steep uphill rides. I appreciate having gears
    that let me find just the right cadence and level of effort to remain aerobic during long
    uphill pulls.

    Rick

  5. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Java Man (Espressopithecus)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] here.com says...
    > > Hi RBTers,
    > >
    > > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For
    > > any ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the
    time
    > > spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But should I want to head to
    the
    > > high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able to manage with 39x23
    > > (without doping, of course ;-).
    > >
    > > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go
    > > from a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank,
    BB,
    > > shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra
    > > double?
    > >
    > Obviously, that depends on your level of fitness and the riding you'll
    > do. At 55, I like my triple for the mountains. Yes, it weighs a little more, and yes, it doesn't
    > shift quite as precisely as a double. But it's really not a problem if properly adjusted, and
    > it's great to have the bail-out gears on long, steep uphill rides. I appreciate having gears
    > that let me find just the right cadence and level of effort to remain aerobic during long
    > uphill pulls.
    >
    > Rick

    Double !

    Graham

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    > ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    > should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    > to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).

    Why don't you visit the high country more right now? Are you afraid of the hills? If you get lower
    gears, maybe you'll visit the mountains more often.

  7. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:39:24 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    >ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    >should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    >to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).

    Instead of doping, try training.

    --
    Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
    top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

  8. trg wrote:
    > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    > ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    > should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    > to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go from
    > a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple
    > solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?

    If you're going with a double but want to be able to change, make sure you get the front and rear
    deraileurs, shifters and bottom bracket for a triple. They will work with the double crank so all
    you have to change is the crank when you want to change (and adjust the front deraileur). In other
    words, if you're dead set on ultegra, get a triple setup and buy a double crank to go with it.

    Another way to go is to own a 12x27 cassette, though that won't get you as low as a triple.

    Yet another way to go is to get a 110 BCD double (FSA makes them. I think a couple of others). It
    will let you go down to 34 in the front with a simple chainring replacement. This could also be
    combined with the 12x27 to get a fairly low gear of 34-27; slightly lower than a 30-23. The rest of
    the time you can go with a 39 or whatever on the small ring just as before. 110's are cool. They
    should really be more common. Tyler Hamilton used one in the mountain stages of the tour this year
    so maybe they'll get a bit more popularity.

    --Bill Davidson
    --
    Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

    I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

  9. Trg

    Trg Guest

    It's a bit far to just go out for a spin on the Ventoux. Once a year is more like it. But I like the
    way you think :)

    "Ken" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:[email protected]...
    > "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For
    > > any ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be
    > > ok. But should I want to
    head
    > > to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able to manage with 39x23
    > > (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Why don't you visit the high country more right now? Are you afraid of
    the
    > hills? If you get lower gears, maybe you'll visit the mountains more
    often.

    ---

  10. B

    B Guest

    >If you're going with a double but want to be able to change, make sure you get the front and rear
    >deraileurs, shifters and bottom bracket for a triple. They will work with the double crank so all
    >you have to change is the crank when you want to change (and adjust the front deraileur). In other
    >words, if you're dead set on ultegra, get a triple setup

    good advice! B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  11. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    One simple way to look at it s that a triple is always a double too. A double, on the other hand is
    never a triple. In other words, it you get a triple and decide that you don't like it, you pull out
    your allen wrench and remove the inner ring (it actually takes a little more work), and then you
    have a double. Later on, you decide to ride over the rockies with a backpack, a tent, light, a baby
    cart, you take out your allen wrench, and you have a triple again.

    A triple also gives you the advantage that if you race and you want very close gear ratios, you can
    get a 12-23 cassette. You'll still have enough gears to cross any mountains with a triple.

    The only advantage of a double is that your bike will look more like Lance amstrong's bike. If this
    is important to you, by all menas, get a double. However, in terms of usefullness, the triple has
    all the advanages of a double and a lot more. The day, that a photographer takes a picture of pro
    cyclist with a triple will be the last day of the existence of double cranks.

    I am trying to get find some paint that will make my triple ring invisible, that way, I can keep it
    on my bike and still look like Lance (actually only my bike)

    Andres

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi RBTers,
    >
    > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    > ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    > should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    > to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go from
    > a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple
    > solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---

  12. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Thanks for the answer. That's what my hunch was. Is shifting with triple setup on a double crankset
    smooth? Is the rear derailer of a triple different than that of a double (longer?) What difference
    will that make when I put on my double crank? When going from 3 to 2, other than the crank (and
    chain rings), is there anything else that needs to be changed?

    "Bill Davidson" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...
    > trg wrote:
    > > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For
    > > any ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the
    time
    > > spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But should I want to head to
    the
    > > high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able to manage with 39x23
    > > (without doping, of course ;-).
    > >
    > > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go
    > > from a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank,
    BB,
    > > shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra
    > > double?
    >
    > If you're going with a double but want to be able to change, make sure you get the front and rear
    > deraileurs, shifters and bottom bracket for a
    triple.
    > They will work with the double crank so all you have to change is the
    crank
    > when you want to change (and adjust the front deraileur). In other words, if you're dead set on
    > ultegra, get a triple setup and buy a double crank
    > go with it.
    >
    > Another way to go is to own a 12x27 cassette, though that won't get you as low as a triple.
    >
    > Yet another way to go is to get a 110 BCD double (FSA makes them. I think a couple of others). It
    > will let you go down to 34 in the front with a simple chainring replacement. This could also be
    > combined with the 12x27 to get a fairly low gear of 34-27; slightly lower than a 30-23. The rest
    > of the time you can go with a 39 or whatever on the small ring just as before. 110's are cool.
    > They should really be more common. Tyler
    Hamilton
    > used one in the mountain stages of the tour this year so maybe they'll get a bit more popularity.
    >
    > --Bill Davidson
    > --
    > Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.
    >
    > I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

    ---

  13. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:39:24 +0200, trg <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I

    Most likely. It doesn't cost much in money or weight, and adds functionality and comfort (even if
    only on rare occasions).

    > have to change to go from a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front
    > derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?

    To change from a double to a triple can require a whole new system -- cranks, front der, rear der,
    and front [and possibly rear] shifters.

    To change from a triple to a double can be done as simply as removing the ring, and maybe making an
    adjustment to the front derailleur, or can be done as completely as the parts list for the
    double->triple conversion.

    See, with a set of double componentry, your front derailleur doesn't have the required travel, nor
    does the shifter; and the rear derailleur likely wasn't made to take up all the slack that gets
    released when you shift into the granny gear.

    OTOH, the triple rear derailleur can, of course, be used with just the two front rings; and the
    front derailleur may even be able to be adjustable so far that you can't accidentally shift off the
    end of your chainrings, but even if not, you could just remember not to do it. Then again, you could
    just leave the triple on there.

    --
    Rick Onanian

  14. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:59:56 GMT, Paul Southworth <cnhyf- [email protected]> wrote:
    >> shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra
    >> double?
    >
    > Sure, put on a 12-27 cassette (and probably a chain) when you're headed for the hills.

    Sorry, the 27 low gear isn't as good as a granny gear.

    It does force me to put some oomph into it, though, so maybe it's good for my health.

    --
    Rick Onanian

  15. Marathon

    Marathon Guest

    Campy 39-53 Rear-29 Great for a guy like me?

    comments?

    "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:39:24 +0200, trg <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I
    >
    > Most likely. It doesn't cost much in money or weight, and adds functionality and comfort (even if
    > only on rare occasions).
    >
    > > have to change to go from a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank,
    BB,
    > > shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra
    > > double?
    >
    > To change from a double to a triple can require a whole new system -- cranks, front der, rear der,
    > and front [and possibly rear] shifters.
    >
    > To change from a triple to a double can be done as simply as removing the ring, and maybe making
    > an adjustment to the front derailleur, or can be done as completely as the parts list for the
    > double->triple conversion.
    >
    > See, with a set of double componentry, your front derailleur doesn't have the required travel, nor
    > does the shifter; and the rear derailleur likely wasn't made to take up all the slack that gets
    > released when you shift into the granny gear.
    >
    > OTOH, the triple rear derailleur can, of course, be used with just the two front rings; and the
    > front derailleur may even be able to be adjustable so far that you can't accidentally shift off
    > the end of your chainrings, but even if not, you could just remember not to do it. Then again, you
    > could just leave the triple on there.
    >
    > > Thanks
    > --
    > Rick Onanian

  16. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:34:32 +0200, trg <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Thanks for the answer. That's what my hunch was. Is shifting with triple setup on a double
    > crankset smooth?

    Yes.

    > Is the rear derailer of a triple different than that of a double (longer?)

    Yes.

    > What difference will that make when I put on my double crank?

    None.

    > When going from 3 to 2, other than the crank (and chain rings), is there anything else that needs
    > to be changed?

    Nothing at all needs to be changed; you can just ignore the granny gear.

    You can optimize your bike for a slight amount of weight loss by replacing the derailleurs and front
    shifter in addition to the crank. It's probably very, very slight.

    --
    Rick Onanian

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    >On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 18:59:56 GMT, Paul Southworth <cnhyf- [email protected]> wrote:
    >>> shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra
    >>> double?
    >>
    >> Sure, put on a 12-27 cassette (and probably a chain) when you're headed for the hills.
    >
    >Sorry, the 27 low gear isn't as good as a granny gear.

    Of course you can get a lot lower with a 74mm chainring, but there's not a huge difference between a
    30x23 and a 39x27. Changing only the cassette is by far the cheapest fix, and it can be quickly and
    easily removed when not needed.

    --Paul

  18. In article <[email protected]>, Marathon
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Campy 39-53 Rear-29 Great for a guy like me?

    Works fine with the long-cage derailleur. I had been using a 1999 short-cage Chorus derailleur with
    a 9-speed 13-28 just fine, so I made the mistaken assumption that the new mid-cage might work with
    the 13-29 10-speed setup, but it sucked.

    --Paul

  19. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 20:55:11 GMT, Marathon <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Campy 39-53 Rear-29 Great for a guy like me?
    >
    > comments?

    I can deal with my 39 x 27, but I'd like a granny gear. I bet a 39 x 29 is incrementally
    better...but I'd still rather have the triple. Anyway, then you could have a much touted close ratio
    cassette, like an 11-23 or some such, and still have the range.

    Choices:

    -- Double, close-ratio. Not a lot of range. Very elite. You'll need to be Lance Legstrong to ride,
    at least around here.

    -- Double, wide-ratio. Medium range. Marginally less elitism value. Usable, forces you to
    get strong.

    -- Triple, close-ratio. Large range. Not elite but doesn't make you look lame. Comfortable, fun,
    and you can train like elitists if you want just by ignoring granny ring.

    -- Triple, wide-ratio. Very wide range. Useful on a road bike if you pull a trailer, carry heavy
    panniers, are very overweight, or weak. May cause Fabrizio to strangle you with his jersey.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  20. Marathon

    Marathon Guest

    True.

    Mine is long cage Record 2003, I love this setup. A double with all the gears of a triple!!

    news:cWzXa.36919$A%[email protected]...