Should I go for a double or triple?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Trg, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    I recently had to make a similar choice. I ended up going with the Record triple setup and I don't
    regret it one bit. The gearing is
    52/42/30 with an 11-23 on the back. This gives a very close gearing on the back and still has a
    nice range.

    The shifting is still very crisp. I do have to be a bit careful when going to the 52->42 as it
    doesn't shift clean under load but that usually isn't a problem.

    "trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi RBTers,
    >
    > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    > ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But
    > should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able
    > to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go from
    > a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple
    > solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---

  2. B

    B Guest

    >I recently had to make a similar choice. I ended up going with the Record triple setup and I don't
    >regret it one bit. The gearing is
    >52/42/30 with an 11-23 on the back

    I have a Campy 50/40/30 on one bike, and a 110/74 pattern with 48/36/26 on the other bike. I much
    prefer the 48/36/26. howrver, my next bike will probably be 48/34. B

    (remove clothes to reply)

  3. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Thanks to everyone for their considered responses.

    Given my advancing age and declining knees, Triple it is!

    "trg" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message news:
    [email protected]
    > Hi RBTers,
    >
    > I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For any
    > ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the
    time
    > spent on the bike), the double will be ok. But should I want to head to
    the
    > high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be able to manage with 39x23 (without
    > doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Should I get the triple, even though I'll hardly use it? What parts do I have to change to go from
    > a triple to a double, or vice versa (crank, BB, shifter, front derailler, ?); Is there a simple
    > solution to add a granny gear to an Ultegra double?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---

  4. Gwhite

    Gwhite Guest

  5. Gwhite

    Gwhite Guest

    Top Sirloin wrote:

    > On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:39:24 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For
    > >any ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be ok.
    > >But should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I would't be
    > >able to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >
    > Instead of doping, try training.

    Scott,

    This is rbt. They are afraid of the LT. Remember?

  6. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:03:17 -0700, gwhite <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You can use a 53-33 chainring combo successfully (with friction front)

    It's not necessarily what you can get to shift but what is most rider friendly.

    I used a 50/34 with a Campy front derailleur and the shifting with Campy Ergo lever was very smooth.
    The 50t ring was not ramped or pinned. I did not grind the nose of the derailleur down to lower the
    front derailleur.

    Chain choice turned out to be a very important factor in getting a smooth upshift. The KMC chain
    would hardly make the shift. A Sram chain worked but it needed a while to upshift. An IRD 10 sp
    chain was good. Best was a 9sp Shimano Hyperglide chain. Best by far.

    I removed the 50 and went back to a 48. With the 50 there was a lot of times when the chain was at
    the extremes of the cogs, meaning the outer 2 or inner 2. I cross chained a lot. The cassette was a
    12/23. By going back to my 48t ring and a 12/25 cassette. The 12/23 would be fine for me as far as
    range but requires more cross shifting. I can get more riding out of the 48t ring before chainging
    down to the 34. I'd imagine a 52/33 would have even more complicated shifting.

    I live in a hilly to mountainous area. I think I've settled on 110 bolt pattern crankset as ideal
    and the 48/34 x 12/25 as best for me. With a Shimano hub, I'd say that a 12/27 would be very
    acceptable. I have not tried a 46/34 x 11/23 yet. I think that I'd have to change front derailleur.
    A Shimano 105 with the nose ground a bit would likely work fine.

  7. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:05:44 -0700, gwhite <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Top Sirloin wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:39:24 +0200, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm going to buy a road bike and am wondering whether to get the Ultegra Double or Triple. For
    >> >any ride I'm likely to do in my area (>95% of the time spent on the bike), the double will be
    >> >ok. But should I want to head to the high country (for me that's the Alps or Pyrenees), I
    >> >would't be able to manage with 39x23 (without doping, of course ;-).
    >>
    >> Instead of doping, try training.
    >
    >Scott,
    >
    >This is rbt. They are afraid of the LT. Remember?

    Doh!

    --
    Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
    top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

  8. Gwhite

    Gwhite Guest

    Paul Kopit wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:03:17 -0700, gwhite <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >You can use a 53-33 chainring combo successfully (with friction front)
    >
    > It's not necessarily what you can get to shift but what is most rider friendly.

    It shifts much better than anticipated with a standard 105 double derailleur. The only real factor
    is simply the step size. With rear indexing that difficulty is mitigated. Ask Sheldon Brown about
    his 50-28 double ring setup.

    > I used a 50/34 with a Campy front derailleur and the shifting with Campy Ergo lever was very
    > smooth. The 50t ring was not ramped or pinned. I did not grind the nose of the derailleur down to
    > lower the front derailleur.

    The 53t ring mentioned/used is a low cost non-pinned, non-ramped, and non-gated one.

    > Chain choice turned out to be a very important factor in getting a smooth upshift. The KMC chain
    > would hardly make the shift. A Sram chain worked but it needed a while to upshift. An IRD 10 sp
    > chain was good. Best was a 9sp Shimano Hyperglide chain. Best by far.

    A 9sp SRAM PC59 is used. A 0.6 mm (IIRC, it might be a 1.0 mm) spacer(s) is put between the 33t and
    the crank arms to improve downshift performance.

    > I removed the 50 and went back to a 48. With the 50 there was a lot of times when the chain was at
    > the extremes of the cogs, meaning the outer 2 or inner 2. I cross chained a lot. The cassette was
    > a 12/23. By going back to my 48t ring and a 12/25 cassette. The 12/23 would be fine for me as far
    > as range but requires more cross shifting. I can get more riding out of the 48t ring before
    > chainging down to the 34. I'd imagine a 52/33 would have even more complicated shifting.

    The cassette used is often a 12-13-14-15-16-18-21-24-28 or a 13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-28. If the
    53x24 is allowed as the max cross, then the shift to the little ring is very uncommon -- entire 60
    mi rides are done without the chain kissing the 33t (but steep mountain climbs are available too --
    that's why the 33x28 is there). This lack of need to double shift was an unexpected advantage to the
    setup. Solo cruising is typically in the (53x)15-21 cog tooth range. Thus a high amount of cross is
    not much of a problem. Furthermore, the chainline is biased a small bit to center the big ring.

    > I live in a hilly to mountainous area. I think I've settled on 110 bolt pattern crankset as ideal
    > and the 48/34 x 12/25 as best for me.

    110 mm makes the most sense.

    > With a Shimano hub, I'd say that a 12/27 would be very acceptable. I have not tried a 46/34 x
    > 11/23 yet. I think that I'd have to change front derailleur. A Shimano 105 with the nose ground a
    > bit would likely work fine.

    Again, the 105 double works fine with the 53x33 with no modification, Shimano specs notwithstanding.
    Again, the front is shifted via the friction method.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, gwhite <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Again, the 105 double works fine with the 53x33 with no modification,

    This is certainly interesting to know. Thanks. I suspect my existing Suntour front won't do
    52x34, so...