Should I go to Boston as a Bandit?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Roger 2k, Mar 13, 2004.

  1. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to take
    photos, but today things changed.

    I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a lot
    of my photos and she told me they even have a place for
    Bandits, it is way in the back.

    This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York until
    see saw other bandits getting pulled off the course.

    Now my only question is, what would be the best way to get
    from the finish to the start?

    Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will have a
    lot of photos from a back of the pack runner, sort of like
    what I did at Chicago two years ago.

    Many thanks, Roger

    Tags:

  2. Bumper

    Bumper Guest

    Yes, by all means, you should go and ruin it for others
    who paid their dues to be there. And by the way be sure to
    pack a couple of box cutters in your carry-on bag for the
    flight there.

    Roger 2k <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to take
    > photos, but today things changed.
    >
    > I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > lot of my photos and she told me they even have a place
    > for Bandits, it is way in the back.
    >
    > This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York
    > until see saw other bandits getting pulled off the course.
    >
    > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to get
    > from the finish to the start?
    >
    > Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will have
    > a lot of photos from a back of the pack runner, sort of
    > like what I did at Chicago two years ago.
    >
    > Many thanks, Roger

  3. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    Since I would start at the way back, I would not take
    anything from a runner who qualified. How did you miss
    that fact?

    I have paid for and ran enough races in my life to know what
    would upset me. I would not care if a bandit wanted to start
    way back behind me as long as they did not get a finishers
    metal or their name listed in the results. You know that
    will not happen.

    Do you know anything about Boston and have you been there
    before? It looks like UJ might be more qualified to
    answer my post.

    Thanks anyway.

    Bumper wrote in message
    <1gallfb.1783cmd1v31eiqN%[email protected]>...
    >Yes, by all means, you should go and ruin it for others
    >who paid their dues to be there. And by the way be sure to
    >pack a couple of box cutters in your carry-on bag for the
    >flight there.
    >
    >Roger 2k <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to
    >> take photos, but
    today
    >> things changed.
    >>
    >> I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    >> lot of my photos
    and
    >> she told me they even have a place for Bandits, it is way
    >> in the back.
    >>
    >> This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York
    >> until see saw other bandits getting pulled off the
    >> course.
    >>
    >> Now my only question is, what would be the best way to
    >> get from the
    finish
    >> to the start?
    >>
    >> Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will have
    >> a lot of
    photos
    >> from a back of the pack runner, sort of like what I did
    >> at Chicago two
    years
    >> ago.
    >>
    >> Many thanks, Roger

  4. Bernard

    Bernard Guest

    "Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to take
    > photos, but
    today
    > things changed.
    >
    > I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > lot of my photos
    and
    > she told me they even have a place for Bandits, it is way
    > in the back.
    >
    > This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York
    > until see saw other bandits getting pulled off the course.
    >
    > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to get
    > from the finish to the start?
    >
    > Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will have
    > a lot of photos from a back of the pack runner, sort of
    > like what I did at Chicago two
    years
    > ago.

    Bandits are actually a part of the Boston Marathon, they are
    tolerated by the organisers and cheered by the million
    spectators along the course as much as those who have
    qualified. Bandits do not all start at the back, several
    hundreds simply jump over the raillings (where the corrals
    are) at the sound of the gun. When I ran it two years ago, I
    remember passing a short chubby guy in the first 1/2 mile,
    sure enough I looked at him and he was not wearing a bib, it
    did not bother me.

    Have fun,

    Bernard

  5. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    "Bernard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to
    > > take photos, but
    > today
    > > things changed.
    > >
    > > I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > > lot of my photos
    > and
    > > she told me they even have a place for Bandits, it is
    > > way in the back.
    > >
    > > This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York
    > > until see saw
    other
    > > bandits getting pulled off the course.
    > >
    > > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to
    > > get from the
    finish
    > > to the start?
    > >
    > > Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will
    > > have a lot of
    photos
    > > from a back of the pack runner, sort of like what I did
    > > at Chicago two
    > years
    > > ago.
    >
    > Bandits are actually a part of the Boston Marathon, they
    > are tolerated by the organisers and cheered by the million
    > spectators along the course as much as those who have
    > qualified. Bandits do not all start at the back, several
    > hundreds simply jump over the raillings (where the corrals
    > are) at the sound of the gun. When I ran it two years ago,
    > I remember passing a short chubby guy in the first 1/2
    > mile, sure enough I looked at him and he was not wearing a
    > bib, it did not bother me.
    >
    > Have fun,
    >
    > Bernard

    Thank you Bernard, but my question still stands.

    I need to know how I should get from the finish to the
    start, since I will probably not be able to use one of the
    busses they have to transport the runners.

    I've done a few point to point races before, but never as a
    bandit. I do not really like the idea, but if everything
    falls into place, meaning it is not too much trouble, I'll
    give it a go.

    2k

  6. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Roger 2k wrote:

    > I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > lot of my photos and she told me they even have a place
    > for Bandits, it is way in the back.

    They don't openly advocate bandits they just turn a blind
    eye yet set up a roped off area in the back of the corrals.
    This way they maintain their controlled start. Of course
    there are always bandits that jump in along they way. They
    do not pull anyone and they plan for the extras. You can
    even cross the finish line. Since you don't have a chip you
    can't screw up the timing.

    > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to get
    > from the finish to the start?

    Some combination of T(subway) and Taxi unless you want to
    drive and in that case you have to get there damn early as
    they close off the roads. After the race have to get back to
    retrieve your car.

    > Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will have
    > a lot of photos from a back of the pack runner, sort of
    > like what I did at Chicago two years ago.

    No, have never run Boston as a bandit and long as the RD
    does not say it illegal then go for it. At this point the
    hardest part is to find a room within 20 miles that ask for
    you to mortgage your house.

    If sure the yearly bandit thread will will now commence.

  7. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Roger 2k wrote:
    > > I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > > lot of my photos
    and
    > > she told me they even have a place for Bandits, it is
    > > way in the back.
    >
    > They don't openly advocate bandits they just turn a blind
    > eye yet set up a roped off area in the back of the
    > corrals. This way they maintain their controlled start. Of
    > course there are always bandits that jump in along they
    > way. They do not pull anyone and they plan for the extras.
    > You can even cross the finish line. Since you don't have a
    > chip you can't screw up the timing.
    >
    > > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to
    > > get from the
    finish
    > > to the start?
    >
    > Some combination of T(subway) and Taxi unless you want to
    > drive and in that case you have to get there damn early as
    > they close off the roads. After the race have to get back
    > to retrieve your car.
    >

    > > Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will
    > > have a lot of
    photos
    > > from a back of the pack runner, sort of like what I did
    > > at Chicago two
    years
    > > ago.
    >
    > No, have never run Boston as a bandit and long as the RD
    > does not say it illegal then go for it. At this point the
    > hardest part is to find a room within 20 miles that ask
    > for you to mortgage your house.
    >
    > If sure the yearly bandit thread will will now commence.
    >
    > --
    > Doug Freese

    Thanks Doug,

    I will not even bother looking for a room, so my biggest
    issue is still getting from the finish to the start,
    before the race.

    Do not forget, I drive a van with plenty of sleeping room in
    it and I plan to find a YMCA or some other place and use a
    shower there.

    I still only have one issue before I ask for those days off
    from work and maybe there is a website that will help me.

    2k

  8. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Roger 2k wrote:

    > I still only have one issue before I ask for those days
    > off from work and maybe there is a website that will
    > help me.

    Then you definitely want to leave your van near the finish.
    You will need to get a dry/warm change of clothes after you
    finish since you will not have access to the baggage busses.
    If it's a cold day as does happen, you will need to change
    quickly and those space blankets are not very useful.

  9. Hottie

    Hottie Guest

    "Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to
    > > get from the finish
    > to the start?

    Taxi cab.

  10. N_a_j

    N_a_j Guest

    "Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to take
    > photos, but today things changed.
    >
    > I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > lot of my photos and she told me they even have a place
    > for Bandits, it is way in the back.
    >
    > This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York
    > until see saw other bandits getting pulled off the course.
    >
    > Now my only question is, what would be the best way to get
    > from the finish to the start?
    >
    > Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will have
    > a lot of photos from a back of the pack runner, sort of
    > like what I did at Chicago two years ago.
    >
    > Many thanks, Roger

    Why didn't you qualify? Was it because you didn't run in an
    official Boston-qualifying race, or was it because you are
    just not fast enough period? If you are not able to qualify,
    then I would say you have absolutely no business being there
    except as a spectator. I don't want to hear about the
    romanticized history of bandits at Boston either. Qualify
    for the race, pay the money, and run the damn race as it is
    meant to be.

  11. Bumper

    Bumper Guest

    Yes I can read, I read all your bullshit rationalizations.
    They don't hold water.

    Yes I have been to the big show, a long time ago when I was
    younger and faster, and maybe someday I'll get to go again
    and if I do it will be because I earned it.

    Since morals, ethics and legality don't seen to faze you
    then how about the simple facts. They paid, one way or
    another they paid, the BAA has x amount of resources for
    the runners who paid who they (the BAA) are expecting.
    Everything from the cups for the water to the cops manning
    the intersections. If you have run any marathon then you
    must know that not all of those who start before you finish
    before you, so the first time you grab a cup of water you
    are taking something away from somebody who deserves it
    more than you. The very fact that you are taking up space
    on a course and the limelight that rightfully belongs to
    someone who deserves it should be cause for pause, but it
    probably won't so go ahead and run it and while you are out
    there try to keep a nice sharp picture of Rosie Ruiz in
    mind. Sermon over.

    Roger 2k <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Since I would start at the way back, I would not take
    > anything from a runner who qualified. How did you miss
    > that fact?
    >
    > I have paid for and ran enough races in my life to know
    > what would upset me. I would not care if a bandit wanted
    > to start way back behind me as long as they did not get a
    > finishers metal or their name listed in the results. You
    > know that will not happen.
    >
    > Do you know anything about Boston and have you been there
    > before? It looks like UJ might be more qualified to answer
    > my post.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >

    > Bumper wrote in message
    > <1gallfb.1783cmd1v31eiqN%[email protected]>...
    > >Yes, by all means, you should go and ruin it for others
    > >who paid their dues to be there. And by the way be sure
    > >to pack a couple of box cutters in your carry-on bag for
    > >the flight there.
    > >
    > >Roger 2k <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I never qualified and I was thinking of going just to
    > >> take photos, but
    > today
    > >> things changed.
    > >>
    > >> I talked with one woman, that has been the subject of a
    > >> lot of my photos
    > and
    > >> she told me they even have a place for Bandits, it is
    > >> way in the back.
    > >>
    > >> This particular woman, had planned to bandit New York
    > >> until see saw other bandits getting pulled off the
    > >> course.
    > >>
    > >> Now my only question is, what would be the best way to
    > >> get from the
    > finish
    > >> to the start?
    > >>
    > >> Look at it this way. If I bandit Boston, people will
    > >> have a lot of
    > photos
    > >> from a back of the pack runner, sort of like what I did
    > >> at Chicago two
    > years
    > >> ago.
    > >>
    > >> Many thanks, Roger

  12. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Bumper wrote:

    > Since morals, ethics and legality don't seen to faze you
    > then how about the simple facts. They paid, one way or
    > another they paid, the BAA has x amount of resources for
    > the runners who paid who they (the BAA) are expecting.
    > Everything from the cups for the water to the cops manning
    > the intersections.

    Listen motor mouth, the race allows the bandits and plans
    their resources to to meet all the needs. If the BAA
    disallowed such running I might agree and David would
    probably not even think about
    it. They have a separate starting line albeit at the back
    which is not to gather them for jail but to control the
    start and allow them to run. The majority of these
    runners are local folks.

    If the race does not ban it then it is not illegal. You can
    argue morality for every step of life.

  13. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    After reading your post, I looked up "Rosie Ruiz" and could
    not find the word Bandit associated with her anywhere.

    I have run one race legitamatly and while they had plenty of
    water, they ran out of cups. It was not because of bandits,
    it was because the cups they used were so small, some people
    ahead of me were taking 4 of them and since it was an out
    and back, that meant those same people were taking 8 cups
    per water stop.

    Bottom line: If they do not run out of cups or water at
    Boston, then the rest of your argument was no good either.

    FYI I would still like to hear from UJ.

    Thanks anyway.

    quoted from: http://www.who2.com/rosieruiz.html. In the 84th
    Boston Marathon on April 21, 1980, amateur runner Rosie Ruiz
    came from out of nowhere to win the women's race. 24 hours
    later suspicions were raised when it was found Ruiz didn't
    appear in race videotapes until near the end of the race.
    The accepted theory came to be that Ruiz had hopped a subway
    for much of the race, ran the final mile or half-mile, and
    proudly accepted the winner's medal. A week later Ruiz, who
    never admitted to cheating, was officially disqualified from
    the race, and the winner was proclaimed to be Canadian
    Jacqueline Gareau.

    "Bumper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1gam1m4.1hnnyjm13cih74N%[email protected]...
    > while you are out there try to keep a nice sharp
    > picture of Rosie Ruiz in mind. Sermon over.

  14. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    Roger 2k wrote:

    > FYI I would still like to hear from UJ.

    Why UJ? He only does big miles and unless he about 97 years
    old he has never done Boston, at least with a number, cuz he
    is way too slow.

  15. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Doug Freese <[email protected]> wrote in news:Y7Z4c.16829$c73.6067654
    @twister.nyc.rr.com:

    > Roger 2k wrote:
    >
    >> FYI I would still like to hear from UJ.
    >
    > Why UJ? He only does big miles and unless he about 97
    > years old he has never done Boston, at least with a
    > number, cuz he is way too slow.

    On behalf of UJ...

    97 f you w

  16. Tom Wheeler

    Tom Wheeler Guest

    Me :>) I would join you butt for these reasons. Energy for
    muscular contraction. carbohydrates
    bread,sugar,potato=simple sugar=absorbes to blood.
    sweets starch. simple sugar ----> stored as glygogen
    reconposted into latic acid. energy from sugar to latic
    acid. transer to ATP immediate energy for muscular
    contraction. Hard exercise lactic acid diffuses out of
    mussles into blood steam in the liver acid burned with
    oxygen into rich sugar to retun to muscel as fuel.
    Extreme fatique muscel knots and fails to regain
    original length is contractive. or/so cells need oxygen
    liver needs oxgen glycogen---->lactic acid ENERGY
    lactic to oxygen energy sugar or breath heavy re build
    sugar and glygogen reserve. worn liver maybe. next
    still figureing own solution. :>) also

    this might get teck some: well here goes.:>

    solution still in works? next respond please. :>)

  17. Drlith

    Drlith Guest

  18. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Bumper wrote:
    > > Since morals, ethics and legality don't seen to faze you
    > > then how about the simple facts. They paid, one way or
    > > another they paid, the BAA has x amount of resources for
    > > the runners who paid who they (the BAA) are expecting.
    > > Everything from the cups for the water to the cops
    > > manning the intersections.
    >
    > Listen motor mouth, the race allows the bandits and plans
    > their resources to to meet all the needs. If the BAA
    > disallowed such running I might agree and David would
    > probably not even think about
    > it.

    Whoa, when did I become the potential bandit? This is
    Roger's plan, not mine! :)

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most
    insecure people are the ones you see, putting other people

  19. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    "Doug Freese" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Roger 2k wrote:
    >
    > > FYI I would still like to hear from UJ.
    >
    > Why UJ? He only does big miles and unless he about 97
    > years old he has never done Boston, at least with a
    > number, cuz he is way too slow.
    >

    > Doug Freese

    Doug, I really appreciated your input and that line above,
    about UJ, was really directed to Bumper, not to anyone else.
    I know now I should have reworded it. BTW I got a kick out
    of Phil M's post.

    I plan to get to Boston for the whole weekend. I have heard
    from other people that went to Boston say, there is not as
    much on the last day of the expo.

    I plan to carry a cell phone, some packets of gu, a camera,
    and an extra battery for the camera. Basically, the same
    things I ran with the last time I ran the Chicago Marathon.

    I just hope I don't have to worry about being robbed in
    Boston. In Chicago, it was easy to stay with a crowd of
    people, but in Boston, most those runners will be a lot
    faster than I am.

    I am a little worried that if the crowd gets too thin, at
    the back of the pack, I might just bail out. I hope I do
    not do that.

    Thanks for everything and I might get to experience
    "heartbreak" hill sooner than I thought, I just wish I had
    more free time to prepare for it.

    2k

  20. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    "DrLith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Roger 2k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I would still like to hear from UJ.
    >
    > Now that's a strange sentiment.

    That post was a reply to Bumper because he didn't have
    anything nice to say about my question.

    I know now I should said something about "instead of Bumper"
    at the end of the UJ comment above.

    Thanks.