Should i opt for surgery?

Molala2

Sep 24, 2012
I stopped sport in the year of 1997. Thereafter, i was getting fatter and fatter. In 2008, i was found to be sufffering from depression, and have been taking pills since then. I resumed sport (cycling) in 2012. Now i am 220 pounds. I am 178 cm tall.

My limbs are not fat at all. I have arms and legs like most cyclists. However i have a very big belly. This makes me look like ET (if you are old enough to know what is ET). I keep cycling and my weight is steady, but not decrease. People say it is the side effect of my depression drug.

I am thinking that i should go to a clinic to pump out all the fat in my belly. After this i should look absolutely normal. But i am still thinking because of the surgical scar.

Alternatively, doctor said my dosage can be reduced after July this this year. If i keep working on my cycling power, I can be living a very active year when the day comes and lose weight rapidly.

How would u choose if you were me?

Reactions: haleylx4
Chicks dig scars, but I would do surgery as a last resort if were in your shoes.

Decrease dosage, increase cycling time and intensity, add a gym workout per week with a focus on core/abs focus on diet.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Chicks dig scars, but I would do surgery as a last resort if were in your shoes.

Decrease dosage, increase cycling time and intensity, add a gym workout per week with a focus on core/abs focus on diet.

Good luck!
Only if "scars" is French for money.

Liposuction isn't the answer at your weight. If you lose weight, and still have some loose flab around your middle, then you may wish to consider it. But it's not designed for weight loss.

I'd never do it, myself.

I think you should also ask strangers on a bus and cashiers at your local grocery store if you should have surgery.

Reactions: Brian in VA
mpre53 is correct, liposuction isn't used for large-scale fat reduction, but for sculpting and cleaning up after significant weight loss, or to remove smaller pockets of fat. At least, my interpretation, but I am in no way a medical doctor or other medical professional.

I would start with a good, overall training regimen and diet, one that concentrates on your abs as well as overall fitness, and go from there. Unless you have very unusual medical problems, that should help a lot. Then, you could consider doing liposuction or other plastic surgery to clean up what you can't take off via diet and exercise.

Best of luck. It's hard but worthwhile.

I have heard the initial recovery from lipo is painful, and it is not quick. You are looking at months for the swelling to go down and before superficial feeling returns to the derma over the affected area. Furthermore as with any surgery, no matter how routine, the risk of serious complication is a possibility. Minor complications may include uneven removal of fat resulting in a lumpy appearance requiring a repeat of the procedure, as well as the additional healing time which will likely not bode well for your depression. Also, you will be off the bike for months, an activity which is probably contributing to your psychological recovery.

You're asking strangers on a forum, this stranger thinks you should keep riding the bike, keep building your fitness, and once weaned from the drugs and on a trajectory of natural weight loss you'll be flying down the road. Getting through this on your own is also likely to have the lasting psychological benefit of improving your overall state of mind. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've listened to a few people like this. A doctor is not the answer. You need to eat better and educate yourself about what you eat. It sounds like you have a poor diet.