Should I or Shouldn't I go for biking shoes ?

turbannedbiker

Oct 19, 2011
Hi,

I am a novice biker.
I had been running for last two years, but because of a recent injury in the foot (plantar fasciitis) I have started biking. I use a road bike, and I am able to add close to 20 miles on a weekend and 12-14 miles on a weekday.
However, I am feeling a pain in my foot around the arch/outer arch.

Being new to biking, I am using just my running sneakers for biking.

Should I go for proper biking shoes? If yes, then I am not used to cleats/clips in the peddle. Also I may not want to invest in lot of money right away.

Appreciate all the suggestions !!

thanks

You could get some mountain bike shoes that look like hiking shoes or sneakers and use them without cleats. They have a stiff sole designed for cycling. The stiff sole will transfer the pressure onto your foot much better than running shoes do.

thanks davereo !!

I was reading about it. So for the mileage that I have started logging, any idea on how long can I use these mountain bike shoes ?
And at what stage (meaning, about how many miles of riding) should I move to actual road biking shoes ?

Originally Posted by turbannedbiker .

thanks davereo !!

I was reading about it. So for the mileage that I have started logging, any idea on how long can I use these mountain bike shoes ?
And at what stage (meaning, about how many miles of riding) should I move to actual road biking shoes ?
You can use the MTB shoes--as well as similar shoes--for as long as you want so long as they're working for you. There are many long distance road riders that do not pedal in traditional road cycling shoes. Hell, if it came down to it, you could use 'em racing, again, so long as they work for you.

If you find the shoes aren't working, it may be time to move to a pedal system. At that time, depending on what pedal system you choose, you may need to move to road shoes. Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to your question.

Originally Posted by turbannedbiker .

Hi,

I am a novice biker.

However, I am feeling a pain in my foot around the arch/outer arch.

Being new to biking, I am using just my running sneakers for biking.

Should I go for proper biking shoes? If yes, then I am not used to cleats/clips in the peddle. Also I may not want to invest in lot of money right away.

Appreciate all the suggestions !!

thanks
Could you be pulling the laces too tight? Not tight enough? Also, are you placing the ball of your foot on the axle of the peddle? Could this be you running injury manifesting in a different place on your foot?

Hi, I'm a novice too and recently got cleats.Having been a sufferer of plantar faciitis also, i can imagine that the solid base of a cycling shoe would be just what the Dr ordered!
I got some mountain bike shoes and cleats- came to about $150 aussie dollars which I thought was reasonable.MTB cleats are easier than road cleats and the shoes much easier to walk in.
I fell on the first day of using them but that was really only because I tried to do too much too soon- after that I went to a bike track and practiced for a few hours. Touch wood... no falls since! and am now very happy with them, they will certainly help your foot pain. Hope this helps and your poor sore feet get better soon.

IMHO............Good cycling shoes are needed for arch support. Thats one of the reasons the soles are so stiff. Also for good power transmission and keeping your feet on the pedals!