Should I replace my chain???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by f1943r, Feb 14, 2008.

1. f1943r

f1943r New Member

I just purchased a new set of wheels along with a new cassett. My chain has about 1,500 miles on it and has no stretch.

I had my chain checked at my locale bike shop just before purchasing the new wheels and cassette. They told me I should be able get another 1,000 miles on my chain.

I thought I read somewhere that if you ever change you rear cassette you need to also change your chain at the say time. True or false?

Thank you

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

If your chain has only 1500 miles on it and you have checked it for stretch, I would continue riding it. In any event, you will notice pretty quickly if you are having trouble between the chain and the new cassette.

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

False. use a reliable chain wear indicator, like the Rohloff or Park CC-3. When it says to change it, change it then.

4. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

Personally, I can get a chain for less than $15 because of sponsorship reasons so I tend to change them every 2 months during race season regardless of how many miles are on it.

5. Phill P

Phill P New Member

well if some thing is next to disposable then why not change before it becomes an issue....wish I were that lucky!

I have had a recommendation to use two chains per cassette. When the first chain is half worn, swap to the new one. The combo will still work and you will get better life out of the cassette.

You then use the partially worn chains towards the end of life of the next cassette. Means you have a store of half worn chains though.

6. f1943r

f1943r New Member

Thank you all. I have a Park chain checker so I'll go with that. Just wanted to know if I needed to change my chain which is still good because I have a new cassette. Thanks again.