should I replace my pulley wheels?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Flom, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    I cleaned and greased the pulley wheels on my 9-speed Chorus rear der (10-speed cassette) but when I
    backpedal, the chain still catches sometimes and the jockey pulley is seldom directly below it's
    corresponding cog in the cassette, especially in the lowest gears. It's more to the outside. Does
    that just go with the territory of having a 10-speed cassette and a 9-speed derailer, or would
    replacing the pulley wheels help (or something else entirely)? The derailer is four years old and
    has maybe 15,000 miles on it.

    Thanks much.

    Jim

    Tags:

  2. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    >he chain still catches sometimes and the
    jockey pulley is seldom directly below it's corresponding cog

    This has nothing to do with the pulley wheels. You just need more tension on your rear derailleur
    cable. There's a barrel adjuster where the cable enters the rear derailleur. Turn it
    counter-clockwise in half-turn increments until the alignment is close, then make finer adjustments
    until shifting is optimized.

    See http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  3. james-<< I cleaned and greased the pulley wheels on my 9-speed Chorus rear der (10-speed cassette)
    but when I backpedal, the chain still catches sometimes and the jockey pulley is seldom directly
    below it's corresponding cog in the cassette, << Does that just go with the territory of having a
    10-speed cassette and a 9-speed derailer,

    Not this, but perhaps the der hanger not straight of the cage bent?

  4. Jim Flom

    Jim Flom Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo)
    >
    ><< Does that just go with the territory of having a 10-speed cassette and a 9-speed derailer,
    >
    >Not this, but perhaps the der hanger not straight of the cage bent?
    >
    >"Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    I don't think the cable tension is too loose, as another respondant suggested. Are unstraight der
    hangers or bent cages something I can correct myself (I don't have one of those tools) or is that
    an LBS fix?

    Jim

  5. james-<< Are unstraight der hangers or bent cages something I can correct myself (I don't have one
    of those tools) or is that an LBS fix?

    i would have a LBS straighten a bent der handger, A set of channel locks can straighten a
    der hanger-