Should I ride in and/or support the Tour de Cure?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Radioactive Man, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. My employer is promoting the Tour de Cure 150 mile bike ride which is done in April (from
    Knoxville, TN). I believe the entry requirement is to raise $150 from in donations and pay a $30
    entry fee. Being a triathlete (thus already riding a few miles anyway) and having the type 1
    disease myself, I am seriously considering signing on. However, I have a lot of unanswered
    questions about how this actually helps fund useful diabetes research, provides medications to
    those who cannot afford it, etc.

    I have seen these sorts of events take place for many years, but I'm left wondering where are the
    results? If research is being funded by all these charitable contributions, then shouldn't we be
    seeing some non-proprietary drugs and procedures entering the market? I looked on the Tour de Cure
    web site (http://tour.diabetes.org) and couldn't find any useful info as to what specific studies or
    activities are being funded.

    My own experiences with the U.S. health care system only compound my frustration with it. Upon
    diagnosis, the very first thing my doctor did was prescribe me two very expensive and very
    proprietary insulin formulations (Lantus and Novolog), for which I've ended up paying much of the
    costs out-of-pocket.

    On top of that, I've also been affected by the lack of availability of experimental treatments and
    all the hoops through which drug companies must jump before any significant portion of the
    population can benefit. In my case, I am speaking of the fact that I could not get access to a drug
    with high potential benefits and minimal side effects. Specifically, it was Diapep 277 - I tried to
    get into a clinical trial of this drug (with randomized 50% placebo) but failed because my c-peptide
    levels were too low. This drug has already been tested in other countries and found to stop or
    significantly slow the progression of type 1 diabetes. The catch is that it must be administered
    early enough to save the few remaining beta cells. It would not have gotten me off insulin, but it
    would have resulted in better control and lower insulin doses over the long run and probably only 1
    daily basal injection instead of the 2 that I currently use. At this point, it is almost too late
    for this drug to be of benefit to me, except for the possibility of preserving the tiny remaining
    fraction of beta cells for future cloning.

    Logically, the mortality rate and severe complications associated with the type 1 disease should be
    weighed against the side effects of any new treatments. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the
    case in the U.S., thus even well-funded research is doomed to years of waiting for regulatory
    approval while those with the disease are killed and maimed by it.

    Again, I'm left asking the question of who actually benefits from all these fund-raising events held
    by the ADA and others? If I cannot see good results from these sorts of events, then I cannot, in
    good conscience, ask my friends, family, fellow church members, etc. to support it.

    Tags:

  2. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:23:50 GMT, Radioactive Man <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My employer is promoting the Tour de Cure 150 mile bike ride which is done in April (from
    >Knoxville, TN). I believe the entry requirement is to raise $150 from in donations and pay a $30
    >entry fee. Being a triathlete (thus already riding a few miles anyway) and having the type 1
    >disease myself, I am seriously considering signing on. However, I have a lot of unanswered
    >questions about how this actually helps fund useful diabetes research, provides medications to
    >those who cannot afford it, etc.
    >
    >I have seen these sorts of events take place for many years, but I'm left wondering where are the
    >results? If research is being funded by all these charitable contributions, then shouldn't we be
    >seeing some non-proprietary drugs and procedures entering the market? I looked on the Tour de Cure
    >web site (http://tour.diabetes.org) and couldn't find any useful info as to what specific studies
    >or activities are being funded.

    My bad. I found the ADA funded studies on the main site, which was not linked from the Tour site.

  3. T2_lurking

    T2_lurking Guest

    What other organization is there? I've done one Walk (St. Croix Valley) and plan to do the next one
    in Duluth. I have no problem with the ADA other than the fact that they don't move to fast. But
    overall, IMHO, I think it's a worthwhile organization. Just from a marketing POV. You can't depend
    on media outlets to get anything right. IMHO.
    --

    t2_lurking geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)