Should I sell my 1994 Litespeed Ultimate?

johnbamyb

Sep 8, 2006
I ride a Litespeed Ultimate that I have done component upgrades over the years but the frame is from 1994. I used to race Cat 3 but haven't for several yrs so I don't really follow the current technology. Will a new frame, Carbon or Titanium, make much difference compared to 1994 technology. I noticed the teams in the Tour don't ride titanium. Seems like carbon fiber is the choice - Specialized Tarmac, Scott CR1...

Thanks

johnbamyb said:
I ride a Litespeed Ultimate that I have done component upgrades over the years but the frame is from 1994. I used to race Cat 3 but haven't for several yrs so I don't really follow the current technology. Will a new frame, Carbon or Titanium, make much difference compared to 1994 technology. I noticed the teams in the Tour don't ride titanium. Seems like carbon fiber is the choice - Specialized Tarmac, Scott CR1...

Thanks
An Alpha Q straight leg fork + a Campagnolo 2007 group + stem & bars of your preference and you should be good to go for another 12 years.

Oh, you might as well add a new set of wheels of your choice, too.

Well, what Alfeng proposes is absolutely right, but why bother? Keep it the way it is (what are the components on your Ultimate anyway?).

If you really feel the urge you can upgrade to an entirely new bike, go for CF by all means (CF frames today vary enormously in quality and riding characteristics... I and most others would rather ride Titanium anytime, if it were not for that pesky money thing).

johnbamyb said:

Thanks
No, a new frame won't make much of a difference. A top CF frame like the CR1 will be a bit lighter than your Litespeed, but so what? A pound of frame weight isn't something a pro or aspiring Cat 3 would want to give away, but for most of us non-racers it's going to be hard to detect.

To me, the primary advantage of Ti over CF for an all-purpose ride is the toughness of it's finish. A CF frame picks up scratches and scrapes pretty easily in minor drops or crashes, while unpainted Ti just seems to look good regardless. Several veteran riders here prefer Ti for overall toughness and durability vs the "plastic" bikes.

A 900 g CF wonderbike would be a fine complement to your Ti bike if you can afford it, but agree with Pete....don't rush to get rid of the Litespeed.

johnbamyb said:

Thanks
My buddy rides a Tuscany of y2k vintage, and I just bought a Sienna. There is a big difference in frame geometry in those two bikes, and some weight differential, mine is lighter and is a compact geo. Mine is quicker and seems to be a better climber. His has more laid back geometry and would be better on a century. He has serious bike lust for the new sienna, but it is an irrational lust.

Carbon is great for one season of racing like the pros do. But if you are a guy that keeps his bike for twelve years, then how do you beat the durability and crashworthiness of a ti bike. For comfort, durability and the sweet feel, ti is the real deal, and nobody does it better than Litespeed.

Ride the new Litespeed models and see if you feel any difference. If not, upgrade your Ultimate with a compact crankset, if you live in hilly spots, since you have a few more years on you and that lower granny is great. Otherwise, if you feel a difference, then spring for the new bike. Either way, keep a bike for twelve years or so, it is tough to think that any bike owes you any more.