Should i switch to disc brakes?

macleanfuel70

Jun 14, 2006
hi, i have a trek fuel 70 and im thinking about upgrading to disc brakes. I wondering if this is even necessary and if so what would be the best type of discs to get for my bike.

thanks, kyle

I have been contemplating the transition for a while, Disc breaks definitely have a stopping power advantage over normal cable, shoe, I used a mates bike the other day and wow, is all i can say. Discs have various pad options that give you options for weather and terain, and do not damage the rim.

But they are more expensive to run and maintain, it takes more than just the average Joe to do any repairs and adjusments, and then there’s the compatibility of your current bike being disk ready.

My Scott came with disc ready hubs and connection points and still I’ll have to use adapters on the front Manitou forks. I’m looking at spending about R2500 about 200/pounds for front and rear. My conclusion is that when I have the spare cash I’ll go for it.

HowardSteele said:
I have been contemplating the transition for a while, Disc breaks definitely have a stopping power advantage over normal cable, shoe, I used a mates bike the other day and wow, is all i can say. Discs have various pad options that give you options for weather and terain, and do not damage the rim.

But they are more expensive to run and maintain, it takes more than just the average Joe to do any repairs and adjusments, and then there’s the compatibility of your current bike being disk ready.

My Scott came with disc ready hubs and connection points and still I’ll have to use adapters on the front Manitou forks. I’m looking at spending about R2500 about 200/pounds for front and rear. My conclusion is that when I have the spare cash I’ll go for it.

disk pads are more expensive agreed, but then the last a LOT longer so they are possibly cheaper in the long run. also they need overhauling less often (bleeding once a year tops if they are looked after). The initial outlay is more, and they can be a bith to set up but overall i think i prefer them.
i run hope mono m4 front and shimano xtr V rear.

macleanfuel70 said:
hi, i have a trek fuel 70 and im thinking about upgrading to disc brakes. I wondering if this is even necessary ...
Necessary?

As a sweeping generalization, it might be noted that more North Americans have disc brakes than Europeans ... more people, apparently, ride in sloppy/sloppier conditions in North America where disc brakes are apparently a definite benefit.

Even the best disc brakes are going to be heavier than a set of v-brakes ...

I guess it depends on the kind of riding you're doing OR planning on doing -- if your stopping power has been up-to-snuff, then you probably don't need to change ... if there have been times when you wished you had MORE stopping power, then put them on your things-to-buy list.

well i do ride in sloopy conditios about 50% of the time and more stoping power would be nice. Are there aary brands that you guys recommend?

macleanfuel70 said:
well i do ride in sloopy conditios about 50% of the time and more stoping power would be nice. Are there aary brands that you guys recommend?
No doubt, others will disagree with THIS recommendation, but I recommend you select a pair of MECHANICAL (cable) disc brakes rather than HYDRAULIC disc brakes ...

I don't know what's current ... I have some mechanical AVIDs.

macleanfuel70 said:
hi, i have a trek fuel 70 and im thinking about upgrading to disc brakes. I wondering if this is even necessary and if so what would be the best type of discs to get for my bike.

thanks, kyle
Definitely! I ride in the rain and mud of Scotland - there's no way v -brakes would see me some of the days Ive been through with my discs. But I go for cable Avids - I like to be able to fix them if they break out on the trail, so always carry a spare cable with me.

Cheers

Frank

Avid mechanicals are the best mech disc brakes that are out there.

As for hydraulic, Shimano or Avid (of the mainstream brands) tend to be the better liked of the lot.

rek said:
Avid mechanicals are the best mech disc brakes that are out there.

As for hydraulic, Shimano or Avid (of the mainstream brands) tend to be the better liked of the lot.

My own opinion si that if you are going down the disk route you should also go down the hydro route. Yes they are more fiddly to maintain but they need it less often (1 time a year if that usually). I also think they perform better but the new avids are meant to be **nearly** as good. Personally I use Hopes but it is personal preference really.