Should I upgrade my aging Diamondback to a new frame?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by babybunny, Nov 9, 2004.

1. babybunny

babybunny New Member

Hi all, here's my situation. I have a ~1999 Diamondback Ascent 3.0, dual suspension, and weighs in at 30lbs. The 30lbs is definitely preventing me from having fun on this bike. I do not intent to upgrade the components because that wouldn't make sense for such an old bike, but would upgrading the frame to a lighter aluminum one be worth it?

The specs are:
    Double Butted Cromoly Frame
    Full Shimano STX
    Rock Shox Indy C
    Fastrax elastomer coil-over rear shock (I hate it)
    Avenir Aluminum Handlebar
    Unknown stem, but feels like steel.

I haven't weighed the frame yet but I figure that it should definitely be about 2-3 lbs lighter than an aluminum one, right? If that's the case does it make sense to upgrade the frame but keep the old parts? I'm pretty much going for a hardtail unless I can find a crazy ass deal on a dualie frame and rear shock. I think that if I sell it I'm only going to get $150 tops out of it, which is why I'm thinking about making the best of what it's got.

Tags:

2. moparchris

moparchris New Member

i'd sell it and get a new bike, you wont have to worry about components wearing out or anything

3. effexsport

effexsport New Member

don't sell it get new derailers deore or at least alivio and cable sets and replace rear rim hub sprockets n' all go through it lube everything and replace worn bearings and u have a new bike that at the shop would have sold for 450.00 at least.:)

4. babybunny

babybunny New Member

How expensive would it be to build a hardtail from scratch? There's no way that I could afford a brand new retail groupset, so does that mean eBay? Why the heck are groupsets so expensive compared to a whole entire bike?

5. peet9471

peet9471 New Member

The sum of the parts is allways greater than the whole. I've bought a bike that was way too small for me just to get the parts. They were practically giving it away because noone that small wanted to spend so much money. I got a complete group for about 50%