Should i wait for 09 Specialized Allez bike?

trailrider4ever

Nov 6, 2005
Hi, i went to my local bike store today to look for my first bike. I was stuck between the trek 1.2 and the specialized Allez. I have not riden both of them and i am doing that tommorow. I really liked the Specialized Allez Elite but it is $1200. At the same time the specialized Allez base model has the same frame and forks and is $800. The difference is the Tiagra and the 105 series components used and the wheel sets. The thing is i hear that the Elite isnt going to change much for 2009 but the base might change because Shimano was updating the tiagra components. The shop is out of 56cm Elites and they do have 56cm base Allez's and a 56cm trek. Should i wait for the '09 base allez or just get the 08 or should i not be looking at specialized and get the trek?

well, i just got a 54cm Elite (red) and it has the same components as the base Tarmac which I wasn't expecting (nice bonus) and must say ... SWEEET!!! In Canada, bike was $1722 (w/tax; worth every bit). Don't know about the upgraded Tiagra, but it'll still be positioned below the 105 grouppo I'm sure. Nor have I ridden the Trek, but I give the current gen Elite a "two thumbs way up". interesting to note tho, no Zertz in the seatstays (only seatpost & fork). Oh well.... Either Allez (& Trek for that matter) will be great, but paint & wheels made it easy for me. Most important to get right size for sure, maybe they can order one from another dealer if you can swing the $$? Putting a deposit lets them know you're serious. Bike geometry changes a bikes feel so even if the Allez and 1.2 are both the same measurement, l would definately ride both.

PS - Were you looking at the Gerolsteiner (blue) or QuickStep (red)??

trailrider4ever said:
Hi, i went to my local bike store today to look for my first bike. I was stuck between the trek 1.2 and the specialized Allez. I have not riden both of them and i am doing that tommorow. I really liked the Specialized Allez Elite but it is $1200. At the same time the specialized Allez base model has the same frame and forks and is $800. The difference is the Tiagra and the 105 series components used and the wheel sets. The thing is i hear that the Elite isnt going to change much for 2009 but the base might change because Shimano was updating the tiagra components. The shop is out of 56cm Elites and they do have 56cm base Allez's and a 56cm trek. Should i wait for the '09 base allez or just get the 08 or should i not be looking at specialized and get the trek?
For the $400 difference, you could buy a set of shifters + more "stuff" to upgrade the base model Allez.

If you were to resell (on eBay) the TIAGRA shifters as take-offs from a new bike, you would PROBABLY have another $100+.

A pair of NEW 105 shifters is LESS THAN $200 on eBay ... a pair of NEW ULTEGRA shifters is LESS THAN $200 on eBay ...

10-speed cassette + 10-speed front-and-rear derailleurs + chain == less than $200, too, unless you go crazy with DA stuff.

You do the math.

BTW. If you are NOT a Flatlander (or, even if you are!), you could/should consider getting Campagnolo shifters ... 10-speed Campagnolo shifters ARE compatible with 9-speed Shimano drivetrains if you simpy use the hubbub.com alternate rear derailleur cable anchor position.

BTW2. I presume you are between 5'10" & 5'11" ... otherwise, you may want to consider a 54cm (or, smaller!?!) frame UNLESS you think you're going to grow some more ... AND, hopefully, the $800 price is about 20% off the retail price BECAUSE the peak buying season is generally considered to be over when the TdF begins AND most bike shops have their current year inventory (in this case, 2008) on sale & discounted. 2007 models that are in-stock will often be about 40% off the retail price.