Should it be this difficult to clip in?

Mooser4

Oct 9, 2016
I just got a new road bike and finally decided to go clipless. I got a hang of clips so I thought before I took myself out on the road. it seems to be easier for me to clip in while I'm moving, but still took about 5 mins to actually get in there. I lost my balance and fell over once and since falling it seems to now take even longer to get clipped. Also getting out sounds and feels like I'm going to break my pedals and shoes. I've ridden everyday and it's no easier to get in our out. Should it still be this difficult after a couple of months?

After a couple of months? It should be an automatic action the requires little thought. Do your pedals have an adjustment for the release tension?

What brand and model pedals do you use? shimaNO pedals do sound like they are going to break in two when the release binding snaps shut after unclipping.

After a couple of months? It should be an automatic action the requires little thought. Do your pedals have an adjustment for the release tension?

What brand and model pedals do you use? shimaNO pedals do sound like they are going to break in two when the release binding snaps shut after unclipping.

I have speedplay (??) Circular shaped pedals.

Speedplay, like some other pedal manufacturers, sells a 'Light Action' line of pedals: http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.lightaction

If you don't already have a pair of these you might want to try them. Pedals marketed to the so called 'recreational rider' category usually require less force to enter and exit. Speedplay's entire line of pedals is considered to be very user friendly. From club riders to professionals they enjoy a wide range of popularity for being simple, durable and easy to use.

Alternatively, applying oil and moly grease to your pedal's retention system components may lower the force required to enter and release from them. Note that this will attract more dirt and stones and will require more frequent cleaning.

Probably not the pedals but the cleats. Are the cleats on your shoes old? I'd take them to the LBS and have them adjusted. Before that you can try to spray them with some wd40. Worked on my wifes shoes.