Should Lance retire?

bicycledick

Jul 26, 2009
Do you think there should be a point where someone decides they've won 6 tours and that's enough? I mean it was clear that Alberto was better than Lance. So why would Alberto sit back and alloow Lance to win? Lance never sat back and allowed anyone else to win when he was winning. I mean what's the purpose? Lance started talking like Alberto had done him wrong. Lance retired. He thinks he can say I'm back and the ones who have gone by him are supposed to sit back and allow him to win? Lance could have allowed someone else to win a few years back, but he figured he was the best in the mountains. It's a team sport. But egos banging heads and you make it hard on the team. So do you think Lance has won enough?

It normally takes years of racing to get into the shape needed to produce results in a grand tour. Lance has placed on the podium with 9 months of racing after three years of layoff. He is still one of the best bets in pro racing for results. Any team would be stupid not to want him.
Your arguement is a non starter.

Kind of a pointless question, isn't it? If Armstrong thinks it's time to retire, he'll retire. If Armstrong doesn't think it's time to retire, he won't. What anyone else thinks won't matter and shouldn't matter one iota.

Personally, I think he should do what he wants to do.

I would say Lance has ridden his bike for the past year. There is no way he could have not ridden a bike and done this well. He thinks he can lay off and just come back and everyone should just let him win. I say seven tours is enough. He says he's satisified, but he's ******. I just think that he could ride in the tour, but help his other team members that helped him win.
The best thing Lance could do is tell everyone how much big pharma has lied to us over the years. He should tell everyone that chemo and surgery for cancer is a joke. That alternative cures work and this chemo stuff is not even supposed to work. Lance survived while 97 out a hundred of others didn't make it.
I challenge Lance to expose the lies and corporation in the cancer industry. Because he's being used to promote methods that just don't work. Ask Ty Bollinger what he thinks of their cancer curing methods.

Let's start a campaign across the country and let Lance know he can retire now, because if he rides next year and he starts yelling at his team mates you idiot you weren't supposed to go by me. You were supposed to let me win. Then he stomps the spokes out of his bike. As the race goes on he says this guy isn't doing what he's supposed to do. Alberto what was he supposed to do? Just lay back and allow Lance to win after he hadn't ridden in three years? What would you do? The person who wins is suppoed to be the best at the mountains or the sprints or something. Lance isn't anymore and should retire. If you post in Lance's web site tell him it's time to give it up.

What? Time to retire according to you? The conspiracy nut? The guy who's the Ty Bollinger fanboy? How much money did you gift Bollinger and his quack science?

You better put more foil on your head.

I think what happened was you lost someone to cancer and you are attacking this guy. But he's not the only one. You have Kevin Trudeau. You have others that say just get a colon cleanse and cure cancer. They say this, because they did it. Maybe you are a quack doctor? Maybe you have stock in big pharma? Maybe you just can't face the truth? But these guys are telling people at seminars. If it weren't for these guys big pharma would have a free ride. It will take many years for people to learn the truth. Because the media and big pharma and the government work together.

alienator said:
Kind of a pointless question, isn't it? If Armstrong thinks it's time to retire, he'll retire. If Armstrong doesn't think it's time to retire, he won't. What anyone else thinks won't matter and shouldn't matter one iota.

Personally, I think he should do what he wants to do.

not true. if it is on television maybe CNN polling then the pressure is there :D:D

He is still one of the best and could easily get better next year, so obviously he should not retire.

Just being there at his age is an inspiration for many. If he was riding for a Sunday club he would be handicapped by 20% for the time trials.

bicycledick said:
I would say Lance has ridden his bike for the past year. There is no way he could have not ridden a bike and done this well. He thinks he can lay off and just come back and everyone should just let him win. I say seven tours is enough. He says he's satisified, but he's ******. I just think that he could ride in the tour, but help his other team members that helped him win.
The best thing Lance could do is tell everyone how much big pharma has lied to us over the years. He should tell everyone that chemo and surgery for cancer is a joke. That alternative cures work and this chemo stuff is not even supposed to work. Lance survived while 97 out a hundred of others didn't make it.
I challenge Lance to expose the lies and corporation in the cancer industry. Because he's being used to promote methods that just don't work. Ask Ty Bollinger what he thinks of their cancer curing methods.

Given your reasoning, Contador should expose the lies about open brain surgery for aueurysms. He and Lance both share the fact that they've had someone cleave open their skull and fix stuff and then pin it all back together again with metal plates and titanium screws. Maybe we should ban people who have had their head prised open with a hammer and chisel because for whatever reason they seem to be winning all the Tours of late...

Shouldn't and won't.

Lance will focus on the Tour next year - as he did when he won 7. No Giro. No broken collar bone. 2 years of racing. Contador will be hard pressed to win again without Levi, Kloden, Popo etc. - especially when those guys are working for LA.

"because if he rides next year and he starts yelling at his team mates you idiot you weren't supposed to go by me. You were supposed to let me win. Then he stomps the spokes out of his bike. As the race goes on he says this guy isn't doing what he's supposed to do. Alberto what was he supposed to do? Just lay back and allow Lance to win after he hadn't ridden in three years? What would you do?"
Alberto won and deserved to win because he was the strongest rider in the peleton. But this is a team sport. If Alberto wants the team to suffer and pull for him, he has to race like he cares about them. He also has to follow team orders. I am sure Johan did not tell Alberto to attack when he had Kloden along with both Schleck brothers. His team would have more than likely have score a 1-2-3 podium if he had just let the status quo remain. The Schleck brother had stopped trying to attack, he just needed Kloden to rest a while so he could be of help onthe run in to the finish. By that time, Lance could have made it back to the break, making the odds three to two and a stage win for Astana. He put his own win in jeopardy by isolating himself when he dropped Kloden and made sure he couldn't get the stage win.

I was never a great fan of Lance in his heyday, it got a bit predictable when he just targeted the TDF each year with the best team built around him. But hats off to the guy on coming back when older and lets hope he can add an extra element of interest in the sport in general plus his cancer charity.
I'd be happy to see him one place further up the podium next year behind Wiggo of course! LOL

Armstrong and Contador should never have been on the same team; what a nightmare. This year, Contador had the legs, youth and skill to win. Lance, older, less prepared - beat all but one other rider. Personally, I'd be ****** if he quit now...and I don't think he'll be able to. I'm very interested to see next years race. I'd like Lance to win, just because there are so many people that thinks he should quit just because he's won so many? How stupid is that? How many times would you hit a piñata that spewed gold each time you hit it!? Most of us would beat that ******* DRY. Win'em all Lance...if you can. Quit when you get tired of losing.

The reason why he should quit is because he is not at the top of the sport any more.
A reason to stay is because he is still pretty good.

But he risks embarrassment trying to stay with guys who he might have beaten in his prime.

Anybody who thinks that that little worm Contador won the Tour this year because of capability alone is either blind or lying to them selves!

Team orders came into it and it's as simple as that. Astana needs to keep him happy for years to come and since Lance was racing for free no prize for guessing which horse they were going to back!

Yellow_Jersey said:
Anybody who thinks that that little worm Contador won the Tour this year because of capability alone is either blind or lying to them selves!

Team orders came into it and it's as simple as that. Astana needs to keep him happy for years to come and since Lance was racing for free no prize for guessing which horse they were going to back!

So are you suggesting armstrong could have won this year?

TheDangerMan said:
He is still one of the best and could easily get better next year, so obviously he should not retire.

Just being there at his age is an inspiration for many. If he was riding for a Sunday club he would be handicapped by 20% for the time trials.

Dara Torres has a few years on him yet.