Should Landis move to another team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miguel_garcia83 said:
Do you think he has any chance to beat Armstrong if he quit USP, just like Hamilton?
It would be great if he decided to stay with Discovery but I think he should move. You have to find out for yourself what you can do on your own. As far as beating Armstrong I doubt it. It may just not be Armstrong he is trying to beat though.
Ullrich, Kloden, Vinokourov
Hamilton
Beloki
Heras
Basso
Mayo
Acevedo
also Rumsas is returning
Thats some tough competion.

Miguel_garcia83 said:
Do you think he has any chance to beat Armstrong if he quit USP, just like Hamilton?
If he leaves he'll just be a domestique for another team. I believe he can win a stage or two, but I don't think he will be a threat for the GC. Perhaps in 3-4 years.

I tend to agree with thebluetrain. Although I'd like to see him stay with Discovery, it'd probably be best for the advancement of his own career to move.

But does anyone really think he'd be the designated leader on a new team? In my opinion, Floyd hasn't really had anywhere near the results he needs to earn himself a spot as a team leader. Hamilton came in fourth in the 2003 TdF and had some other pretty significant wins before he moved to Phonak as team leader. I don't think CSC was really dedicated in full to Hamilton. I think if Floyd moves it'll be because some team will make him a nice offer to come over and help their leader win the TdF, maybe let him go for some smaller victories during the rest of the season.

Miguel_garcia83 said:

I think he should go where the money is....

mareblu said:
I think he should go where the money is....
thats what everybody does, landis cant wait very much, he is 29 if i am not wrong, and i think he could be the leader in any team, but telekom or csc maybe, and he has the attitudes of a tour winner, he is very strong in time trials and not bad climbing

Can't say that I blame him. If a team is paying you 200k to ride, and another team offers you 800k, it's not rocket science. Lance or no Lance 600k talks!!!

Miguel_garcia83 said:
About as much chance as I have winning lotto this Saturday.

As much as I am fan of him, I don't think Landis has what it takes to seriously challenge for the overall title. I could be wrong, but he just doesn't give me that confidence he could challenge for le Tour.

Besides it was Armstrong who got Landis' career back on track, so I think he will stay and re pay Armstrong for his faith by staying.

Craig Walsh said:
About as much chance as I have winning lotto this Saturday.

I rate Landis pretty highly.
I think he's a good rider and a potential team leader.
I think he has a bit to go yet to being a team leader though.
He needs to get some overall victories under his belt.
Overall TDF GC contender ?
Perhaps in a couple of years - not now though.

It's a difficult call for Landis.

-- Even with the Pro Tour next year, I assume that USPS is going to have riders who are not going to be domestiques for LA in the TdF 05 be on the team for the Giro 05. Therefore, Landis (who will be on the TdF team, should he stay; also LA obviously will go for 7) does not have a chance to ride for himself at the Giro (since he won't ride) or the TdF (where he will be assisting LA).

-- Also, Landis, if he stays, faces uncertainty as to how well he will perform when his contract is next up with Discovery (assuming he signs this year for at least 05). He may not be as impressive in the TdF for the year his contract is next up, and therefore he may be less marketable.

-- In his cyclingnews diary, Landis wrote: "There have been a lot of rumors floating around about what I'm doing next year. At this point, I'm at the end of my contract with USPS-Berry Floor, like pretty much all the riders on the team. First of all, I don't know exactly what I want because I am still exploring my options for next year. I haven't made any decisions yet. I've talked to USPS-Berry Floor about next year, but I don't know what the situation will be next year on this team, as in who's racing for who. I do also have some other options next year where I would have some opportunities for myself. But I've had a very good time and very good experiences with USPS-Berry Floor and **it would be very hard to leave here**. I just have to look carefully at my options and keep things open because USPS-Berry Floor has been good to me and they came to me first; they want me to stay for next year. At this point in my career, I just have to look out for myself and my family."

With Ace being less expensive than Heras and with the $1 million+ Bruyneel presumably got from Liberty Seguros for the release of Heras, there is a bit of room to play with. I assume Discovery is offering at least as much as Postal was.

-- Interviews with LA on OLNTV show a rider who is not entirely confident of his own capabilities in the TdF as a GC contender. Plus, Landis will have inside info on LA and LA's motivation to go for 7.

Therefore, I think Landis stays, but only for a single-year contract for 05.

What about the Vuelta a España or Paris-Nice as a chance to shine as a team leader for the other races?

Craig Walsh said:
What about the Vuelta a España or Paris-Nice as a chance to shine as a team leader for the other races?

I like Floyd alot but I really only see him as a top ten and maybe at best top 5 GC man in the TDF. The Vuelta is possible and I think that he could really shine and win a Paris Nice or some other shorter stage race.

I think the main issue will come down to money. If he goes to Phonak he isn't going to replace Hamilton but may have a better shot as the leader at the Giro or Vuelta. I hope he stays with Disco but a pro's career can be short and I can't blame him if he moves for the money as he is older and has a family.

hawkes said:
I like Floyd alot but I really only see him as a top ten and maybe at best top 5 GC man in the TDF. The Vuelta is possible and I think that he could really shine and win a Paris Nice or some other shorter stage race.

I think the main issue will come down to money. If he goes to Phonak he isn't going to replace Hamilton but may have a better shot as the leader at the Giro or Vuelta. I hope he stays with Disco but a pro's career can be short and I can't blame him if he moves for the money as he is older and has a family.

At Phonak, he also has Oscar Sevilla to contend with. I believe Sevilla expects to be the leader in the Vuelta.

hawkes said:

I think the Giro would be more ideal as Sevilla would want to be leading as he from there I guess.

Miguel_garcia83 said:
I don't think he's a rider who can dominate in both mountains and time trials like Armstrong, so no. He's an excellent rider, and his performances in the mountains in the TDF were inspired, but I don't recall him being that strong in the mountains before. Also, while he is a good ITT rider, I don't see Armstrong-level talent there, either.

Of course, if you put him in a leadership position where the whole team was working for him with the efficiency of USPS, then perhaps he could do it. But I think it would take the team to do it for him. He seemed to be missing that killer instinct at Le Grand-Bornand, as I think Armstrong did want him to just keep going but Landis couldn't get himself into the mindset of putting his head down and just going. Once again, perhaps this changes if he is the leader and the team is working for him, but it seemed to me either lack of will or confidence.

I think the guy is a fantastic rider, but he just doesn't seem to be there yet.

Daily Peloton reports: "Chechu confirmed that his teammate Floyd Landis will be moving to Phonak next season and that Triki Beltrán will be team leader in the Vuelta Espana, a race that he will not participate in."

musette said:
Daily Peloton reports: "Chechu confirmed that his teammate Floyd Landis will be moving to Phonak next season and that Triki Beltrán will be team leader in the Vuelta Espana, a race that he will not participate in."
Wow, that is a brave move from the comfort of USPS/Discovery. Good luck to him and I hope he does more than Heras did in this year's tour.

patch70 said:
Wow, that is a brave move from the comfort of USPS/Discovery. Good luck to him and I hope he does more than Heras did in this year's tour.

He'll be supporting Hamilton, and be no more than on par with Sevilla. So it's not a position of team leadership, I would be pretty sure. Which means that he's going for the salary and possibly for a greater role in the non-TdF Grand Tours.

musette said:
Is there a link to verify?

Status
Not open for further replies.