Should my Calves be sore?

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I'm wondering where other people start to ache when pedaling hard or going up hills? Most of my burn comes from my thighs, I feel like I don't use my calves at all. Should I feel it in my calves?

Do you have clipless pedals?

I notice my cavles if I'm dehydrated and climbing or pushing it harder than normal. Sometimes I have to back off to keep them from cramping, I need to drink more fluids I'm sure, sometimes it's hard. I work in construction all day and do not take on enough fluids, then I get home and jump on the bike, sometime my calves let me "know" they are there.:eek:

I do have clipless pedals, but I hardly ever feel anything in my calves.

gigemaggs99 said:

I notice my cavles if I'm dehydrated and climbing or pushing it harder than normal. Sometimes I have to back off to keep them from cramping, I need to drink more fluids I'm sure, sometimes it's hard. I work in construction all day and do not take on enough fluids, then I get home and jump on the bike, sometime my calves let me "know" they are there.:eek:

Do clipless pedals really have anything to do with it? I use toeclips and straps and never have any soreness in my calves . I don't remember having any soreness in my calves during the time that I was trying to transistion to clipless, but it my be that my bruised elbows and hips hurt more than my calves.

I never feel much ache in my calves, but it's always my calves that cramp if anything is going to.

artemidorus said:
I never feel much ache in my calves, but it's always my calves that cramp if anything is going to.
+1 I never feel burn in my calves, but sure 'nough on really long rides or hot days they're the most likely place for me to cramp.

-Dave

gigemaggs99 said:

I guess what I should have said was I feel my calves if they are cramping due to dehydration. Next would be my hamstrings. This usually only happens in the middle of the Texas summer when I've been working construction outside all day and then go for a longer ride after work. I usually take 1 bottle of water the other a mixture of water and sports drink, it usually does the trick to keep the cramps away.