Should my legs hurt?

An old Guy said:

Gelsemium, on 10 Mar 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

It is interesting how different people feel about training. On days I don't feel like training I stare out the window until I get on my bike and do my training.

But I enjoy riding. 3-1/2 hour days are nice. I am thinking about 4-1/2 hour days for next month, but life gets in the way.
People have different goals and lifestyles. If your goal is to compete with the best and your lifestyle does not allow the flexibility of staring out of the window, then sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

bgoetz said:
People have different goals and lifestyles. If your goal is to compete with the best and your lifestyle does not allow the flexibility of staring out of the window, then sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
My comment was more along the lines of:

I have never felt "blah" from riding, but I have felt "blah" from not riding.

On the same hand I have never felt "blah" from going to work, being with family, or performing other obligations. And I have felt "blah" from not doing so.

:)

What I can say is that when we don't ride often sometimes we do get sore and we cannot perform as well in big extensions, I can still recall that from my long distance days, today I am still training my kids for the cycling life.

There is nothing to worry about your legs that doesn't hurt. My legs also doesn't feel any hurt or pain on or after a ride. I think our muscles have a high tolerance for pain or hurt.

That depends on a lot of things May, on how long we were riding and also on our current physical condition. It's pretty much a science regardless of the tolerance our body might have.

Yea this happened to me as well a couple days ago! I haven't been biking for awhile due to all the snow storms and such around here, but I finally got a chance to get a little mountain biking action back on Thursday. I only rode a little more than 4 miles and my legs felt a little sore and a little after 15 minutes after the riding, they felt hard, like a rock... I would say your legs are just getting used to the load like what others are predicting. It is a huge workout for your legs hehe. As for me I'm going to start biking more often this summer and spring and try to get into the habit again. Large thighs ftw!

It all depends on the muscles we exercise. Just yesterday I was running and today my legs hurt in new places! With time pains will go away because we will be prepared for the exercise. ;)

Whatever type of exercises I'm doing, my policy is if it doesn't hurt anymore, go harder. I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere unless I can REALLY feel it.

I am just starting to ride now that the weather has improved. I hope my legs will not hurt, I walk 6 miles 3-4 times a day and should have good strength in my legs. What should I be weating when I am out riding besides my helmet.

Your legs don't necessarily have to hurt, it might just be that they are accustomed to cycling and so just feels normal to them. In fact, I am almost completely sure that is the case. Since I'm assuming you cycle of a lot, your legs will definitely have gotten used to the movement of the pedals. It's completely normal.
If you're worried, try running. If your legs hurt the day after that, then it means that your legs are just more accustomed to writing a bike than they are doing other things.

Your legs have more strength than you think. I should think one would be happy about that. You are more than likely doing more than one thing right, healthy eating and exercise gives you much more energy and lead way into fitness. My legs used to hurt initially when I started cycling and training but not so much anymore. I do get a little sore sometimes when I change my workout routine but not that much.