Road Cycling · Public discussion

Should my seat be that far forward?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 5 posts · 417 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
30 September 2007
Last activity
1 October 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
417
Views / 30 days
7
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm a 39 yr. old male recreational cyclist who averages nearly 200
    mile/week. I've experimented extensively (obsessively?) with my fit
    over the years. It turns out that I'm the fastest with the saddle tip
    a mere 3 cm behind BB, despite my very lengthy 91 cm inseam.
    Everything I've read says taller people should have their seats
    further rearward. I've tried riding in a more "normal" position --
    knee near or behind BB -- for several years, including with the seat
    several cm lower than I have it now (81 cm, BB-center of seat). (I do
    understand how fore-aft affects seat height and vice-versa.) But I
    can still climb a 10% grade at least 2 mph faster in this "extreme
    forward" position . . . and I don't just mean "sprinters climbs,"
    either. (I've often read how a forward position is "not efficient"
    for climbing.) And, yes, I did adjust the seat-bar distance when
    moving the seat back. (I now know how reach can also dramatically
    affect power output.) Any idea on why the "fast-forward" position is
    fastest for me? Could it be related to my job as a mailman, with all
    the standing and walking it entails? (Is that the reason tri-athletes
    use the forward position, because they also run?) Or, am I not doing
    something correctly?

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm a 39 yr. old male recreational cyclist who averages nearly 200
    mile/week. I've experimented extensively (obsessively?) with my fit
    over the years. It turns out that I'm the fastest with the saddle tip
    a mere 3 cm behind BB, despite my very lengthy 91 cm inseam.
    Everything I've read says taller people should have their seats
    further rearward. I've tried riding in a more "normal" position --
    knee near or behind BB -- for several years, including with the seat
    several cm lower than I have it now (81 cm, BB-center of seat). (I do
    understand how fore-aft affects seat height and vice-versa.) But I
    can still climb a 10% grade at least 2 mph faster in this "extreme
    forward" position . . . and I don't just mean "sprinters climbs,"
    either. (I've often read how a forward position is "not efficient"
    for climbing.) And, yes, I did adjust the seat-bar distance when
    moving the seat back. (I now know how reach can also dramatically
    affect power output.) Any idea on why the "fast-forward" position is
    fastest for me? Could it be related to my job as a mailman, with all
    the standing and walking it entails? (Is that the reason tri-athletes
    use the forward position, because they also run?) Or, am I not doing
    something correctly?

    "Knee near or behind BB" is NOT normal -- you must have meant pedal spindle.

    Anyway, if you've found what works for you -- not only fastest but much more
    importantly (for a self-described recreational cyclist) comfort and absence
    of "issues" like pain, numbness, etc. -- then why are you worried about fit?

    Sounds like it's been working, yet you keep trying to fix it.

    Bill "10 cents please" S.

  3. Bill Sornson said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm a 39 yr. old male recreational cyclist who averages nearly 200
    mile/week. I've experimented extensively (obsessively?) with my fit
    over the years. It turns out that I'm the fastest with the saddle tip
    a mere 3 cm behind BB, despite my very lengthy 91 cm inseam.
    Everything I've read says taller people should have their seats
    further rearward. I've tried riding in a more "normal" position --
    knee near or behind BB -- for several years, including with the seat
    several cm lower than I have it now (81 cm, BB-center of seat). (I do
    understand how fore-aft affects seat height and vice-versa.) But I
    can still climb a 10% grade at least 2 mph faster in this "extreme
    forward" position . . . and I don't just mean "sprinters climbs,"
    either. (I've often read how a forward position is "not efficient"
    for climbing.) And, yes, I did adjust the seat-bar distance when
    moving the seat back. (I now know how reach can also dramatically
    affect power output.) Any idea on why the "fast-forward" position is
    fastest for me? Could it be related to my job as a mailman, with all
    the standing and walking it entails? (Is that the reason tri-athletes
    use the forward position, because they also run?) Or, am I not doing
    something correctly?

    "Knee near or behind BB" is NOT normal -- you must have meant pedal spindle.


    DUH!!!!! Yeah, thats what I meant!

  4. Quoted message said:

    I'm a 39 yr. old male recreational cyclist who averages nearly 200
    mile/week. I've experimented extensively (obsessively?) with my fit
    over the years. It turns out that I'm the fastest with the saddle tip
    a mere 3 cm behind BB, despite my very lengthy 91 cm inseam.
    Everything I've read says taller people should have their seats
    further rearward. I've tried riding in a more "normal" position --
    knee near or behind BB -- for several years, including with the seat
    several cm lower than I have it now (81 cm, BB-center of seat). (I do
    understand how fore-aft affects seat height and vice-versa.) But I
    can still climb a 10% grade at least 2 mph faster in this "extreme
    forward" position . . . and I don't just mean "sprinters climbs,"
    either. (I've often read how a forward position is "not efficient"
    for climbing.) And, yes, I did adjust the seat-bar distance when
    moving the seat back. (I now know how reach can also dramatically
    affect power output.) Any idea on why the "fast-forward" position is
    fastest for me? Could it be related to my job as a mailman, with all
    the standing and walking it entails? (Is that the reason tri-athletes
    use the forward position, because they also run?) Or, am I not doing
    something correctly?

    Alexi Griewal, the Olympic medal winner, ran his seat high and very
    far forward. He won the Mt. Evans hill climb one year, so it must have
    worked for him.

    Smokey

  5. Quoted message said:

    Any idea on why the "fast-forward" position is
    fastest for me?

    how would anyone know without knowing your physiology and the
    dimensions of the bike? sounds to me like your bike is not sized
    correctly or some part of your body is not of "normal"
    proportions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.