Should people have the right to choose their own doctors ?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> > Anecdotal (and a straw man, to boot). You didn't refute my main contention that larger
> > randomized trials seldom show benefits for most alternative therapies.
>
> How can they show benefits when both sides just raise the bar or mess about with the criteria
> (Laetrile springs to mind)?

Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.

> I quoted that an untested therapy which 'works' has lowered my sisters blood pressure. Atenolol
> didn't. Her doctor doesn't seem concerned, as far as she thinks - the drug did it's job.

And, most likely, it did.

>When I look on the internet for the causes of high blood pressure, I see science scratching it's
>head? I also see all kinds of crazy schemes, out of which I choose something that was safe,
>maintainable and looked feasible. Something as simple as supplements can do this, which is what
>people have been saying for ages.

If so, it shouldn't be all that hard to show that specific supplements work for hypertension.

> > So what if there is a hypothesis behind them? (I wouldn't glorify Hulda's nuttiness by calling
> > it a "theory," as the word "theory" in science implies a higher degree of certainty, as in the
> > "theory of evolution" or the "theory of relativity.") It's just a demonstrably WRONG hypothesis,
> > and there is abundant evidence to refute it as being totally WRONG. Any quack can come up with
> > an hypothesis.
>
> Hulda's work is emperical work based on Rife's (who cured 100% cancer patients according to the
> University of Southern California),

You know, I've heard this claim many times, but I've never actually seen any documentation for it,
despite searching for it. All I've found are pro-Rife sites that parrot this claim. Of course, there
are dark insinuations about how supposedly the scientists who worked with him disowned him five or
six years after this "miracle cure."

>Beard, and many other treatments which she's added. You or I do not know if Hulda's therapy is
>'nuttyness' or 'genious'

I do know, and it's definitely not genius.

>there's ignorance in that respect.

Only on the part of those who support Hulda.

> You cannot refute her claims because you don't have enough experience or the science to
> refute them,

Wrong. Anyone with a good background in medicine and the basic science of biology has the experience
and background to refute her claims. I would also point out that it is not up to me to refute them.
It is up to Hulda to prove them.

However, there are quite a few good pages debunking Hulda:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/primack .html

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pappas. html

http://cancerguide.org/hulda_clark.html

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/fluke.html

Heck, even naturopaths don't buy Hulda's ****:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pizzorn
o.html

>neither can she prove them.

Quite true. Nor has she really tried to prove them.

> You can have an opinion
> that they don't work.

Ah, yes, the usual altie delusion that it is just an "opinion" that Hulda's methods are worthless.

> Something I would like to see - Hulda on NCCAM - how's about a small wager that that will
> never happen?

Probably true. Even NCCAM has enough judgment to recognize something as utterly worthless as Hulda
Clark's device.

> > The thing with Hulda is, she makes crazy mad cap claims. Indeed she does. But worse, she makes
> > money treating people with useless therapies based on those crazy madcap claims.
>
> Again how do you know they are useless? There's no evidence?

No, there's plenty of evidence.

> And yes she makes money and is guilty of shameless advertisement. "I've got cancer let's go to
> Hulda or Schultz - they will make t better."

The problem is, they won't.

> > >If you stepped over the mark in your scientific world you would be another
> Hulda.
> > Depends on what you mean by "step over the mark." If I embraced a demonstrably wrong hypothesis,
> > based a "therapy" on it, and took advantage of desperate or gullible people to make money off of
> > that "therapy," then yes I would become another Hulda--and that's not something I aspire to. I
> > would also deserve all the condemnation that gets heaped on Hulda.
>
> If you started making claims about how your therapy healed people on the basis of a few case
> histories you would join the quacks pretty soon.

Indeed, and this is one reason Hulda is a quack. Anotheer problem with Clark's case histories is
that it is not at all clear that most of the patients actually even had cancer. (For most patients,
there were no biopsy results presented.) Also, Clark didn't follow them very long at all--sometimes
she declared patients "cured" after mere days (and we all know how most cancers need to be followed
at least five years--and some even ten years--to be certain they are very unlikely to return). Thus
we have no idea if these patients were truly "cured" or simply weren't followed. I could easily
produce "cure" rates equivalent to Hulda Clark's if I simply operated, declared the patient "cured,"
and then never saw the patient again.

[Snip]

> > > > Not by the NCCAM, they aren't. The NCCAM has a lot of money it's using to fund research
> > > > grants into alternative medicine. The application process is the same as it is for any
> > > > conventional scientist trying to get NIH funding for his proposal. One must write a detailed
> > > > research proposal, with some preliminary evidence to support it, as well as a proposed
> > > > budget and justification for the budget. There are three deadlines every year for these
> > > > proposals (February 1, June 1, and October 1). The proposal will then be evaluated by
> > > > scientists in
> groups
> > > > known as study sections. It will probably be rejected the first time around, but if the
> > > > proposal is sound and the scientist can address the reviewers' comments usually it will get
> > > > funded the second or third
> time
> > > > around. The problem is, too few "alternative medicine" practitioners
> are
> > > > willing to play by the same rules every other scientist has to play by to get funding and to
> > > > go through the same sometimes brutal process of applying for funding. They seem to think
> > > > that, just because they are "alternative," the government OWES them funding to pursue their
> > > > research, that they shouldn't have to persuade the NIH/NCCAM that
> their
> > > > project is scientifically promising enough to be worth funding.
> > >
> > > NCCAM is a joke - they fund trials that show small effects (if any)
> adding
> > > ammunition against the therapy.
> >
> > The NCCAM funded the Gonzalez study, didn't it? It also funded studies on chelation therapy,
> > acupuncture, acupressure, black cohosh, chiropractic manipulation, Ginseng, macrobiotic diets,
> > etc., etc., etc.
>
> It funded the Gonzalez study - for what - the same situation as before another set of Dr Kelly's
> anecdotes, but with this time Dr Gonzalez name to it? This really doesn't effect me because I live
> in another country, but you guys pay your taxes for that. I think it needs 'a right kick up the
> backside.' and some serious restructuring. Or maybe the NCCAM is just another front to disprove
> things or cast dis information?

Ah, yes. The old conspiracy theory returns. I wondered when this would happen.

> > Extravagant claims are all too often made for many alternative medicine therapies, claims of
> > very high "cure" rates for incurable cancers, etc. If these dramatic claims for high cure rates
> > for incurable diseases were correct, it would be VERY easy to demonstrate in controlled clinical
> > trials (or even uncontrolled clinical trials). It wouldn't take that many patients. The very
> > fact that these studies are statistically powered to look for small differences is irrelevant,
> > because being powered to find small effects would mean that big effects would leap out at the
> > investigators pretty early on in the trial--if altie claims were true.
>
> Gonzalez study showed a large effect, and in the group which were not selected for inclusion into
> the pilot study, because they had not met the study critera also showed that effect. So either
> Gonzalez was just was good at selecting survivors or there was some effect.

And until the results of his NCCAM-funded study come in, we won't know which it is, will we? I'm
expecting the former but am willing to be pleasantly surprised by the latter.

> > > Did you know that due to the Gonzalez pilot study results, people now request the nutritional
> > > arm?
> >
> > I knew that months ago.
> >
> > I also notice that the Gonzalez trial is suspended. The NCCAM website doesn't explain why. Dr.
> > Gonzalez's own website doesn't even mention that it is suspended. Given that most R01 grants are
> > for 4-5 years and Gonzalez's grant started in 1999 or 2000 (if memory serves me correctly), my
> > guess is that it's close to being at the end of the grant period.
>
> Gonzalez protocal is still being tested on NCCAM by other doctors as I recall.

I couldn't find any information one way or the other on this. On the NCCAM website it was listed as
"suspended" in red letters:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/c/a1b/show/NCT00003851?order=1&JServ
SessionIdzone_ct=3lf9lc3r71

> > > Because of this, It's likely that enzymes will never see the light of
> day as
> > > a proven cancer therapy.
> >
> > You appear not to understand that, although randomized, placebo-controlled trials are the gold-
> > standard, the preponderance of evidence of lower-powered trials, if well designed, can
> > adequately show efficacy. They are not preferred, but sometimes double-blind placebo-control
> > trials are not possible. This is frequently the case in surgical therapies, because it's damned
> > near impossible to blind patients or surgeons to therapy groups.
>
> I do understand, but when the trials are controversial win or fail, the bar is raised. A good
> scientist should just swallow their pride and say "It didn't work game over"

Which alternative medicine practitioners almost NEVER do. Look at chelation therapy for
atherosclerosis. There have been a number of decent randomized clinical studies showing it to
produce no detectable benefit, but the alties still swear by it.

[Snip]
--
Orac |"A statement of fact cannot be insolent."
|
|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> You mean the way ship's physician James Lind did here:
>>
>> http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/scurvy.html
>> http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/scurvy.html
>>
>> A pretty good example of an early clinical trial, I'd say.
>
> Yes Indeed, how long before it weas accepted?

50 years at most: by 1795 the British Navy was routinely distributing lime juice to sailors on long
voyages. Bear in mind that the pace of communication was a *lot* slower in the eighteenth century
than it is now. It would have taken years for Lind's discovery to be widely publicized simply due to
the lack of modern media.

> Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.

Badly designed mice experiments, lies etc. Bad experiments where both sets of mice are stored in the
same cages, eating each others feces. Both groups showing tumour regression etc. stupid results.

> > I quoted that an untested therapy which 'works' has lowered my sisters blood pressure. Atenolol
> > didn't. Her doctor doesn't seem concerned, as far as she thinks - the drug did it's job.
>
> And, most likely, it did.

Unlikely, since she's been taking the tablets for a few years without any effects, maybe they just
started working? My blood pressure dropped also, but then again I'm not taking any meds.

> >When I look on the internet for the causes of high blood pressure, I see
science
> > scratching it's head? I also see all kinds of crazy schemes, out of which I choose something
> > that was safe, maintainable and looked feasible. Something as simple as supplements can do this,
> > which is what people have been saying for ages.
>
> If so, it shouldn't be all that hard to show that specific supplements
work for hypertension.

Have you got hypertension? It isn't hard, all you need to do is drink 2 pints of fresh assorted
fruit/vegetable per day and a bit of diet change, anyone can do it. Safe and simple, unless you get
your hand caught in the juicer :eek:).

> You know, I've heard this claim many times, but I've never actually seen any documentation for it,
> despite searching for it. All I've found are pro-Rife sites that parrot this claim. Of course,
> there are dark insinuations about how supposedly the scientists who worked with him disowned him
> five or six years after this "miracle cure."
> >Beard, and many other treatments which she's added. You or I do not know if Hulda's therapy is
> >'nuttyness' or 'genious'
> I do know, and it's definitely not genius.

In your opinion you know, factual you _don't_ know, anything else comes under 'baised opinion'

> there's ignorance in that respect. Only on the part of those who support Hulda.

Yes people who support Hulda are ignorant in the sense they accept something on per faith/lack of
critical understanding. These sick people are playing with their lives (or what remaining time they
have left)

> > You cannot refute her claims because you don't have enough experience or
the
> > science to refute them,
> Wrong. Anyone with a good background in medicine and the basic science of biology has the
> experience and background to refute her claims. I would also point out that it is not up to me to
> refute them. It is up to Hulda to prove them.

Please show me how I'd be interested?

> However, there are quite a few good pages debunking Hulda:
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/primack
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pappas.
> http://cancerguide.org/hulda_clark.html http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/fluke.html

I have 2 of Hulda's books here sitting on my shelf - that pretty much 'debunks' her - if
anyone wants to pay the postage I will send them to you free. Quackwatch although a good
source of information is one sided - if Barret gave the whole story then people could make up
their minds better.

> Heck, even naturopaths don't buy Hulda's ****:
>
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pizzorno.html
> >neither can she prove them.
> Quite true. Nor has she really tried to prove them.

She has - via testimonials and x-rays in her books. She also knows that the desperate are going to
accept those testimonials and buy her books.

> >You can have an opinion that they don't work.
> Ah, yes, the usual altie delusion that it is just an "opinion" that Hulda's methods are worthless.

Baised and largely hypocritical Orac, hinting that I am a 'delusional altie.' bit like pot
calling kettle..

> > Something I would like to see - Hulda on NCCAM - how's about a small
wager
> > that that will never happen?
> Probably true. Even NCCAM has enough judgment to recognize something as utterly worthless as Hulda
> Clark's device.
> > > The thing with Hulda is, she makes crazy mad cap claims. Indeed she does. But worse, she makes
> > > money treating people with
useless
> > > therapies based on those crazy madcap claims.
> >
> > Again how do you know they are useless? There's no evidence?
>
> No, there's plenty of evidence.

Such as? Can you show any documented well designed experiments ?

>
> > And yes she makes money and is guilty of shameless advertisement. "I've got cancer let's go to
> > Hulda or Schultz - they will make t
better."
> The problem is, they won't.

Again you don't know.

> Indeed, and this is one reason Hulda is a quack. Anotheer problem with Clark's case histories is
> that it is not at all clear that most of the patients actually even had cancer. (For most
> patients, there were no biopsy results presented.) Also, Clark didn't follow them very long at all--
> sometimes she declared patients "cured" after mere days (and we all know how most cancers need to
> be followed at least five years--and some even ten years--to be certain they are very unlikely to
> return). Thus we have no idea if these patients were truly "cured" or simply weren't followed. I
> could easily produce "cure" rates equivalent to Hulda Clark's if I simply operated, declared the
> patient "cured," and then never saw the patient again.

Yup Hulda is 'doing the chemo' on those people - showing shrinking tumours. No survival benefit
shown, which is also what a lot of doctors are guilty of. "Your tumours are shinking - that's a good
sign!" ....when in actuality a small %age of the tumour is malignant cells.

[Snip]

> > This really doesn't effect me because I live in another country, but you guys pay your taxes for
> > that. I think it needs 'a right kick up the backside.' and some serious restructuring. Or maybe
> > the NCCAM is just another front to disprove things or cast dis information?
> Ah, yes. The old conspiracy theory returns. I wondered when this would
happen.

You should read about them, they make interesting reading and they exist like the vitamin cartels
and the government viral experiments on the population which you probably are unaware of.

> And until the results of his NCCAM-funded study come in, we won't know which it is, will we? I'm
> expecting the former but am willing to be pleasantly surprised by the latter.

I doubt that you will ever see it, more bar raising and bickering on both sides.

> I couldn't find any information one way or the other on this.

The book is expensive about £64 - I was tempted to buy it, but I passed it by this time. I will
eventually add this to my book shelf.

> A good scientist should just swallow their pride and say "It didn't work
game over"
> Which alternative medicine practitioners almost NEVER do. Look at chelation therapy for
> atherosclerosis. There have been a number of decent randomized clinical studies showing it to
> produce no detectable benefit, but the alties still swear by it.
>
> [Snip]

Yup they jump camps from mainstream to alternative because "My therapy simply does work" - as
they are finished in mainstream - time to start a new platform. My current reading interest is
based around ascorbate, if you notice with chelation they are normally given large amounts of
ascorbate also.

> Orac |"A statement of fact cannot be insolent."
> |
> |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

Anth |"Vitamin C the miracle molecule." |Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections
must be first overcome

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994309 Here's the New Scientist article I promised
a while back (Trophoblast theory of cancer) Anth

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> >
> > > Anecdotal (and a straw man, to boot). You didn't refute my main contention that larger
> > > randomized trials seldom show benefits for most alternative therapies.
> >
> > How can they show benefits when both sides just raise the bar or mess
about
> > with the criteria (Laetrile springs to mind)?
>
> Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.
>
>
> > I quoted that an untested therapy which 'works' has lowered my sisters blood pressure. Atenolol
> > didn't. Her doctor doesn't seem concerned, as far as she thinks - the drug did it's job.
>
> And, most likely, it did.
>
>
> >When I look on the internet for the causes of high blood pressure, I see science scratching it's
> >head? I also see all kinds of crazy schemes, out of which I choose something that was safe,
> >maintainable and looked feasible. Something as simple as supplements can do this, which is what
> >people have been saying for ages.
>
> If so, it shouldn't be all that hard to show that specific supplements work for hypertension.
>
>
> > > So what if there is a hypothesis behind them? (I wouldn't glorify Hulda's nuttiness by calling
> > > it a "theory," as the word "theory" in science implies a higher degree of certainty, as in the
> > > "theory of evolution" or the "theory of relativity.") It's just a demonstrably WRONG
> > > hypothesis, and there is abundant evidence to refute it as being totally WRONG. Any quack can
> > > come up with an hypothesis.
> >
> > Hulda's work is emperical work based on Rife's (who cured 100% cancer patients according to the
> > University of Southern California),
>
> You know, I've heard this claim many times, but I've never actually seen any documentation for it,
> despite searching for it. All I've found are pro-Rife sites that parrot this claim. Of course,
> there are dark insinuations about how supposedly the scientists who worked with him disowned him
> five or six years after this "miracle cure."
>
>
> >Beard, and many other treatments which she's added. You or I do not know if Hulda's therapy is
> >'nuttyness' or 'genious'
>
> I do know, and it's definitely not genius.
>
>
> >there's ignorance in that respect.
>
> Only on the part of those who support Hulda.
>
>
> > You cannot refute her claims because you don't have enough experience or
the
> > science to refute them,
>
> Wrong. Anyone with a good background in medicine and the basic science of biology has the
> experience and background to refute her claims. I would also point out that it is not up to me to
> refute them. It is up to Hulda to prove them.
>
> However, there are quite a few good pages debunking Hulda:
>
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html
>
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/primack .html
>
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pappas. html
>
> http://cancerguide.org/hulda_clark.html
>
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/
>
> http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/fluke.html
>
>
> Heck, even naturopaths don't buy Hulda's ****:
>
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pizzorn
> o.html
>
>
> >neither can she prove them.
>
> Quite true. Nor has she really tried to prove them.
>
>
> > You can have an opinion
> > that they don't work.
>
> Ah, yes, the usual altie delusion that it is just an "opinion" that Hulda's methods are worthless.
>
>
> > Something I would like to see - Hulda on NCCAM - how's about a small
wager
> > that that will never happen?
>
> Probably true. Even NCCAM has enough judgment to recognize something as utterly worthless as Hulda
> Clark's device.
>
>
> > > The thing with Hulda is, she makes crazy mad cap claims. Indeed she does. But worse, she makes
> > > money treating people with
useless
> > > therapies based on those crazy madcap claims.
> >
> > Again how do you know they are useless? There's no evidence?
>
> No, there's plenty of evidence.
>
>
> > And yes she makes money and is guilty of shameless advertisement. "I've got cancer let's go to
> > Hulda or Schultz - they will make t
better."
>
> The problem is, they won't.
>
>
> > > >If you stepped over the mark in your scientific world you would be another
> > Hulda.
> > > Depends on what you mean by "step over the mark." If I embraced a demonstrably wrong
> > > hypothesis, based a "therapy" on it, and took advantage of desperate or gullible people to
> > > make money off of that "therapy," then yes I would become another Hulda--and that's not
> > > something I aspire to. I would also deserve all the condemnation that gets heaped on Hulda.
> >
> > If you started making claims about how your therapy healed people on the basis of a few case
> > histories you would join the quacks pretty soon.
>
> Indeed, and this is one reason Hulda is a quack. Anotheer problem with Clark's case histories is
> that it is not at all clear that most of the patients actually even had cancer. (For most
> patients, there were no biopsy results presented.) Also, Clark didn't follow them very long at all--
> sometimes she declared patients "cured" after mere days (and we all know how most cancers need to
> be followed at least five years--and some even ten years--to be certain they are very unlikely to
> return). Thus we have no idea if these patients were truly "cured" or simply weren't followed. I
> could easily produce "cure" rates equivalent to Hulda Clark's if I simply operated, declared the
> patient "cured," and then never saw the patient again.
>
> [Snip]
>
> > > > > Not by the NCCAM, they aren't. The NCCAM has a lot of money it's
using
> > > > > to fund research grants into alternative medicine. The application process is the same as
> > > > > it is for any conventional scientist trying
to
> > > > > get NIH funding for his proposal. One must write a detailed
research
> > > > > proposal, with some preliminary evidence to support it, as well as
a
> > > > > proposed budget and justification for the budget. There are three deadlines every year for
> > > > > these proposals (February 1, June 1, and October 1). The proposal will then be evaluated
> > > > > by scientists in
> > groups
> > > > > known as study sections. It will probably be rejected the first
time
> > > > > around, but if the proposal is sound and the scientist can address
the
> > > > > reviewers' comments usually it will get funded the second or third
> > time
> > > > > around. The problem is, too few "alternative medicine"
practitioners
> > are
> > > > > willing to play by the same rules every other scientist has to
play by
> > > > > to get funding and to go through the same sometimes brutal process
of
> > > > > applying for funding. They seem to think that, just because they
are
> > > > > "alternative," the government OWES them funding to pursue their research, that they
> > > > > shouldn't have to persuade the NIH/NCCAM that
> > their
> > > > > project is scientifically promising enough to be worth funding.
> > > >
> > > > NCCAM is a joke - they fund trials that show small effects (if any)
> > adding
> > > > ammunition against the therapy.
> > >
> > > The NCCAM funded the Gonzalez study, didn't it? It also funded studies on chelation therapy,
> > > acupuncture, acupressure, black cohosh, chiropractic manipulation, Ginseng, macrobiotic diets,
> > > etc., etc.,
etc.
> >
> > It funded the Gonzalez study - for what - the same situation as before another set of Dr Kelly's
> > anecdotes, but with this time Dr Gonzalez name
to
> > it? This really doesn't effect me because I live in another country, but you guys pay your taxes
> > for that. I think it needs 'a right kick up the backside.' and some serious restructuring. Or
> > maybe the NCCAM is just another front to disprove things or cast dis information?
>
> Ah, yes. The old conspiracy theory returns. I wondered when this would happen.
>
>
> > > Extravagant claims are all too often made for many alternative
medicine
> > > therapies, claims of very high "cure" rates for incurable cancers,
etc.
> > > If these dramatic claims for high cure rates for incurable diseases
were
> > > correct, it would be VERY easy to demonstrate in controlled clinical trials (or even
> > > uncontrolled clinical trials). It wouldn't take that many patients. The very fact that these
> > > studies are statistically powered to look for small differences is irrelevant, because being
> > > powered to find small effects would mean that big effects would leap
out
> > > at the investigators pretty early on in the trial--if altie claims
were
> > > true.
> >
> > Gonzalez study showed a large effect, and in the group which were not selected for inclusion
> > into the pilot study, because they had not met
the
> > study critera also showed that effect. So either Gonzalez was just was good at selecting
> > survivors or there was some effect.
>
> And until the results of his NCCAM-funded study come in, we won't know which it is, will we? I'm
> expecting the former but am willing to be pleasantly surprised by the latter.
>
>
> > > > Did you know that due to the Gonzalez pilot study results, people
now
> > > > request the nutritional arm?
> > >
> > > I knew that months ago.
> > >
> > > I also notice that the Gonzalez trial is suspended. The NCCAM website doesn't explain why. Dr.
> > > Gonzalez's own website doesn't even mention that it is suspended. Given that most R01 grants
> > > are for 4-5 years and Gonzalez's grant started in 1999 or 2000 (if memory serves me
> > > correctly), my guess is that it's close to being at the end of the
grant
> > > period.
> >
> > Gonzalez protocal is still being tested on NCCAM by other doctors as I recall.
>
> I couldn't find any information one way or the other on this. On the NCCAM website it was listed
> as "suspended" in red letters:
>
> http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/gui/c/a1b/show/NCT00003851?order=1&JServ
> SessionIdzone_ct=3lf9lc3r71
>
>
> > > > Because of this, It's likely that enzymes will never see the light
of
> > day as
> > > > a proven cancer therapy.
> > >
> > > You appear not to understand that, although randomized, placebo-controlled trials are the gold-
> > > standard, the preponderance of evidence of lower-powered trials, if well designed, can
> > > adequately
show
> > > efficacy. They are not preferred, but sometimes double-blind placebo-control trials are not
> > > possible. This is frequently the case
in
> > > surgical therapies, because it's damned near impossible to blind patients or surgeons to
> > > therapy groups.
> >
> > I do understand, but when the trials are controversial win or fail, the
bar
> > is raised. A good scientist should just swallow their pride and say "It didn't work game over"
>
> Which alternative medicine practitioners almost NEVER do. Look at chelation therapy for
> atherosclerosis. There have been a number of decent randomized clinical studies showing it to
> produce no detectable benefit, but the alties still swear by it.
>
> [Snip]
> --
> |
> |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

Eric Bohlman <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>>> You mean the way ship's physician James Lind did here:
>>>
>>> http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/scurvy.html
>>> http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/scurvy.html
>>>
>>> A pretty good example of an early clinical trial, I'd say.
>>
>> Yes Indeed, how long before it weas accepted?
>
>50 years at most: by 1795 the British Navy was routinely distributing lime juice to sailors on long
>voyages. Bear in mind that the pace of communication was a *lot* slower in the eighteenth century
>than it is now. It would have taken years for Lind's discovery to be widely publicized simply due
>to the lack of modern media.

The use of citrus fruits to prevent scurvy was a major factor in the European settlement of
Australia. It enabled the long voyages by Cook in 1770 to find the place and Phillip in 1788 to
bring out the first settlers.

--
Peter Bowditch
The Millenium Project http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
and The New Improved Quintessence of the Loon with added Vitamins and C-Q10 http://www.ratbags.com/loon
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

> > Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.
>
> Badly designed mice experiments, lies etc.

Please produce specific scientific articles describing "badly designed mouse experiments" so that I
can see for myself whether the experiments were, in fact, "badly designed."

> Bad experiments where both sets of mice are stored in the same cages, eating each others feces.

Sources?

> Both groups showing tumour regression etc. stupid results.

Again, sources?

> > > I quoted that an untested therapy which 'works' has lowered my sisters blood pressure.
> > > Atenolol didn't. Her doctor doesn't seem concerned, as far as she thinks - the drug did it's
> > > job.
> >
> > And, most likely, it did.
>
> Unlikely, since she's been taking the tablets for a few years without any effects, maybe they just
> started working? My blood pressure dropped also, but then again I'm not taking any meds.

If they weren't working for years, her doctor probably should have changed to different medications,
don't you think?

>
> > >When I look on the internet for the causes of high blood pressure, I see
> science
> > > scratching it's head? I also see all kinds of crazy schemes, out of which I choose something
> > > that was safe, maintainable and looked feasible. Something as simple as supplements can do
> > > this, which is what people have been saying for ages.
> >
> > If so, it shouldn't be all that hard to show that specific supplements
> work for hypertension.
>
> Have you got hypertension? It isn't hard, all you need to do is drink 2 pints of fresh assorted
> fruit/vegetable per day and a bit of diet change, anyone can do it. Safe and simple, unless you
> get your hand caught in the juicer :eek:).

I don't have hypertension, and that is not the way you show that a remedy works. Of course, it is
known that changing one's diet and beginning to exercise can lower blood pressure.

> > You know, I've heard this claim many times, but I've never actually seen any documentation for
> > it, despite searching for it. All I've found are pro-Rife sites that parrot this claim. Of
> > course, there are dark insinuations about how supposedly the scientists who worked with him
> > disowned him five or six years after this "miracle cure."
> > >Beard, and many other treatments which she's added. You or I do not know if Hulda's therapy is
> > >'nuttyness' or 'genious'
> > I do know, and it's definitely not genius.
>
> In your opinion you know, factual you _don't_ know, anything else comes under 'baised opinion'

No, anyone with a sound understanding of cancer biology will immediately recognize that Hulda
Clark's device is pure quackery.

> > there's ignorance in that respect. Only on the part of those who support Hulda.
>
> Yes people who support Hulda are ignorant in the sense they accept something on per faith/lack of
> critical understanding. These sick people are playing with their lives (or what remaining time
> they have left)

We agree on this one thing.

> > > You cannot refute her claims because you don't have enough experience or
> the
> > > science to refute them,
> > Wrong. Anyone with a good background in medicine and the basic science of biology has the
> > experience and background to refute her claims. I would also point out that it is not up to me
> > to refute them. It is up to Hulda to prove them.
>
> Please show me how I'd be interested?
>
> > However, there are quite a few good pages debunking Hulda:
> > http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html
> > http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/primack
> > http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pappas.
> > http://cancerguide.org/hulda_clark.html http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/
> > http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/fluke.html
>
> I have 2 of Hulda's books here sitting on my shelf - that pretty much 'debunks' her - if anyone
> wants to pay the postage I will send them to you free.

I never read Hulda's books because it would necessitate giving money to her. I'd be tempted to take
you up on your offer, except that I can tell just from the material on Hulda's website that her
stuff is pure ****. Consequently I don't really feel the need to waste my time.

> Quackwatch although a good source of information is one sided - if Barret gave the whole story
> then people could make up their minds better.

In most cases, Barrett is about as even-handed as one could wish.

> > Heck, even naturopaths don't buy Hulda's ****:
> >
> http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pizzorno.htm l
> > >neither can she prove them.
> > Quite true. Nor has she really tried to prove them.
>
> She has - via testimonials and x-rays in her books.

Testimonials do not constitute acceptable scientific data, particularly when they are
unsubstantiated.

> She also knows that the desperate are going to accept those testimonials and buy her books.

Quite correct.

> > >You can have an opinion that they don't work.
> > Ah, yes, the usual altie delusion that it is just an "opinion" that Hulda's methods are
> > worthless.
>
> Baised and largely hypocritical Orac, hinting that I am a 'delusional altie.' bit like pot
> calling kettle.

It is a frequent altie misconception that nearly all opinions are created equal and that the opinion
of any old alt-med-supporter is equivalent to that of someone trained in cancer biology. I would not
presume to consider my opinion regarding nuclear physics to be equivalent to that of a bona fide
nuclear physicist (even though my chemistry degree did require me to study some nuclear physics as
an undergraduate). That doesn't mean I consider my opinion on nuclear physics to be worthless, but
unlike too many of the alties around here I certainly don't delude myself into thinking my opinion
is just as valid as that of a nuclear physicist.

> > > Something I would like to see - Hulda on NCCAM - how's about a small
> wager
> > > that that will never happen?
> > Probably true. Even NCCAM has enough judgment to recognize something as utterly worthless as
> > Hulda Clark's device.
> > > > The thing with Hulda is, she makes crazy mad cap claims.
> > > > Indeed she does. But worse, she makes money treating people with
> useless
> > > > therapies based on those crazy madcap claims.
> > >
> > > Again how do you know they are useless? There's no evidence?
> >
> > No, there's plenty of evidence.
>
> Such as? Can you show any documented well designed experiments ?

Be careful. You're dangerously close to the logical fallacy of argumentum ad ignorantiam (appeal to
ignorance, also related to shifting the burden of proof).

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#ignorantiam
http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#shifting
http://datanation.com/fallacies/distract/ig.htm http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-
proof.html

> > > And yes she makes money and is guilty of shameless advertisement. "I've got cancer let's go to
> > > Hulda or Schultz - they will make t
> better."
> > The problem is, they won't.
>
> Again you don't know.

Again, I do know.

> > Indeed, and this is one reason Hulda is a quack. Anotheer problem with Clark's case histories is
> > that it is not at all clear that most of the patients actually even had cancer. (For most
> > patients, there were no biopsy results presented.) Also, Clark didn't follow them very long at
> > all--sometimes she declared patients "cured" after mere days (and we all know how most cancers
> > need to be followed at least five years--and some even ten years--to be certain they are very
> > unlikely to return). Thus we have no idea if these patients were truly "cured" or simply weren't
> > followed. I could easily produce "cure" rates equivalent to Hulda Clark's if I simply operated,
> > declared the patient "cured," and then never saw the patient again.
>
> Yup Hulda is 'doing the chemo' on those people - showing shrinking tumours.

Wrong. She's not even showing that, really, as she doesn't even definitively show that it's her
device that's doing the "shrinking." In all too many cases, she doesn't even actually show that her
"patients" actually have cancer--or even what kind.

> No survival benefit shown, which is also what a lot of doctors are guilty of. "Your tumours
> are shinking - that's a good sign!" ....when in actuality a small %age of the tumour is
> malignant cells.

Shrinking tumors sometimes does result in an increase in survival. Sometimes it does not. However, a
tumor that shrinks in response to therapy at least means there *might* be a survival advantage.

> > > This really doesn't effect me because I live in another country, but you guys pay your taxes
> > > for that. I think it needs 'a right kick up the backside.' and some serious restructuring. Or
> > > maybe the NCCAM is just another front to disprove things or cast dis information?
> > Ah, yes. The old conspiracy theory returns. I wondered when this would
> happen.
>
> You should read about them, they make interesting reading and they exist like the vitamin cartels
> and the government viral experiments on the population which you probably are unaware of.

None of which shows definitively any "conspiracy" to "suppress" alt med.

> > And until the results of his NCCAM-funded study come in, we won't know which it is, will we? I'm
> > expecting the former but am willing to be pleasantly surprised by the latter.
>
> I doubt that you will ever see it, more bar raising and bickering on both sides.

We'll see.

[Snip]

--
|
|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> If so, it shouldn't be all that hard to show that specific supplements
> work for hypertension.
>
> Have you got hypertension? It isn't hard, all you need to do is drink 2 pints of fresh assorted
> fruit/vegetable per day and a bit of diet change, anyone can do it. Safe and simple, unless you
> get your hand caught in the juicer :eek:).

That might very well work for *some* people with hypertension. Proper research tries to answer
questions like "how many people with hypertension does it work for?" and "what distinguishes the
people for whom it works from those for whom it doesn't?" Testimonials and anecdotes can't answer
questions like that. At best, they can indicate that it's reasonable to start asking the kinds of
questions I mentioned. It is a giant, and unwarranted, leap from "this worked for me" to "this will
work for everyone."

Do a search on "DASH diet" if you don't believe that conventional medicine has looked into
nutritional approaches to hypertension. They've been found promising and useful, but *not* to be
panaceas. They're part of the story, but not the whole story. There are indeed people whose
hypertension resolves with nothing more than dietary modification. But there are also people whose
hypertension *doesn't* resolve.

Sources are all in the book The Story of Vitamin B17

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> > > Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.
> >
> > Badly designed mice experiments, lies etc.
>
> Please produce specific scientific articles describing "badly designed mouse experiments" so that
> I can see for myself whether the experiments were, in fact, "badly designed."
>
>
> > Bad experiments where both sets of mice are stored in the same cages,
eating
> > each others feces.
>
> Sources?
>
>
> > Both groups showing tumour regression etc. stupid results.
>
> Again, sources?
>
>
> > > > I quoted that an untested therapy which 'works' has lowered my sisters blood pressure.
> > > > Atenolol didn't. Her doctor doesn't seem concerned, as far as she thinks - the drug did it's
> > > > job.
> > >
> > > And, most likely, it did.
> >
> > Unlikely, since she's been taking the tablets for a few years without
any
> > effects, maybe they just started working? My blood pressure dropped also, but then again I'm not
> > taking any meds.
>
> If they weren't working for years, her doctor probably should have changed to different
> medications, don't you think?
>
>
> >
> > > >When I look on the internet for the causes of high blood pressure, I
see
> > science
> > > > scratching it's head? I also see all kinds of crazy schemes, out of which I choose something
> > > > that was safe, maintainable and looked feasible. Something as simple as supplements can do
> > > > this, which is what people have been saying for ages.
> > >
> > > If so, it shouldn't be all that hard to show that specific supplements
> > work for hypertension.
> >
> > Have you got hypertension? It isn't hard, all you need to do is drink 2 pints of fresh assorted
> > fruit/vegetable per day and a bit of diet
change,
> > anyone can do it. Safe and simple, unless you get your hand caught in the juicer :eek:).
>
> I don't have hypertension, and that is not the way you show that a remedy works. Of course, it is
> known that changing one's diet and beginning to exercise can lower blood pressure.
>
>
> > > You know, I've heard this claim many times, but I've never actually
seen
> > > any documentation for it, despite searching for it. All I've found are pro-Rife sites that
> > > parrot this claim. Of course, there are dark insinuations about how supposedly the scientists
> > > who worked with him disowned him five or six years after this "miracle cure."
> > > >Beard, and many other treatments which she's added. You or I do not know if Hulda's therapy
> > > >is 'nuttyness' or 'genious'
> > > I do know, and it's definitely not genius.
> >
> > In your opinion you know, factual you _don't_ know, anything else comes under 'baised opinion'
>
> No, anyone with a sound understanding of cancer biology will immediately recognize that Hulda
> Clark's device is pure quackery.
>
>
> > > there's ignorance in that respect. Only on the part of those who support Hulda.
> >
> > Yes people who support Hulda are ignorant in the sense they accept
something
> > on per faith/lack of critical understanding. These sick people are playing with their lives (or
> > what remaining time
they
> > have left)
>
> We agree on this one thing.
>
>
> > > > You cannot refute her claims because you don't have enough
experience or
> > the
> > > > science to refute them,
> > > Wrong. Anyone with a good background in medicine and the basic science of biology has the
> > > experience and background to refute her claims. I would also point out that it is not up to me
> > > to refute them. It is up
to
> > > Hulda to prove them.
> >
> > Please show me how I'd be interested?
> >
> > > However, there are quite a few good pages debunking Hulda:
> > > http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clark.html
> > >
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/primack
> > >
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pappas.
> > > http://cancerguide.org/hulda_clark.html http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/
> > > http://www.uoguelph.ca/~kkolas/fluke.html
> >
> > I have 2 of Hulda's books here sitting on my shelf - that pretty much 'debunks' her - if anyone
> > wants to pay the postage I will send them to
you
> > free.
>
> I never read Hulda's books because it would necessitate giving money to her. I'd be tempted to
> take you up on your offer, except that I can tell just from the material on Hulda's website that
> her stuff is pure ****. Consequently I don't really feel the need to waste my time.
>
>
> > Quackwatch although a good source of information is one sided - if
Barret
> > gave the whole story then people could make up their minds better.
>
> In most cases, Barrett is about as even-handed as one could wish.
>
>
> > > Heck, even naturopaths don't buy Hulda's ****:
> > >
> >
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/clarkaff/pizzorno.htm
> > l
> > > >neither can she prove them.
> > > Quite true. Nor has she really tried to prove them.
> >
> > She has - via testimonials and x-rays in her books.
>
> Testimonials do not constitute acceptable scientific data, particularly when they are
> unsubstantiated.
>
>
> > She also knows that the desperate are going to accept those testimonials
and
> > buy her books.
>
> Quite correct.
>
>
> > > >You can have an opinion that they don't work.
> > > Ah, yes, the usual altie delusion that it is just an "opinion" that Hulda's methods are
> > > worthless.
> >
> > Baised and largely hypocritical Orac, hinting that I am a 'delusional altie.' bit like pot
> > calling kettle.
>
> It is a frequent altie misconception that nearly all opinions are created equal and that the
> opinion of any old alt-med-supporter is equivalent to that of someone trained in cancer biology. I
> would not presume to consider my opinion regarding nuclear physics to be equivalent to that of a
> bona fide nuclear physicist (even though my chemistry degree did require me to study some nuclear
> physics as an undergraduate). That doesn't mean I consider my opinion on nuclear physics to be
> worthless, but unlike too many of the alties around here I certainly don't delude myself into
> thinking my opinion is just as valid as that of a nuclear physicist.
>
>
> > > > Something I would like to see - Hulda on NCCAM - how's about a small
> > wager
> > > > that that will never happen?
> > > Probably true. Even NCCAM has enough judgment to recognize something
as
> > > utterly worthless as Hulda Clark's device.
> > > > > The thing with Hulda is, she makes crazy mad cap claims.
> > > > > Indeed she does. But worse, she makes money treating people with
> > useless
> > > > > therapies based on those crazy madcap claims.
> > > >
> > > > Again how do you know they are useless? There's no evidence?
> > >
> > > No, there's plenty of evidence.
> >
> > Such as? Can you show any documented well designed experiments ?
>
> Be careful. You're dangerously close to the logical fallacy of argumentum ad ignorantiam (appeal
> to ignorance, also related to shifting the burden of proof).
>
> http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#ignorantiam
> http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#shifting
> http://datanation.com/fallacies/distract/ig.htm http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-
> proof.html
>
>
>
> > > > And yes she makes money and is guilty of shameless advertisement. "I've got cancer let's go
> > > > to Hulda or Schultz - they will make t
> > better."
> > > The problem is, they won't.
> >
> > Again you don't know.
>
> Again, I do know.
>
>
> > > Indeed, and this is one reason Hulda is a quack. Anotheer problem with Clark's case histories
> > > is that it is not at all clear that most of the patients actually even had cancer. (For most
> > > patients, there were no biopsy results presented.) Also, Clark didn't follow them very long at
> > > all--sometimes she declared patients "cured" after mere days (and we
all
> > > know how most cancers need to be followed at least five years--and
some
> > > even ten years--to be certain they are very unlikely to return). Thus
we
> > > have no idea if these patients were truly "cured" or simply weren't followed. I could easily
> > > produce "cure" rates equivalent to Hulda Clark's if I simply operated, declared the patient
> > > "cured," and then never saw the patient again.
> >
> > Yup Hulda is 'doing the chemo' on those people - showing shrinking
tumours.
>
> Wrong. She's not even showing that, really, as she doesn't even definitively show that it's her
> device that's doing the "shrinking." In all too many cases, she doesn't even actually show that
> her "patients" actually have cancer--or even what kind.
>
>
> > No survival benefit shown, which is also what a lot of doctors are
guilty
> > of. "Your tumours are shinking - that's a good sign!" ....when in actuality
a
> > small %age of the tumour is malignant cells.
>
> Shrinking tumors sometimes does result in an increase in survival. Sometimes it does not. However,
> a tumor that shrinks in response to therapy at least means there *might* be a survival advantage.
>
>
> > > > This really doesn't effect me because I live in another country, but
you
> > > > guys pay your taxes for that. I think it needs 'a right kick up the backside.' and some
> > > > serious restructuring. Or maybe the NCCAM is just another front to disprove things or cast
dis
> > > > information?
> > > Ah, yes. The old conspiracy theory returns. I wondered when this would
> > happen.
> >
> > You should read about them, they make interesting reading and they exist like the vitamin
> > cartels and the government viral experiments on the population which you probably are
> > unaware of.
>
> None of which shows definitively any "conspiracy" to "suppress" alt med.
>
>
> > > And until the results of his NCCAM-funded study come in, we won't know which it is, will we?
> > > I'm expecting the former but am willing to be pleasantly surprised by the latter.
> >
> > I doubt that you will ever see it, more bar raising and bickering on
both
> > sides.
>
> We'll see.
>
> [Snip]
>
> --
> |

"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> > > Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.
> >
> > Badly designed mice experiments, lies etc.
>
> Please produce specific scientific articles describing "badly designed mouse experiments" so that
> I can see for myself whether the experiments were, in fact, "badly designed."
>
>
> > Bad experiments where both sets of mice are stored in the same cages,
eating
> > each others feces.
>
> Sources? Again, sources?

www.worldwithoutcancer.com/ Has the details of the actual mice experiments experiments on them.

> If they weren't working for years, her doctor probably should have changed to different
> medications, don't you think?

Nope that didn't happen.

> I don't have hypertension, and that is not the way you show that a remedy works. Of course, it is
> known that changing one's diet and beginning to exercise can lower blood pressure.

She's 16 stone 5ft2 - hardly an exercise evangalist.

> > Quackwatch although a good source of information is one sided - if
Barret
> > gave the whole story then people could make up their minds better.
> In most cases, Barrett is about as even-handed as one could wish.

I think not, he carefully avoids the many positive Laetrile experiments done at Sloan.

> It is a frequent altie misconception that nearly all opinions are created equal and that the
> opinion of any old alt-med-supporter is equivalent to that of someone trained in cancer biology. I
> would not presume to consider my opinion regarding nuclear physics to be equivalent to that of a
> bona fide nuclear physicist (even though my chemistry degree did require me to study some nuclear
> physics as an undergraduate). That doesn't mean I consider my opinion on nuclear physics to be
> worthless, but unlike too many of the alties around here I certainly don't delude myself into
> thinking my opinion is just as valid as that of a nuclear physicist.

Medicine doesn't even know what's causing cancer - that includes you.

> Be careful. You're dangerously close to the logical fallacy of argumentum ad ignorantiam (appeal
> to ignorance, also related to shifting the burden of proof).
>
> http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#ignorantiam
> http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#shifting
> http://datanation.com/fallacies/distract/ig.htm http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-
> proof.html

I think you have me mis-pegged there. If I turn your argument around it also applies to you.

> Again, I do know.
Your baised opinion says you do know.

> > > Indeed, and this is one reason Hulda is a quack. Anotheer problem with Clark's case histories
> > > is that it is not at all clear that most of the patients actually even had cancer. (For most
> > > patients, there were no biopsy results presented.) Also, Clark didn't follow them very long at
> > > all--sometimes she declared patients "cured" after mere days (and we
all
> > > know how most cancers need to be followed at least five years--and
some
> > > even ten years--to be certain they are very unlikely to return). Thus
we
> > > have no idea if these patients were truly "cured" or simply weren't followed. I could easily
> > > produce "cure" rates equivalent to Hulda Clark's if I simply operated, declared the patient
> > > "cured," and then never saw the patient again.
> >
> > Yup Hulda is 'doing the chemo' on those people - showing shrinking
tumours.
>
> Wrong. She's not even showing that, really, as she doesn't even definitively show that it's her
> device that's doing the "shrinking." In all too many cases, she doesn't even actually show that
> her "patients" actually have cancer--or even what kind.

She is - she's showing shrinking tumours in her books by many scans. This could be chemo or her
treatment or natural remission who knows?

> Shrinking tumors sometimes does result in an increase in survival. Sometimes it does not. However,
> a tumor that shrinks in response to therapy at least means there *might* be a survival advantage.

Indeed - that's where Hulda fails.

> > > > This really doesn't effect me because I live in another country, but
you
> > > > guys pay your taxes for that. I think it needs 'a right kick up the backside.' and some
> > > > serious restructuring. Or maybe the NCCAM is just another front to disprove things or cast
dis
> > > > information?
> > > Ah, yes. The old conspiracy theory returns. I wondered when this would
> > happen.
> >
> > You should read about them, they make interesting reading and they exist like the vitamin
> > cartels and the government viral experiments on the population which you probably are
> > unaware of.
> None of which shows definitively any "conspiracy" to "suppress" alt med.

It shows that their interest in money far outweighs their interest in our health.

> > > And until the results of his NCCAM-funded study come in, we won't know which it is, will we?
> > > I'm expecting the former but am willing to be pleasantly surprised by the latter.
> >
> > I doubt that you will ever see it, more bar raising and bickering on
both
> > sides.
>
> We'll see.

Hopefully. Anth

> "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > > Tell us specifically how the criteria were "messed with" for Laetrile.
> > >
> > > Badly designed mice experiments, lies etc.
> >
> > Please produce specific scientific articles describing "badly designed mouse experiments" so
> > that I can see for myself whether the experiments were, in fact, "badly designed."
> >
> >
> > > Bad experiments where both sets of mice are stored in the same cages,
> eating
> > > each others feces.
> >
> > Sources? Again, sources?
>
> www.worldwithoutcancer.com/ Has the details of the actual mice experiments experiments on them.

I didn't see it there, only a notice that they no longer can import laetrile.

[Snip]

> > > Quackwatch although a good source of information is one sided - if
> Barret
> > > gave the whole story then people could make up their minds better.
> > In most cases, Barrett is about as even-handed as one could wish.
>
> I think not, he carefully avoids the many positive Laetrile experiments done at Sloan.

Citations from the peer-reviewed literature?

> > It is a frequent altie misconception that nearly all opinions are created equal and that the
> > opinion of any old alt-med-supporter is equivalent to that of someone trained in cancer biology.
> > I would not presume to consider my opinion regarding nuclear physics to be equivalent to that of
> > a bona fide nuclear physicist (even though my chemistry degree did require me to study some
> > nuclear physics as an undergraduate). That doesn't mean I consider my opinion on nuclear physics
> > to be worthless, but unlike too many of the alties around here I certainly don't delude myself
> > into thinking my opinion is just as valid as that of a nuclear physicist.
>
> Medicine doesn't even know what's causing cancer - that includes you.

Unlike Hulda Clark, I never claimed to know what the cause of all cancers. I do know enough to know,
however, that her intestinal flukes are not the cause of cancer.

> > Be careful. You're dangerously close to the logical fallacy of argumentum ad ignorantiam (appeal
> > to ignorance, also related to shifting the burden of proof).
> >
> > http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#ignorantiam
> > http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#shifting
> > http://datanation.com/fallacies/distract/ig.htm http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/burden-of-
> > proof.html
>
> I think you have me mis-pegged there. If I turn your argument around it also applies to you.

Nope. Read a little more carefully. Whether you realize it or not, you are very close to saying
that, because there is not what you would consider adequate evidence disproving Hulda that her stuff
must therefore be considered true.

--
|

> Sources are all in the book The Story of Vitamin B17

And let me guess: The book is sold by companies selling Laetrile, right?

--
|