Should People That Do Track Running Bike?

blastguardgear

May 9, 2015
I bike 2 times a week and do sprints on hard difficulty for shot bursts(30 seconds). Would that train my body to power through and push of faster when on the track. The trainer says that biking can produce power and strength and will help me. I am just in the middle right now. What are some things i can do along with biking.

I think cycling is a great way to cross train. It does use the muscles differently than running because when you run, each foot is directly under your center of gravity, when you bike your feet are approximately shoulder width apart. This uses the outer part of the thigh muscles far more than anything you would running, hiking, or climbing stairs. I don't know if it will make you a faster sprinter, but it is a great exercise for endurance. It is also non-impact, which means you won't be running into issues like shin splints or knee problems which can happen if you run too much or run on a hard surface.

I think you need training on a really hard ground, on a mountain for example. I think there's loads like DancingLady mentioned in which it can strengthen your muscles and make you do a hard exercise.

Apologies if I misunderstood the question but I'd recommend HIIT training. By using these short intense training sessions you will improve your glucose metabolism (according to Wikipedia) and athletic condition. I usually try to cycle at 30 km/h for 1 minute followed by 2 minutes slow cycling no slower than 10 km/h.

Do not discount the importance of strength training. Movements like squats and deadlifts can help you build explosive strength. just like a bodybuilder who discount cardiovascular fitness, not getting your muscles up to their proper strength and hold you back. strong muscles are also injury resistant.

Do not discount the importance of strength training. Movements like squats and deadlifts can help you build explosive strength. just like a bodybuilder who discount cardiovascular fitness, not getting your muscles up to their proper strength and hold you back. strong muscles are also injury resistant.

It wouldn't be an instant impact excersice for sprinting per say, but it would pair perfectly with long distance running such as cross country and maybe the 5k. Like DancingLady said, it improves your endurance at a great way reducing the impact to your knees from your legs stomping on the ground. Very good if you are uncomfortable with running long distance or if you have very weak ankles!

You can maybe look into squatting heavy weights at the gym. That's bound to give you some strength at least. Ask your trainer for advice so you don't go overboard and injure yourself. Also, eat well and sleep a lot.

dc31 said:
Apologies if I misunderstood the question but I'd recommend HIIT training. By using these short intense training sessions you will improve your glucose metabolism (according to Wikipedia) and athletic condition. I usually try to cycle at 30 km/h for 1 minute followed by 2 minutes slow cycling no slower than 10 km/h.
That's good way to go.

I agree with weight training. The leg strength needed for sprinting can be acquired thorough intense weight training. High resistance biking is also a greaytway to improve that. I don't think trying to bike as fast as you can to simulate sprinting is a great way to improve your sprinting so instead of biking as fast as you can, try to bike as hard as you can.