Should the Largest Cycling Event in the World be Banned?

murlev

Apr 5, 2010
I am posting this in the hope that many of the viewers would like to see several million dollars raised for medical research, hospitals and other worthy causes.

The Tour de l'Ile de Montreal is the largest cycling event in the world. It takes place in Quebec, the worst area by far, for both charitable giving/volunteerism north of Mexico.

The event cost the taxpayers of Montreal $650,000 in 2009. It inconvenienced, tens if not hundreds of thousands of people, hurt retailers and did zip for tourism.

We can live with all that.

What we can not live with is that thousands of similar events cooperate with charity, while Velo Quebec, the organizer of this event won't!

The Mayor of Montreal (Gerald Tremblay) promised to do something positive about the situation eight years ago. He failed to do as he pledged.

He was asked two months ago to set up the Mayor of Montreal Charity Challenge and invite the event's participants to raise $$ directly for the charities of the participants' choice. He promised to phone the next day. He again failed to do as he had pledged.

If you would like to see more $$ raised for medical research and other worthwhile things in the worst area for charitable giving/volunteerism by far in Canada and the USA, please send a link to this post to Mayor Tremblay at
[email protected] and copy your message to [email protected]

Thank you,

Murray Levine
Founder
Philanthropic Athletes Foundation (Well over $2 billion raised through non-fund-raising athletic events)
Activism at work: Murray’s Blog

roadhouse said:
I'm not following you, are you for or against the Tour to continue?

I am all for the event, BUT if the participants are not invited to raise $$$ I will squeeze it, until it does.

The mayor's email address is [email protected]

Le Tour de l'Ile de Montreal is no longer the largest cycling event in the world. Bine New York's 5 Boro Cycle (an event that invites their participants to raise funds for charity) now is.

The people of Quebec have the dubious distinction of being the least charitable of every province in Canada, and all but West Virginia and one of the Dakota's, in the US.

Voluntarism and blood contributions are also far less in Quebec that elsewhere.