Should the seat be lower for jumping than distance riding?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Skippii, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    For going several miles at a time, I like my seat so that when the pedal
    is down, my leg is almost completely straight (but not quite). When I
    jump like that, I can't get higher than 2 or 3 inches. With the seat
    lower, I can get maybe 5 inches. Still sucks, but a little better. Does
    my technique just suck, or do a lot of you keep your seats lower for
    jumping?

    --
    Skippii - Bassist
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

  2. A lower seat post is undoubtedly better for hopping. With a high seat
    post you only get as high as your legs can carry you, but with a lower
    post you can pull the uni farther up than your actual body is going,
    resulting in extra height.

    --
    onewheelwizzard - Upenn's "That Guy"

    "Joe is a Pirate Captain Shao-Lin Robot Kung-fu Indian War Dancing
    rapscallion." - Brennan Lee Mulligan
    onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

  3. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    Actually for Seat out hopping, your Seat post should be set(from what I,
    and many others do) to wherewhen you seat out your arm is just barely
    fully extended and you dont have to hunch alot... So a higher seatpost
    works better, having it too low sucks....

    --
    Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!

    [image: http://pics.xs.to/pics/04063/catko.jpg]
    I have the amazing power to talk to cats!=^.^=

  4. Skippii wrote:
    > *For going several miles at a time, I like my seat so that when the
    > pedal is down, my leg is almost completely straight (but not quite).
    > When I jump like that, I can't get higher than 2 or 3 inches. With the
    > seat lower, I can get maybe 5 inches. Still sucks, but a little
    > better. Does my technique just suck, or do a lot of you keep your
    > seats lower for jumping? *

    To be brutally honest, if you can only hop about 5", then it doesn't
    matter how high your seat is, the limit is gonna be your technique. I
    can get around 12" seat in even when my feet can barely touch the pedals
    at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I get around 16" even when the seat
    is at my nipple height when I'm seat out. A good rule of thumb later if
    you really want to get into trials is you should have your seat low
    enough that if you fall you won't nut yourself, but high enough that
    when seat out, and in you "home" position of hopping or stillstanding
    seat out, you aren't overly hunched over, but you still can't really
    stand up straight. But right now just do what feels comfortable, adn
    practice. You should be able to get at least 12" seat in before you have
    to even think about seat height. Basically, your uni should be no
    different than your feet. How high can you jump without ticking your
    legs, while just standing? Take like 0-3" off of that, and you have how
    high you can jump with a tall seat on your uni. The same goes for
    sidehops seat out. I can do about 34" on my feet, and 32" on my uni, if
    that gives you any idea.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  5. Skippii

    Skippii Guest

    gerblefranklin wrote:
    > *
    >
    > To be brutally honest, if you can only hop about 5", then it doesn't
    > matter how high your seat is, the limit is gonna be your technique. I
    > can get around 12" seat in even when my feet can barely touch the
    > pedals at the bottom of the pedal stroke. I get around 16" even when
    > the seat is at my nipple height when I'm seat out. A good rule of
    > thumb later if you really want to get into trials is you should have
    > your seat low enough that if you fall you won't nut yourself, but high
    > enough that when seat out, and in you "home" position of hopping or
    > stillstanding seat out, you aren't overly hunched over, but you still
    > can't really stand up straight. But right now just do what feels
    > comfortable, adn practice. You should be able to get at least 12" seat
    > in before you have to even think about seat height. Basically, your
    > uni should be no different than your feet. How high can you jump
    > without ticking your legs, while just standing? Take like 0-3" off of
    > that, and you have how high you can jump with a tall seat on your uni.
    > The same goes for sidehops seat out. I can do about 34" on my feet,
    > and 32" on my uni, if that gives you any idea. *

    Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

    Now I just have to figure out what I'm doing wrong.