Should the thread on carrying guns be removed?

The 'F' word?

Why Fiocchi, of course!

Fiocchi ammunition and Campagnolo components...now THAT'S Italian!

hd reynolds said:
To be fair on both sides I think threads with the mention of guns be treated same way as when the F word is mentioned.
Discussion about guns brings out passionate responses, just as quoted above. I read it as "To be fair on both sides I think the other side sucks."

The thread in question is completely relevant to cycling because cyclists are victims of attack, and we cyclists do need to discuss methods of countering an attack. The discussion goes far and wide and covers many ideas on how to deal with the situation. It also shows us that cyclists are a diverse bunch whose beliefs reflect society as a whole.

There may be as many gun owners as there are cyclists, of course the thread is lively and full of comments. If it looks like gun owners have more to say in the thread then don't get sour and ask for the thread to be pulled; add your views to the same thread - at least while we are free to do so!

To ask that certain beliefs be censored, and to suggest that 'gun' is a swear word on this forum is pure discrimination.

hd reynolds said:
To be fair on both sides I think threads with the mention of guns be treated same way as when the F word is mentioned.
" Flush out your headgear new guy. Freedom's just a word. If I'm gonna die for a word, that word is POONTANG "

animal - Full Metal Jacket

a rulemaker such as yourself should be in charge of so much more than this.

Duffer said:
I find it thought provoking, though it has resulted in some rather ill-chosen words being tossed about like firecrackers. I believe it should be retained as a reference piece.

I suggest the following:
  1. Move it to the Soapbox.
  2. Set a closure date for 30 days hence.
  3. At the 10-day mark, instruct participants to summarize their positions.
  4. Close the thread to further posts at the 30-day terminus.
  5. People will enter one last flame/slam/ new argument in the last 2 days, knowing it cannot be reubutted. This will cause hard feelings and prompt another similar to start, so...
  6. Moderators cleanse from the thread, the last 2 days of new arguments/flames/slams.
  7. Seal it with TIG welds and call it done!
Frankly it reminds me of several bizarre threads on boards dealing with the teaching of science. The Creationist/Intelligent Design wackos found them and began flooding them with flames, leading to the wholesale abandonment of the websites. I don't want to see that happening here.

lumpy said:
you're just a weenie if you pack heat
Yeah, whatever. This happened to hit close to my home:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=899753

I don't think the gunman cared if you're a cyclist or not. Anyways, the story goes that it was an off-duty cop with a concealed weapon who distracted (fired on) the suspect long enough to stop the killing spree before other officers moved in. I guess he's a weenie too?

You know, the irony of this is that this may become the new 'How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment' thread.

Piotr said:
Yeah, whatever. This happened to hit close to my home:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=899753

I don't think the gunman cared if you're a cyclist or not. Anyways, the story goes that it was an off-duty cop with a concealed weapon who distracted (fired on) the suspect long enough to stop the killing spree before other officers moved in. I guess he's a weenie too?
So, despite being armed the off-duty officer was unable to actually hit the gunman? The best he could do was use his weapon as a 'distraction'?
He's a weenie.

1id10t said:
You know, the irony of this is that this may become the new 'How many of you carry a gun as part of your cycling equipment' thread.
I've noticed that too. I'd like for this thread to be closed. How do I start a poll for that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CAMPYBOB said:
I run one and moderate on two other firearm boards.

We have an international membership and regularly discuss cycling and bicycle racing in the 'general discussion' forums.

Some folks find cycling topics worth reading and some don't.
Hmmm.'Bulletfest Forum'...care to show me the cycling threads bobbyboy?
http://www.bulletfest.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6&PN=1&FID=1&PR=3
BulletFest Forums: BulletFest forum rules

CAMPYBOB said:
I run one and moderate on two other firearm boards.

We have an international membership and regularly discuss cycling and bicycle racing in the 'general discussion' forums.

Some folks find cycling topics worth reading and some don't.
'Guns Network'. Care to show the bicycle and bike racing threads on that one bob?
'Chief Thunder and Campybob gave me wood!'...that was a pretty funny thread...but it wasn't about cycling.
:D :D :D

stevebaby said:
'Guns Network'. Care to show the bicycle and bike racing threads on that one bob?
'Chief Thunder and Campybob gave me wood!'...that was a pretty funny thread...but it wasn't about cycling.
:D :D :D
This '..Campybob gave me WOOD!'...what's that about then?
Are you donating some timber to one of your less fortunate man friends?
That's very thoughtful of you Bob.
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14437&referrerid=42230
The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums - Chief Thunder and Campybob gave me WOOD! :D :D :D

lumpy said:
Check out these pics
http://www.bulletfest.net/pics.asp
:eek:

and people think we're weird for our cycling shorts! :rolleyes:
Maybe those cars were trying to steal the 'WOOD' that Bob likes to give his friends and he had to shoot them to protect himself.
Maybe he was hunting those cars for food!
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14437&referrerid=42230
The Guns Network LLC ~ Discussion Forums - Chief Thunder and Campybob gave me WOOD!
Was Chief Thunder 'giving WOOD!' too Bob?

I fear this thread has degenerated into the same vulgar insults regarding sexual orientation, heritage, national origin and creed as the other one.

On both threads it appears to be coming from one participant and of late, just that one alone.

Shouting down with insults is weak argumentation, if indeed it can be referred to as argumentation. While strong argumentation and vigorous discussion are the marks of healthy discourse, personal insults are the mark of a sham discourse.

I belong to Pink Pistols for good cause, as armed gays don't get bashed. The thread serves good purpose and should continue, but it appears moderator intervention is called for.

I quite agree. The person who accused me of being a corrupt police officer and a coward should be moderated.I won't press the point though. That's pretty big of me I think. In fact...it's damned magnanimous. I'm a wonderful person.
BTW, under the laws of the country where this forum is based it's an offence to make a false accusation of criminal actions. Section 315 of the Crimes Act 1900 (New South Wales)

stevebaby said:
A thread about carrying lethal weapons has as much relevance to cycling as a thread on cycling would have in a pro weapon site i.e none. It's a hijack by a minority and in an international forum, has little relevance to the majority of members. Should it be removed?
I see YOU won't stop posting on that thread until forced.

Here's such a cycling thread on a gun forum: http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/480105897?r=932101997#932101997

Many more to be Googled.

If the few dozen millions of people who could not legally carry a gun while cycling are not the minority, then you must be referring to the billion-odd who can?

Please excuse the rant all. Just another one of those FREEKING FREEDOMS us Yanks get so heated about - peacable assembly for free speech, even if on an internet forum. Sorry we can't accomodate you and agree to be censored.