Should this freehub body be popping out so easily?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Whenever I change my wheel, the Powertap freehub body pops out. The tool-less design of these freehub bodies is a good intention I suppose, but not if the thing won't stay in. Is there something obvious I am doing wrong. Also, I can't easily pop it back in. Those three pawl (??) things block it from going back in easily. So I need to stick a knife in there to hold the pawls down.
I watched a YouTube video and a mechanic popped the same exact 11-speed body in easily.

Fishing line works well for holding the pawls in a compressed position for re-assembly.

Per the Power Tap user manual:

[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)][SIZE= 16px]1. Remove the end cap on the freewheel side with a sharp tug. An axle vise may be necessary to hold the end cap during[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)][SIZE= 16px]disassembly. If the end cap is stuck, use the quick release skewer to push the end cap off from the opposite side.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 16px]It sounds like the end cap is the only means of securing the freehub body to the Power Tap hub, itself. How difficult is it to remove your end cap? It should require a "sharp tug" to remove at a minimum.[/SIZE]

Quote:Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB . Fishing line works well for holding the pawls in a compressed position for re-assembly.

Dental Floss is a more readily available option (for most people!?!) which works well for compressing the pawls, if required, for reassembly ...

"Dental Floss is a more readily available option (for most people!?!)"

LMFAO!