Should we all bother with Titanium ?

Bro Deal said:
Hmmm, frames made out of uranium. With the extra weight I could keep up with the clydesdales when descending. I'd just need a lead saddle to protect the berries...
Phill's right Bro. We all have night races down under where we don't need lights. We just ride our Uranium frame bikes which glow in the dark.

Russ Reynolds said:
Just pull'n ya plonka mate. The thread needed a bit of a rev up.....a bit of Venom. How bout you and me be like WWF wrestlers. :mad: :mad: We hate each other right (wink, wink);) . I'll be Macho Man :cool: cause I luv CF, and because you ride a steely, you can be the Honky Tonk Man:D . No, sorry mate just jok'n.:D I've never used those little facey things before, spose I had better start hey.
Where is the bloke who just snoted EPO, oh there he is :eek:
Hey, I start getting weird when someone pulls my plonka. :D Can I just go bash the rednecks with a fold-up chair? I prefer steel chairs, since the impact is much more real than those pussyfied Ti and CF chairs.

Wurm said:
Hey, I start getting weird when someone pulls my plonka. :D Can I just go bash the rednecks with a fold-up chair? I prefer steel chairs, since the impact is much more real than those pussyfied Ti and CF chairs.
That's betta mate. Now we know where we are both com'n from, let's get agro. Although, you know we can never be real friends;) . Not whilever you're still on that Combine Harvester and I'm on a Weapon. I was trying to keep tabs on the number of times this thread has changed tact but I lost count. And now that we are talk'n Wrestl'n, mate get comfy, this can now go foreva.......

Bashing red necks with Al chairs is far more statisfing as the extra vibration transmitted from the impact is far more satisfing. Steel or cast iron is far too heavy and you's hurt our back trying to swing it too fast.
I don't just bash red necks I'll bash any Australian (I'm from New Zealand, bring on the rugby world cup!!!)

Problem people are starting to find with uranium frames is if you don't go to a reputatable builder they won't use properly depleted uranium. The up side is you really will kill your opposistion just by turn up to the start of a race, but probably won't make it to the podium yourself.

Also I've heard of people who have uranium enriched seat rails on thier ergo cut out saddles but still suffer occasional impotence and thier kids all look like the postman.

Looks like a cage match coming: me & Phill vs. Russ & one of his drinkin mates with latent tendencies. Who woulda thunk a Kiwi and a Merkin would gang up on a couple-a Aussie sweethearts?

Blimey!

I see we'll still have to hammer out an agreement on "peripherals"...oops!...that may be too many syllables...I mean wep-pons.

Russ Reynolds said:
No probs but it will cost ya.
We need weights. Total bike weight, total bike + rider weight.
No BS, just the truth, and which bits you have got your eye on to replace and transplant to that FAT bike in the corner.

hmm...let's see, I'm 64 kg and the bike's about 8 kg....no plans to replace any bits, it's light enough (or rather...I am light enough that I think it doesn't matter, really) :p

larryb said:
The train was a wreck and most of the bikes were toast.
however one lucky guy was able to ride off.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/slideshow/?o=lt&pic_id=18181&v=2

he might have a medical problem, butt he won't discuss it, till he has a few beers. and maybe watches some fights.

cu,
larryb

I thought that was the new secret training device made for Obree's comeback? I heard the UCI is planning on making it illegal though, as the front pannier acts too much like a fairing, and the lack of a seat tube gives an unfair advantage.

garage sale GT said:
I admire that dude. What a stand-up guy.
+1. A lot of guys wouldn't be willing to take the job of town pooper-scooper, but Frank saw the perfect chance to merge his love of bikes with a little retirement income :)

dhk2 said:
+1. A lot of guys wouldn't be willing to take the job of town pooper-scooper, but Frank saw the perfect chance to merge his love of bikes with a little retirement income :)
Of course! Besides, he is, um, standing up. :rolleyes: :( :rolleyes: :( :rolleyes: :(

Wurm said:
Looks like a cage match coming: me & Phill vs. Russ & one of his drinkin mates with latent tendencies. Who woulda thunk a Kiwi and a Merkin would gang up on a couple-a Aussie sweethearts?

Blimey!

I see we'll still have to hammer out an agreement on "peripherals"...oops!...that may be too many syllables...I mean wep-pons.
What's a Merkin anyway before I go jump'n in the ring against one. And I'm gunna have ta have a body shave too. I've been told that it's sometimes a bit wooley which just made old Phil's eyes light up. :eek:

Well I have to say the women here in Australia are on average more attractive than in NZ (not that there aren't attractive women there), but the sheep here in OZ don't even come close to measuring up!

Russ Reynolds said:
I was just reading up on some stainless steel articles and the Reynolds 953 stainless looks like it has it's act together for bike frames. The articles however were written late 2005 and all though the wheels of buisness don't move real quick, you would think that a few frame builders would be jumping in the stainless band wagon by now if stainless had some major benefits. Perhaps there are no major benefits over Ti.

Nice welding and finish on this one though hey?

Joker_Seat_Cluster.jpg
Fillet brazing.

garage sale GT said:
Fillet brazing.
I could do the same with Silastic. Beautiful welds everytime in 1/2 the time. There is a downside though which I haven't quite worked out.

I wouldn't touch titanium ever, even now its over priced, heavy and basically looks very ordinary. The frames are not stiff and a quick look in the pro peloton shows you almost nobody riding them. Titanium frames are among the biggest rip offs you will encounter in cycling.

baker3 said:
I wouldn't touch titanium ever, even now its over priced, heavy and basically looks very ordinary. The frames are not stiff and a quick look in the pro peloton shows you almost nobody riding them. Titanium frames are among the biggest rip offs you will encounter in cycling.

My 2 cents in reply;
$1800
18.5 lbs.
ordinary but classy
I'm not a pro
ripped off?...15,000 fun miles and counting

Bike4Him said:
My 2 cents in reply;
$1800
18.5 lbs.
ordinary but classy
I'm not a pro
ripped off?...15,000 fun miles and counting

I'll double your 2 cents worth. Now that CF is so common, ti mostly outclasses it. Plus, you've got a durable lifetime finish, not a soft plastic one that's easily scratched or scraped. A buddy here has a Lynskey custom ti, US made, that certainly stands out in the sea of Trek et al asian CF frames.

Agree what the pro's ride have nothing to do with you or I either. They don't care about durability, since they get a new bike free at least once a season or after every crash.

IMO, ti still rates a look by those spending a lot of money on a frame. Sure, it may never compete at the extreme low-gram end of the weight scale, but it can certainly make a durable, strong and great-riding frame. Weight isn't the whole story when selecting equipment, at least not for me.

sogood said:
It's almost impossible to see a Ti bike let alone test ride one. But have come across a Ti frame that looked gorgeous. I have the geometry on the frame but no idea how well it'll ride (53cm frame, 74 deg seatube, 73 deg headtube for a start). It uses 3-2.5 Ti tubing. Wondering and wondering... :rolleyes:

My bike is basically the same as this and it is my favorite out of all the bikes I have owned over the years and I have owned Fujis,Univegas which were cro-moly steel usually Tange tubing, a custom steel made with Columbus SL tubing and a Cannondale 3.0 bike. The only regular bicycle material I have not owned is in carbon fiber. I did ride an early bike made of carbon fiber and did not like it but that was when carbon fiber was just beginning to be used for bicycles and there have been many advancements in bicycle construction with CF since then.
As others have said it is not so much the material that is used but how it is constructed.

If the frame fits, rides nice and you like it who cares what it's made from?

Pros ride what they're given - not necessarily what's 'the best of the best', it's just the best of what's on offer from that manufacturer.

Iban Mayo didn't seem to worry too much about frame material when he smashed the Mt Ventoux record, neither did Pantani when he set the record on Alpe DHuez - both on an aluminum bike and neither did Sean Kelly who rode a flex-a-noodle Vitus 979 to many a victory.

People who obsess about weight should step away from the bike and look at themselves in the mirror after stepping out of the shower and see ways to drop kg's rather than a couple of grams off the bike.

If you just happen to have ~ 4 to 5% bodyfat and not much in the way of extra muscle the this minor rant doesn't apply... but to the 99.5% folks who ride it does.