Should we all bother with Titanium ?

baker3 said:
I wouldn't touch titanium ever, even now its over priced, heavy and basically looks very ordinary. The frames are not stiff and a quick look in the pro peloton shows you almost nobody riding them. Titanium frames are among the biggest rip offs you will encounter in cycling.

Your comments have to be a poor attempt at baiting or you're a five year old who has been let loose on their parents PC.

Yeah, the comment did reveal the guy has some serious issues. Most of the who come on and talk about "heavy" frames are kids or new riders who think ultra-light weight is the most important thing about a frame, as if saving a pound on the frame is going to make them a racer. The newest sub-1 kg CF frames certainly are amazing from a technical standpoint and fun to ride, but in the real world mean very little for performance.

People need to keep things in perspective. On big rides here, I normally carry two 24 oz water bottles (3 lbs of fluids) which weigh slightly more than my frame. I've experienced a "negative weight" frame just by leaving those at home.....and it's a bit sad to see how little difference this makes climbing speed up my home hill.

And all this is before counting the 20 extra lbs of bodyweight I've got this season.....that's like carrying 6 extra "heavy" ti frames :)

dhk2 said:
Yeah, the comment did reveal the guy has some serious issues. Most of the who come on and talk about "heavy" frames are kids or new riders who think ultra-light weight is the most important thing about a frame, as if saving a pound on the frame is going to make them a racer. The newest sub-1 kg CF frames certainly are amazing from a technical standpoint and fun to ride, but in the real world mean very little for performance.

People need to keep things in perspective. On big rides here, I normally carry two 24 oz water bottles (3 lbs of fluids) which weigh slightly more than my frame. I've experienced a "negative weight" frame just by leaving those at home.....and it's a bit sad to see how little difference this makes climbing speed up my home hill.

And all this is before counting the 20 extra lbs of bodyweight I've got this season.....that's like carrying 6 extra "heavy" ti frames :)

Yep, we call it a 'SBW', Standard Bike Weight, or 20 pounds. What the vast majority of rec. cyclists could loose. If I loose 20 pounds, my bike weighs ZERO!!