sogood said:
Loaded question, eh? ;)

Alu is dead unless it's scandium! :p
Al is dead unless it's Ga :p

I vote for retro - cast iron manhole covers. :cool:

matagi said:
Al is dead unless it's Ga :p

I vote for retro - cast iron manhole covers. :cool:

You would probably need to make the manhole cover out of a carbon fiber honeycomb to keep the strength up. They would be lighter so you wouldn't need so many county workers standing around waiting to help the guy who lost at rock, paper, scissors, lift the cover so he could go into the hole. I've seen more and more women working on those crews. Carbon honeycomb would help them with lifting as well. Womanhole covers are the next topic.

Bro Deal said:
They are called chastity belts. I think they are made from titanium these days.
Now, CF would definitely be much more comfortable here... :D

Todays AP news item:
Stolen manhole cover! What does Lance say?

http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/72264.html

==============================
"The manhole cover flew up and it cut me from the middle of my belly button to the middle of my back, took two inches of my hip straight off, and then I fell 32 feet, broke my shoulder, six ribs, my hip, my jaw, broke my left hand in four places, bruised my kidneys, my bladder, and blew a nerve out of the back of my neck."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=7c1d7f2d-e8f0-4360-95c0-434e7e7c32fa

===========================
Have you seeen the movie
'One Got Fat: Bicycle Safety'

http://www.archive.org/details/OneGotFa1963

Go ahead and click to see the film!

Reviewer: Marysz -
star.png
star.png
star.png
star.png
no_star.png
- June 18, 2004
Subject: Mean Streets

A group of children wearing ape masks make themselves bag lunches and set off on a bike trip to the park for a picnic. The children who fail to follow bicycle safety rules get hit by cars, steamrollers, pedestrians or fall into open manholes. Even though it’s intended to be humorous, the supposedly child-friendly suburb in this film turns into a deadly place for kids. The one boy who follows all the rules ends up alone at a picnic table in the park without a mask on eating all the other kids' lunches. The film ends with shots of the injured children wrapped in casts in hospital beds and the lonely boy at the picnic table in the empty park. Let’s hope there are none of the adult male predators around that populate some of the other Sid Davis cautionary films. Even kids who follow all the rules are still at risk.

sogood said:
Now, CF would definitely be much more comfortable here... :D
You reckon? Think of all the sharp edges if it failed catastrophically! :eek:

matagi said:
You reckon? Think of all the sharp edges if it failed catastrophically! :eek:
Then that would serve it's purpose even better and hurt those who tried to override its function. :D

This is the perfect function by design!

I'm more concerned about the risks to the wearer! The mere thought has me crossing my legs! :p

Fellas. Concentrate on the subject. How can a thread go from bike frame material, through to manholes and then on to chastity belts in 67 hits.

If you are thinking at all on Titanium, this is a good read from someone who knows http://spokesmanbicycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=331
The broken headtube incident on this website happened when he went to adjust his chastity belt and hit a manhole.

Russ Reynolds said:
Fellas. Concentrate on the subject. How can a thread go from bike frame material, through to manholes and then on to chastity belts in 67 hits.
That's the beauty of online forums :D

Actually Ti as a frame material has been around for quite a while, but it's only recently become "mass-market" (for want of a better term)

And with regard to that article, I would have thought a contaminated weld would cause any frame to fail regardless of material - anyone with more knowledge care to comment?

Russ Reynolds said:
If you are thinking at all on Titanium, this is a good read from someone who knows http://spokesmanbicycles.com/page.cfm?PageID=331
The broken headtube incident on this website happened when he went to adjust his chastity belt and hit a manhole.
I agree. One really have to choose wisely in terms of manufacturer when it comes to Ti in particular. Then it's a luck of the draw thing and fingers crossed, just like any other material.

It's a wonder you 2 are still talking to me after my return comment on the Carbon Frame Repair thread.

Hadn't actually seen your witty riposte in the other thread ... but now that you have revealed yourself as a Swans supporter, all bets are off. :p

Claiming every Sydneysider on the forum as a Swans supporter is clearly the act of a desperate man.

I remain unmoved and unintimidated.

matagi said:
Claiming every Sydneysider on the forum as a Swans supporter is clearly the act of a desperate man.

I remain unmoved and unintimidated.
Who are the Swans????
;)

Is it going anywhere ? Probably. The real test is to go into a pub and asked what do Titanium frames, manhole covers, chastity belts, swans, rabbits and ducks have in common. If you get an answer, it's not. If you get a smack in the mouth, then so I spose it's done. Who's volenteering?