Should we all bother with Titanium ?

I'm not overly concerned about weight. If I want to build up a light bike, I will look for different things. If I want to build up another race bike, I want enough compliance to allow comfort for a few hours at race pressure, a good amount of stiffness (close to the SL01 would be good) and a good fit. If the frame is around 1400-1500 g so be it. Baums new 953 is supposedly a little above 1000g

bobbyOCR said:
I'm not overly concerned about weight. If I want to build up a light bike, I will look for different things. If I want to build up another race bike, I want enough compliance to allow comfort for a few hours at race pressure, a good amount of stiffness (close to the SL01 would be good) and a good fit. If the frame is around 1400-1500 g so be it. Baums new 953 is supposedly a little above 1000g
If your current bike is at 8.4 and dropping, you have got to be pretty happy with that. When I was building mine I concentrated on going as light as possible for everything but left the wheels as the last thing to buy. I dunno what the science is on this next statement but I reckon aerodynamics on the wheels is more important than weight. It would be nice to afford something that is both aero and light but I'd blown most of my budget so it seemed that aero over weight would be a better option. My gut feel was that if anything is going to cause wind resistance,it's going to be the wheels and also if I'm going to have additional weight, I would rather the COG to be as low as possible. This is what I finished up with, the last figure is the weight in grams:

RACE BIKE

Item Type Mat'l Weight
Frame DBR Carbon 1540
Forks DBR Carbon 700
Shifters Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 430
Brakes Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 315
Front Deuralier Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 75
Rear Deuralier Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 195
Stem XVX Carbon / Alloy 170
Handlebars BBB Carbon / Alloy 310
Seatpost Token Carbon 260
Saddle Sella SLR Carbon 185
Wheelset front Bontrager Alloy 1345
Wheelset rear Bontrager Alloy 1790
Chainset Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 610
Bottom Bracket Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 170
Chain Shimano Dura Ace S/S 300
Cluster Shimano Dura Ace Alloy 0
Cables 50
H/bar Tape 50
Pedals Alloy 250
Total 8,745kg

The rear wheel is with casstte. They are a bit heavy by I got them at a good price and they do look good. I could also loose a bit on the forks I suppose.
So you're 345grms faster than me. I only weight 72kg wringing wet so I suppose the total package weight ain't too bad.

How is everyone else going? Who else wants to join 'The Worlds Biggest Loser ?'

Come on, chuck 'em on the scales and scrape off the BS before submitting your final weight!

I am very happy that it is sitting around 8.4. I don't think it needs to be all that much lighter as a race bike, but it would be nice to have a sub 8kg bike.

oh and for references, I weigh 65kg and put out a good sprint.

Mish said:
But how more hurt am I gonna get if I buy titanium and I crash?
Not to beat a dead horse, but when I buy something like a bike or a car I don't look at safety as the first concern unless my family or others are going to be riding along. Since I am the only person riding my bicycle, I could care less about how hurt I am going to get in a crash based on the material because I don't think about crashing when I buy a bike or when I ride. I think of riding. I think what bike is comfortable to me. No matter what material, my objective is to ride, ride fast, ride far, enjoy myself, and stay upright! If you like carbon, buy a carbon fiber bike. If you like aluminum, buy an aluminum bike. To pose the question "should we all bother with titanium" is like saying just because sports cars may be unsafe WE should not bother with them. Well, change the WE to I because the people who like or want to bother with the things you do no should be removed from the WE equation.

jcthomasjr said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but when I buy something like a bike or a car I don't look at safety as the first concern unless my family or others are going to be riding along. Since I am the only person riding my bicycle, I could care less about how hurt I am going to get in a crash based on the material

Here, here, with the safety issue. I'm the same with safety concerns and will put alot more effort into ensuring that my wife and kids cars are spot on safety wise before checking out my own.
On the original Ti question, the main reason for the question was aimed at debating if Ti was going to be around in a few years or if it will be replaced by some new material. Based purely on the history of bike materials being the material of choice, we probably can't expect Ti to be around all that long before it is overtaken by Terigium.

bobbyOCR said:
I am very happy that it is sitting around 8.4. I don't think it needs to be all that much lighter as a race bike, but it would be nice to have a sub 8kg bike.

oh and for references, I weigh 65kg and put out a good sprint.
OK bobby. The challenge is on. But I've got to loose 7.3 kg total package before sprinting with you. ( I wonder how much my head weighs? )
I'm ready to give you a run downhill though.

Ti... not the strongest, not the most light, not the most cheap, not the stiffest. It's OK if you always want to be second-rate!!

( ;) just a little trolling on a fine morning!)

artemidorus said:
Ti... not the strongest, not the most light, not the most cheap, not the stiffest. It's OK if you always want to be second-rate!!

( ;) just a little trolling on a fine morning!)
An Aston Martin DB9 isn't the fastest, strongest, lightest, most luxurious, cheapest etc, etc, etc. It does'nt have to be to be the best of anything to be the best.

Russ Reynolds said:
An Aston Martin DB9 isn't the fastest, strongest, lightest, most luxurious, cheapest etc, etc, etc. It does'nt have to be to be the best of anything to be the best.
So, you're a Ti convert, eh, Russ?

artemidorus said:
So, you're a Ti convert, eh, Russ?
Nah, I'll wait for Terigium. It may sound like an eye complaint, but it will be stronger, lighter, cheaper, hornyer than any other material to date.

bobbyOCR said:
I'll styick with alloy, nothin wrong with it.
Famous last word. I wonder if you'll be able to stick to those words for the rest of your career?

sogood said:
Famous last word. I wonder if you'll be able to stick to those words for the rest of your career?
How are we all going for the 'Worlds Greatest Loser' contest 'artemidorus' and 'so good' ? Mine and 'bobby's weights are in !

Note that he didn't say "I'll stick with allow for the rest of my life".

I also think that there's nothing wrong with alloy. I just got a new bike 3 months ago. At the time, I had the choice of alloy and carbon in the same price range, and I ended up (very happily) with a high-end alloy (CAAD9). No regrets whatsoever.

Russ Reynolds said:
How are we all going for the 'Worlds Greatest Loser' contest 'artemidorus' and 'so good' ? Mine and 'bobby's weights are in !
Just got a haircut.

-150g :D (needed it badly)

Russ Reynolds said:
Just trimmed my nails. Saving in grams. Should be more aero also... :D

Weight? What weight? I float when I activate that anti-gravity mechanism. Used strictly for those uphill sections. :p

Russ Reynolds said:
Just went to the loo. -???g. BTW bobby, you have very heavy hair.

XL TCR2 9kg (105/DA/heavy wheels ~1900g) Al!!!
medium Trek Y22 (duallie) 12kg carbon/Al
19" Diamond Back Apex 12kg (once a rigid steel MTB, now a drop bar tourer, has a 15 year old Ti seat post!!)
All measured with bathroom scales. ;)
The Trek is the only serious loser in my stable, and I ride it the least. :cool: