Should you get a Free (Bicycle) Ride?

DonQuijote1954

Guest
> Bicycle riders should have to pay a tax or a toll to ride on the
> streets and roadway paid by liquid fuel taxes. The money should
> then be used to build cycle roadways. EVERYONE would benefit.
> Unfortunately bicycle riders want to continue to ride for free.
> It the American way I guess, to believe the government should tax
> someone else for the things you want for free.

Propose something absurd, make sure nothing is ever done about it.

We live in a society and must be some things that make life
pleasurable: arts, parks, bike routes... Or you want people to pay for
their own parks too?

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

"DonQuijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Bicycle riders should have to pay a tax or a toll to ride on the
> > streets and roadway paid by liquid fuel taxes. The money should
> > then be used to build cycle roadways. EVERYONE would benefit.
> > Unfortunately bicycle riders want to continue to ride for free.
> > It the American way I guess, to believe the government should tax
> > someone else for the things you want for free.

I remember, fifteen or twenty years ago, some state in the midwest
(Wisconsin? Michigan?) introduced a statewide bike registration
scheme. With great fanfare the scheme was pronounced a success,
unlike similar schemes that had gone before. the sole criterion for
success was that it has taken in 9somewhat) more money than it cost
to administer.

There already are four million miles of cycle roadways in the USA.
People have been building them since long before the bike was
invented.

Jeremy Parker

DonQuijote1954 wrote:
> Propose something absurd, make sure nothing is ever done about it.
>
> We live in a society and must be some things that make life
> pleasurable: arts, parks, bike routes... Or you want people to pay for
> their own parks too?

Yes. The money used to build/maintain those types of things ("art", parks,
bike routes) should come directly from the people that most use them and
benefit from them, not from 'everyone'. If we do this, then it takes the
decision on how to disburse general funds away from the politicians, and
puts it back into the hands of the very people that want them. In case you
haven't noticed, allowing politicians to decided when and how money is spent
is usually a Very Bad Thing (tm).

Make the users pay. That way, who benefits from it, pays for it. Artists
pay for art, park goers pay for parks, bicyclists pay for bike routes.
Takes the politics completely out of those decisions, and that's always a
good thing. If there aren't enough users to support a particular
activity/thing, than so be it. That way, the majority of the people will
decide what's worth paying for and what's not by the direct application of
their dollars, not the lobbys or the political parties deciding for us.

Regards,
H.

HardwareLust wrote:

> DonQuijote1954 wrote:
>> Propose something absurd, make sure nothing is ever done about it.
>>
>> We live in a society and must be some things that make life
>> pleasurable: arts, parks, bike routes... Or you want people to pay for
>> their own parks too?

> Yes. The money used to build/maintain those types of things ("art",
> parks, bike routes) should come directly from the people that most use
> them and
> benefit from them, not from 'everyone'. If we do this, then it takes the
> decision on how to disburse general funds away from the politicians, and
> puts it back into the hands of the very people that want them. In case
> you haven't noticed, allowing politicians to decided when and how money is
> spent is usually a Very Bad Thing (tm).
>
> Make the users pay. That way, who benefits from it, pays for it. Artists
> pay for art, park goers pay for parks, bicyclists pay for bike routes.
> Takes the politics completely out of those decisions, and that's always a
> good thing. If there aren't enough users to support a particular
> activity/thing, than so be it. That way, the majority of the people will
> decide what's worth paying for and what's not by the direct application of
> their dollars, not the lobbys or the political parties deciding for us.

When you get done building the tollbooth on the sidewalk in front of your
house, take some pictures and post them on the internet. I'm sure many
people would love to see what you've come up with. If need be I'd be more
than happy to help defray the cost of the images and webhosting.

In article <[email protected]>, HardwareLust wrote:

> Yes. The money used to build/maintain those types of things ("art", parks,
> bike routes) should come directly from the people that most use them and
> benefit from them, not from 'everyone'. If we do this, then it takes the
> decision on how to disburse general funds away from the politicians, and
> puts it back into the hands of the very people that want them. In case you
> haven't noticed, allowing politicians to decided when and how money is spent
> is usually a Very Bad Thing (tm).

Bicyclists pay more than their fair share of taxes. For instance,
I own more than one property I pay real estate taxes on, I also
pay sales tax, income tax, etc and so on which in some portion
end up in the road system. I also own motor vehicles and pay
all the taxes associated with them. When I use a bicycle, I cannot
use my cars. Thusly, the more I use my bicycle the more I subsidize
other drivers as the taxes I pay greatly exceed the wear and tear
done by my bicycle use.

Bonehenge wrote:

> I don't have kids, and I won't have kids, so why am I paying for
> schools?

So that years from now when you're in a nursing home and one of those kids
is an orderly, he'll be able to read the label on your heart medication
bottle and realize it's actually Martha's progesterone.

Mark

In article <[email protected]>,
Bonehenge <[email protected]> writes:
> On 22 Jul 2004 10:24:26 -0700, [email protected]
> (DonQuijote1954) wrote:
>

>>> Unfortunately bicycle riders want to continue to ride for free.
>>> It the American way I guess, to believe the government should tax
>>> someone else for the things you want for free.

> I already pay income taxes, large property taxes, and I paid sales tax
> on the bike.
>
> I don't have kids, and I won't have kids, so why am I paying for
> schools? <G> Oh that's right, it's the American way!

Transportational cycling is not as "free" as some people
think it is anyways. It's less expensive than driving,
but it's also comensurately less luxurious. At the most
basic level, cycling costs real, physical work, just to
make the bicycle go.

It also imposes much less hazard to the general public,
inflicts much less damage to the environment (and to all
those roads & streets which are paid-for out of general
revenue,) and doesn't induce businesses to waste huge
tracts of otherwise useful urban real estate just for
parking. And cycling helps keep health care costs down,
and it relieves traffic congestion caused by bigger,
fatter vehicles.

Transportational cycling is good for The Economy, and
as such it should be encouraged -- not discouraged
with tired old, lame, specious arguments.

Fortunately, in an ever-increasing number of enlightened
urban centres, it /is/ being encouraged, much to the
chagrine of many indignant, anti-cyling drivers who
want to hog the roads for themselves exclusively, and
who cook up these inane proposals toward that end.

cheers,
Tom