should you wash hands in between patients when on the ward?.

Tim

Guest
hi, im studying to become a nurse and i need some views on whether we should wash our hands, in
between seeeing patients. do you think it will decrease the problems of m.r.s.a.?. thanks now and
good luck to you!

Fisrt off, body substance isolation calls for everyone to wear gloves when handling a patient. When
you are done with one patient, you remove your gloves leaving a powdery residue on your hands. You
need to rinse that off before you don another pair of gloves before your next patient.

You may be thinking, "Oh my! I'm going to get dry hands!" Well, most lotion soaps I am aware of also
have moisturizers in them.

Why risk ANYTHING? A quick wash won't hurt...it will help.

jake exposed too many times to too many things.

[email protected] (tim) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> hi, im studying to become a nurse and i need some views on whether we should wash our hands, in
> between seeeing patients. do you think it will decrease the problems of m.r.s.a.?. thanks now and
> good luck to you!

You know, if you even have to ASK this question, you are entering the wrong line of work...it is
MANDATORY if you want to protect your patients from hospital acquired infections.

Hi Tim, Handwashing between patients is a basic minimum. It is also a good practice not to touch
your face or hair between patients. Many people, including my physician colleagues, put pens and
fingers into their mouths. This is a very dangerous practice. Patients feel better if you wash your
hands after patient contact. You may want to keep a small tube of hand lotion or cream in your
pocket to keep your hands from drying out.

Take a good lesson for the ID docs and wash your hands carefully and properly between patient
contact. Good luck with your studies.

njbmd "tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi, im studying to become a nurse and i need some views on whether we should wash our hands, in
> between seeeing patients. do you think it will decrease the problems of m.r.s.a.?. thanks now and
> good luck to you!

Only if you go to the restroom!