Shoulda Packed the Floaties

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Rode to work this morning along the Yarra Trail after the storms in Northern Suburbs of Melbourne
    last night (it was a beauty). A few of the small pedestrian bridges had their handrails broken by
    floodwaters and there was heaps of corrosion of the track on the hills. Near the Cunningham Hwy
    there was a bit of a rockslide/landslide and the concrete bike path was covered in about 4 inches of
    mud that was strewn with rocks up to about fist size. I had a couple of stretches of path where I
    rode through and the water was at the top of my forks (gotta love wet feet) but I was forced to
    detour at Dwights Falls (Collingwood).

    The usually sedate falls were a raging torrent and where the bike path normally goes next to a
    cyclone fence that is at least 6 foot high, there was about 4 inches of fence above the water. It
    was way too dangerous to try to pass and it was pretty disappointing to see the amount of rubbish
    that was trapped in the eddies created by the big left hand bend in the river after the falls.

    I know I probably shouldn't have rode through the water but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    I have got Deore "sealed" hubs (ie the rubber cone on the outside of the hub) and I am wondering
    whether I should strip the hubs down and repack with grease or if I should not worry about it??
    Also, I have been told in the past that modern bottom brackets are also "sealed" and shouldn't be
    stripped down (although I am not sure if this still applies for actually riding with the BB
    submerged??).

    Anyone had much experience with riding through water that can give me some advice would be
    appreciated.

    Gags

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Anyone had much experience with riding through water that can give me some advice would be
    appreciated.

    Gags [/B][/QUOTE]

    Not a good idea, seriously,it's dangerous with such volumes of water & a swift current. The entrance to the Yarra path to the left of Gipps St Bridge was taped off too. Does anyone know if Burnley Wharf floated above it or was slightly sunk? I caught the Upfield line later on Wednesday, the line of rubbish & crap along Moonee Ponds was incrediable, looked like most of the lower part must of been impassable earlier.

    Got caught daydreaming along the lower part of the Moonee Ponds Paths a couple of years back, the little warning beacons didn't alert me to the water ahead. When bike & I stopped like a rock, courtesy of two full panniers and 1m of water I realised something was amiss under the trainbridge. It was a long soggy crappy trip back to Coburg, and then I had to dry everything out + take the bike apart. :mad:

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
  4. Stu

    Stu Guest

    "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I know I probably shouldn't have rode through the water but it seemed like
    > good idea at the time.
    I did the very same thing about a year ago. It fun the first time, as long as you remember where the
    path went and dont find a new pot-hole.

    >I have got Deore "sealed" hubs (ie the rubber cone on the outside of the hub) and I am wondering
    >whether I should strip the hubs down and repack with grease or if I should not worry about it??
    Also,
    > I have been told in the past that modern bottom brackets are also "sealed" and shouldn't be
    > stripped down (although I am not sure if this still
    applies
    > for actually riding with the BB submerged??).
    My hubs arent sealed at all, so they needed to be serviced. I have a cartridge BB that seems to have
    come through ok, but some "sealed" BB arent sealed on the inside so if water gets in the frame it
    will need a service to. In fact see http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.6.html about sealed
    bearings. Other things to think about. Pedals, l have shimano M424s and they were fine, free
    wheel/hub, I serviced mine, derailleurs, ditto. cables. pump, yer even it had to come apart. You had
    fun didnt you?

    I guess it depends how far, how deep and how well the seals worked. Anyone else got some ideas?

    > Anyone had much experience with riding through water that can give me some advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Gags

  5. Bah

    Bah Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:23:47 +1100, Gags <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> Wrote :

    <snip>

    > Anyone had much experience with riding through water that can give me some advice would be
    > appreciated.

    What's it going to cost you to give all the bearings a good clean and repack with grease ? An hour
    or two - depending on the number of beers..:) What's it cost to do nothing ? Possibly a whole lot
    of grief when it all goes bad. I'd just go and buy a few beers, some grease and spend a couple of
    hours making sure...:)

    --

    BAH Humbug

  6. Bob Chambers

    Bob Chambers Guest

    I too have Deore "sealed" hubs. Looks to me that they are dust seals only, of your hubs were
    submerged, I'd pull them and look. The seals are NOT waterproof, by my estimation.

    --
    Bob Chambers "stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I know I probably shouldn't have rode through the water but it seemed
    like
    > > good idea at the time.
    > I did the very same thing about a year ago. It fun the first time, as long as you remember where
    > the path went and dont find a new pot-hole.
    >
    > >I have got Deore "sealed" hubs (ie the rubber cone on the outside of the hub) and I am wondering
    > >whether I should strip the hubs down and repack with grease or if I should not worry about it??
    > Also,
    > > I have been told in the past that modern bottom brackets are also
    "sealed"
    > > and shouldn't be stripped down (although I am not sure if this still
    > applies
    > > for actually riding with the BB submerged??).
    > My hubs arent sealed at all, so they needed to be serviced. I have a cartridge BB that seems to
    > have come through ok, but some "sealed" BB
    arent
    > sealed on the inside so if water gets in the frame it will need a service to. In fact see
    > http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8f.6.html about sealed bearings. Other things to think about.
    > Pedals, l have shimano M424s and
    they
    > were fine, free wheel/hub, I serviced mine, derailleurs, ditto. cables. pump, yer even it had to
    > come apart. You had fun didnt you?
    >
    > I guess it depends how far, how deep and how well the seals worked. Anyone else got some ideas?
    >
    > > Anyone had much experience with riding through water that can give me
    some
    > > advice would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Gags

  7. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "BAH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > What's it going to cost you to give all the bearings a good clean and repack with grease ? An hour
    > or two - depending on the number of
    beers..:)
    > What's it cost to do nothing ? Possibly a whole lot of grief when it all goes bad. I'd just go and
    > buy a few beers, some grease and spend a couple of hours making sure...:)

    Just make sure you start the servicing BEFORE starting the beers. I've done it the wrong way around
    many times and the repairs, strangely, never seem to happen...

    hippy ;-)

  8. Bah

    Bah Guest

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 00:28:16 GMT, hippy <[email protected]> Wrote :

    <snip>

    > Just make sure you start the servicing BEFORE starting the beers. I've done it the wrong way
    > around many times

    Good thinking that man...

    > and the repairs, strangely, never seem to happen...

    The big worry is the repairs that _do_ happen...:)

    --

    BAH Humbug

  9. your hubs cannot be submersed that deep, they are primarily dust sheilds and Mud sheild and can
    survive random splashes of water. but not full submersion... i would rebuild the hubs after a good
    clean and dry and then re pack with grease.

    sorry

    Mitch "Better to be safe then sorry" Pollard

    "Gags" <[email protected]_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rode to work this morning along the Yarra Trail after the storms in
    Northern
    > Suburbs of Melbourne last night (it was a beauty). A few of the small pedestrian bridges had their
    > handrails broken by floodwaters and there was heaps of corrosion of the track on the hills. Near
    > the Cunningham Hwy
    there
    > was a bit of a rockslide/landslide and the concrete bike path was covered
    in
    > about 4 inches of mud that was strewn with rocks up to about fist size. I had a couple of
    > stretches of path where I rode through and the water was
    at
    > the top of my forks (gotta love wet feet) but I was forced to detour at Dwights Falls
    > (Collingwood).
    >
    > The usually sedate falls were a raging torrent and where the bike path normally goes next to a
    > cyclone fence that is at least 6 foot high, there was about 4 inches of fence above the water. It
    > was way too dangerous to try to pass and it was pretty disappointing to see the amount of rubbish
    > that was trapped in the eddies created by the big left hand bend in the river after the falls.
    >
    > I know I probably shouldn't have rode through the water but it seemed like
    > good idea at the time. I have got Deore "sealed" hubs (ie the rubber cone on the outside of the
    > hub) and I am wondering whether I should strip the hubs down and repack with grease or if I should
    > not worry about it??
    Also,
    > I have been told in the past that modern bottom brackets are also "sealed" and shouldn't be
    > stripped down (although I am not sure if this still
    applies
    > for actually riding with the BB submerged??).
    >
    > Anyone had much experience with riding through water that can give me some advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Gags

  10. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Mitch Pollard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > your hubs cannot be submersed that deep, they are primarily dust sheilds
    and
    > Mud sheild and can survive random splashes of water. but not full submersion... i would rebuild
    > the hubs after a good clean and dry and then re pack with grease.
    >
    > sorry

    If you are going to the trouble of taking appart your hubs, do you also go through and put in new
    bearings at the same time? Is that a good idea?

    I am just now getting used to and enjoying servicing my own bike, and am doing it kinda blind (with
    the exception of the wonderful advice I get from newsgroups of course!).

    Thanks,

    Tim

  11. Stu

    Stu Guest

    depends what you are paying for the new ones l get mine from a bearing shop, much cheaper
    then the LBS

  12. Gags

    Gags Guest

    > "BAH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > What's it going to cost you to give all the bearings a good clean and repack with grease ? An
    > > hour or two - depending on the number of
    > beers..:)
    > > What's it cost to do nothing ? Possibly a whole lot of grief when it all goes bad. I'd just go
    > > and buy a few beers, some grease and spend a couple of hours making sure...:)
    >
    > Just make sure you start the servicing BEFORE starting the beers. I've done it the wrong way
    > around many times and the repairs, strangely, never seem to happen...
    >
    > hippy ;-)

    Well....looks like I better not make too many plans for Saturday morning.....guess I am on the road
    bike until then.

    Thanks guys (although I was hoping for "yeah, they are waterproof.....just keep riding")

    Gags