Shoulder Cramp - how to avoid?

pcs_ronbo

Jun 5, 2004
Finished my first Triathlon today and right after the bike leg (14m) I started running and the muscles over my left shoulder blade starte cramping like a son-of-a-gun.

No symptoms during the bike. I'm guessing, however, that it was the swim or bike that caused it.

Any ideas?

Swimming can put a lot of stress on your shoulders, in order to help prevent the cramping: 1. Warm-up your shoulders with arm circle exercises, starting out with small circles to large alternating foward and backward. 2. Ensure enough time to warm up before your water workout or race. The key to a great swim is the warm-up. Swimming is completely different from biking or running. Your muscles will create less lactic acid when properly warmed up and will keep you in better shape for the upcoming bike and run. 3. If all else fails try to increase your potassium intake with bannas or even supplement pills.

Hope this helps

Joe

pcs_ronbo said:
Finished my first Triathlon today and right after the bike leg (14m) I started running and the muscles over my left shoulder blade starte cramping like a son-of-a-gun.

No symptoms during the bike. I'm guessing, however, that it was the swim or bike that caused it.

Any ideas?

JoeSwimmer said:
Swimming can put a lot of stress on your shoulders, in order to help prevent the cramping: 1. Warm-up your shoulders with arm circle exercises, starting out with small circles to large alternating foward and backward. 2. Ensure enough time to warm up before your water workout or race. The key to a great swim is the warm-up. Swimming is completely different from biking or running. Your muscles will create less lactic acid when properly warmed up and will keep you in better shape for the upcoming bike and run. 3. If all else fails try to increase your potassium intake with bannas or even supplement pills.

Hope this helps

Joe

Potassium/Sodium was the key. Added that, no longer an issue. Thanks!