Shoulder Pain--Lower Handle Bars

Malendrino

Jun 27, 2007
Hey Guys whats going on>? Im new to the forum and just picked up cycling again ( been about 7 years since ive been fully active cycling)

I have a few questions for the regulars.

On a road bike, i notice other rider holding the bottom of the curl handlebar while riding. Is there a pro for this? I was under the assumption that was for decilnes and inclines.

Also when I do ride using that position, i have alot of pain in my shoulder and my back is sore. Any reasons/remedies?

Is there any thing else anyone can offer me advice wise on the above topics and picking up from a long draught. Also supplements and that sort. Thanks

Malendrino said:
On a road bike, i notice other rider holding the bottom of the curl handlebar while riding. Is there a pro for this? I was under the assumption that was for decilnes and inclines.
Riders use the drops as it is a more aerodynamic position on the bicycle, which enables you to go faster for the same power output. It also enables maximum leverage on the bars when sprinting and is the safest place to hold the bars when descending as bike control is best there.

However, if the bars are too low and/or far forward, then too much weight will be carried by the upper body and that is not comfortable nor ideal for sustained cycling effort or bike control. You should be able to ride along in the drops, lift your hands off the bars slightly while riding and not fall forward. If you fall forward then the bars are in the wrong place. Weight should be mostly borne by the sit bones.

It sounds like your bars are too low and/or too far forward meaning you are carrying a lot of weight through your hands, arms and shoulders which creates the pain after a while.

I'd suggest raising/bringing back your bars so you can comfortably ride in the drops for periods of time (e.g. when you want to go fast for a while). Best advice would be to visit a professional bike fitter. I did that over a decade ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

Alex Simmons said:
I'd suggest raising/bringing back your bars so you can comfortably ride in the drops for periods of time (e.g. when you want to go fast for a while). Best advice would be to visit a professional bike fitter. I did that over a decade ago and it was the best thing I ever did.
I agree that a professional bike fitter is a great way to go. My bike fits like a glove. It is a significant improvement over the 1960-1970's method of stand over the bike and pull it up into your crotch. :eek: I also love my FSA K-wing handlebars. A good fit actually allows you to ride harder and longer with less upper body fatigue. Upper body fatigue really limits your endurance and speed.

Well i definetly have to take a look into that. When i go to a cyling store, just ask to have the bike fit for me? :confused:

Malendrino said:
Well i definetly have to take a look into that. When i go to a cyling store, just ask to have the bike fit for me? :confused:

No!

You need to do research and find a LBS or coach in the area that is a certified bike fit expert. If you go into a regular LBS you will not get a proper fit. Do some homework and you will be pleased with the result.

Thanks alot for the info, i just found a guy in brooklyn who does them. Hopefully this will help me out big time because I do notice that im not perfectly adjusted for the bike. Thanks again