Shouldn't track racing be covered more on TV?

cmacblue42

Mar 1, 2006
I mean it is perfect for TV coverage. I understand it faded away in america in the 1920's because of auto racing, but thats just because they could go fast and people weren't used to cars going 150 mph.

The way I see it, you see facial expressions in thr track (often ones of pain), its more amazing to watch (because fat a$$ americans cant belive someone can go 40 mph on a bike), and it is more intense than auto racing, because there is more passing and intense racing action.

cmacblue42 said:
I mean it is perfect for TV coverage. I understand it faded away in america in the 1920's because of auto racing, but thats just because they could go fast and people weren't used to cars going 150 mph.

The way I see it, you see facial expressions in thr track (often ones of pain), its more amazing to watch (because fat a$$ americans cant belive someone can go 40 mph on a bike), and it is more intense than auto racing, because there is more passing and intense racing action.

Yeah, I totally agree. I watched the 1979 classic "Breaking Away" last night, and the whole movie has some great racing scenes, including a track racing at the end.

cmacblue42 said:

Are Americans the only fat people in the world? :rolleyes:

zaskar said:
Are Americans the only fat people in the world? :rolleyes:
lol, you know what I mean. point being, my freinds are mezmerized when i tell them i can go 20 mph on a bike (even though i can go faster), even the ones that are not fat. Nascar is also filled with older, less fit drivers, becasue it isnt open wheel racing (where the wind it hitting you at 200mph).

I'd imagine that it would be reatively inexpensive to produce the footage as well, because you'd only need three or four fixed cameras around the track and maybe one roving camera for rider interviews.

Jack-o said:
I'd imagine that it would be reatively inexpensive to produce the footage as well, because you'd only need three or four fixed cameras around the track and maybe one roving camera for rider interviews.
I have to believe that some, if not most track events would be more entertaining than road coverage. BTW Jacko , I bought a new Teschner

Billsworld said:
I have to believe that some, if not most track events would be more entertaining than road coverage. BTW Jacko , I bought a new Teschner
Any thoughts on the Teschner frame? I was looking at these (cheaper than BT:eek: ) but a mate has a road bike and has cracked the rear stays 3 times:eek:

pshaw said:
Any thoughts on the Teschner frame? I was looking at these (cheaper than BT:eek: ) but a mate has a road bike and has cracked the rear stays 3 times:eek:
I am no expert on bikes or training for that matter. I have a Bianchi Pista Concept that is similar to Jackos Aluminum D2..I thnk thats what they call it. Its lots stiffer and handles better.When sprinting it feels like more power gets to the rear wheel...."feels like" . There are alot of guys here in the states buying them as well. Dolan is selling the same bike and calls it the "ARC" . There are a few real fast guys on that one. I think Peter Barnard down your way is on one. How did Teschner deal with your friends problem?

The public is not interested in endurance sport. It makes them feel bad about how sad they are and it totally foreign to them (the idea of "enjoying" cardio output), so don't hold your breath on this :)

There is some match sprint footage of Gord Singleton at the 1982 World Championships in the match sprint finals on Youtube ......Google it and watch all of the finals...then tell me that track cycling isnt better to watch than TDF or any other road race.... Warning , you might want to quit bike racing after watching it too

Billsworld said:
There is some match sprint footage of Gord Singleton at the 1982 World Championships in the match sprint finals on Youtube ......Google it and watch all of the finals...then tell me that track cycling isnt better to watch than TDF or any other road race.... Warning , you might want to quit bike racing after watching it too
Damn man, that was intense, thanks for the refer.

dooblesdjoobles said:
Damn man, that was intense, thanks for the refer.
I saw it, too. I also found something about Gord doing a 2006 men's masters' track event on youtube, but cannot find anything further on the net about it, or really much about him.

He is lurking around here sometimes.....Current Masters World Champ. He also was blocked from the Olympics in the 1980 boycott. He went to Mexico and broke the kilo, 200 and 500 world records in the same day. He also has more track cycling knowledge than anyone that I know of. If you guys like track cycling , check out Fixed Gear Fever