Shouting

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Brendan Halpin, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. Shouting on both legs of my commute today:

    Out: Me shouting, at woman who leaves dog cross the road ahead of
    her on the end of an extensible leash, me doing 30 km/h in pouring
    rain. Visions of a dog with a broken neck and me sliding on my back
    through the intersection.

    Back: I'm the recipient, the shouter a 50-ish guy in lycra with
    aero-bars: "Good man, ride right in the middle, don't let them
    pass, that's the way to do it", as I come around a roundabout with
    body language hinting "pull out and I'll t-bone you".

    Pleased to feel I'm not the only cyclist around here with a taste
    for the primary position.

    Brendan
    --
    Brendan Halpin, Limerick, Ireland

    Tags:

  2. Brendan Halpin wrote:
    > Shouting on both legs of my commute today:
    >
    > Out: Me shouting, at woman who leaves dog cross the road ahead of
    > her on the end of an extensible leash, me doing 30 km/h in pouring
    > rain. Visions of a dog with a broken neck and me sliding on my back
    > through the intersection.
    >
    > Back: I'm the recipient, the shouter a 50-ish guy in lycra with
    > aero-bars: "Good man, ride right in the middle, don't let them
    > pass, that's the way to do it", as I come around a roundabout with
    > body language hinting "pull out and I'll t-bone you".
    >
    > Pleased to feel I'm not the only cyclist around here with a taste
    > for the primary position.

    I'm shouting, or at least grumbling loudly (and the odd blasphemy)
    almost every day now. Pedestrians just not seeming to be aware of my
    approach. They walk out on to the pedestrian crossing when I have the
    green. This is in daylight too. South London, of course. Perhaps I do
    not appear threatening enough. Or is it in revenge for the pavement
    cyclists and red light jumpers?

  3. Sue White

    Sue White Guest

    [email protected] whizzed past me shouting

    >I'm shouting, or at least grumbling loudly (and the odd blasphemy)
    >almost every day now. Pedestrians just not seeming to be aware of my
    >approach. They walk out on to the pedestrian crossing when I have the
    >green. This is in daylight too. South London, of course. Perhaps I do
    >not appear threatening enough. Or is it in revenge for the pavement
    >cyclists and red light jumpers?

    What we need is trolleybuses: the one-step cure for pedestrians who
    walk in front of you without looking.

    Mind you, they also cure cyclists of relying on their ears.

    --
    Sue ];:))

    Bicycle helmets are really a bit of a scam.
    They make most cyclists slightly less safe but there's money in selling them.

  4. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    Sue White wrote:
    > [email protected] whizzed past me shouting
    >

    >> I'm shouting, or at least grumbling loudly (and the odd blasphemy)
    >> almost every day now. Pedestrians just not seeming to be aware of my
    >> approach. They walk out on to the pedestrian crossing when I have the
    >> green. This is in daylight too. South London, of course. Perhaps I do
    >> not appear threatening enough. Or is it in revenge for the pavement
    >> cyclists and red light jumpers?
    >>

    > What we need is trolleybuses: the one-step cure for pedestrians who
    > walk in front of you without looking.
    >
    > Mind you, they also cure cyclists of relying on their ears.

    ....which provides a neat segue back to the iPod thread.

  5. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Brendan Halpin wrote:
    >> Shouting on both legs of my commute today:
    >>
    >> Out: Me shouting, at woman who leaves dog cross the road ahead of
    >> her on the end of an extensible leash, me doing 30 km/h in pouring
    >> rain. Visions of a dog with a broken neck and me sliding on my back
    >> through the intersection.
    >>
    >> Back: I'm the recipient, the shouter a 50-ish guy in lycra with
    >> aero-bars: "Good man, ride right in the middle, don't let them
    >> pass, that's the way to do it", as I come around a roundabout with
    >> body language hinting "pull out and I'll t-bone you".
    >>
    >> Pleased to feel I'm not the only cyclist around here with a taste
    >> for the primary position.
    >>

    > I'm shouting, or at least grumbling loudly (and the odd blasphemy)
    > almost every day now. Pedestrians just not seeming to be aware of my
    > approach. They walk out on to the pedestrian crossing when I have the
    > green. This is in daylight too. South London, of course. Perhaps I do
    > not appear threatening enough. Or is it in revenge for the pavement
    > cyclists and red light jumpers?

    So when ever did pedestrians ever obey the lights at their crossings? On the
    whole I find that I am more invisible to peds than I am to car drivers. Or
    they are totally unable to assess the speed at which I am travelling and
    blithely assume that I will stop for them ( and |I don't -- a shout is
    far more effective than any bike bell and my "bulb horn" is also a useful
    alerting device. I also find that if my brakes are in a "squealing mode" a
    quick touch of the brakes brings a sudden awareness of my approach)

  6. davek

    davek Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > They walk out on to the pedestrian crossing when I have the
    > green. This is in daylight too. South London, of course. Perhaps I do
    > not appear threatening enough. Or is it in revenge for the pavement
    > cyclists and red light jumpers?

    No, just a reminder that sanctimonious pedestrians don't have the
    monopoly on self-righteous attitudes towards other road-users. ;-)

    d.

  7. davek

    davek Guest

    Sue White wrote:
    > What we need is trolleybuses: the one-step cure for pedestrians who
    > walk in front of you without looking.
    >
    > Mind you, they also cure cyclists of relying on their ears.

    I wonder - has there been any noticeable rise in pedestrian/cyclist
    fatalities in the Croydon area in recent years?

    d.

  8. davek

    davek Guest

    Pinky wrote:
    > So when ever did pedestrians ever obey the lights at their crossings?

    I may be wrong, but I have a hunch that unlike car drivers, pedestrians
    are not obliged to obey crossing signals.

    In fact, they can cross where and whenever they like, except on roads
    where pedestrians are forbidden.

    (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

    > a shout is
    > far more effective than any bike bell and my "bulb horn" is also a useful
    > alerting device.

    I keep meaning to get an Air Zound but never get round to it (bike
    budget is usually already gone on other things, eg ~£280 this week for
    new wheels - ouch! though one of those wheels did come with a SON hub)

    d.

  9. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Pinky wrote:

    > So when ever did pedestrians ever obey the lights at their crossings? On the
    > whole I find that I am more invisible to peds than I am to car drivers.

    Most pedestrians take no account of the lights at all. If you watch
    them trying to cross they don't even glance at the lights. They're only
    watching for a gap in the traffic. A cyclist of course counts as a gap
    in the traffic.

    --
    Dave...

  10. davek

    davek Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > A cyclist of course counts as a gap
    > in the traffic.

    Same applies to cars turning right out of T junctions. The bastards.

    d.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > Most pedestrians take no account of the lights at all. If you watch
    > them trying to cross they don't even glance at the lights. They're only
    > watching for a gap in the traffic. A cyclist of course counts as a gap
    > in the traffic.

    That's if they look. Today I was descending Park St in Bristol past
    stationary queued traffic. Steepish hill, wet road when from the far
    side of the road a pedestrian set off assuming, because there was
    nothing coming on his side and the other side was stationary, he didn't
    need to look at all. The back wheel of the B was lifting under braking
    and the Mk I human voice on loud was having no effect so I let go the
    brakes to give me control to steer round him now he was close enough I
    could predict his path and where to steer to miss him. Except he chose
    that moment to look up and initiate the dance of death by stepping back
    into my new trajectory. The back wheel came right up (didn't fold under
    this time) and I stopped with my front wheel resting against his jeans.
    Whereupon he walked away without a word.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Pinky wrote:
    >
    >> So when ever did pedestrians ever obey the lights at their crossings? On
    >> the
    >> whole I find that I am more invisible to peds than I am to car drivers.

    > Most pedestrians take no account of the lights at all. If you watch
    > them trying to cross they don't even glance at the lights. They're only
    > watching for a gap in the traffic. A cyclist of course counts as a gap
    > in the traffic.

    Thinking back to my childhood, my mother unwittingly gave me excellent
    instruction on the importance of being aware of one's surroundings. Mother
    was a repeat offender when it came to attempts to get a Darwin Award. She
    was *oblivious* to any form of traffic and whenever she needed to cross a
    road, she'd do it immediately. No looking for a safe place to cross, no
    using zebra crossings, no checking for traffic. Just march straight out into
    the road.... She was saved from injury and possible death on many occasions
    by a combination of my Dad, my brother, me or total stranger grabbing her by
    the arm and yanking her back on to the pavement as she was just about to
    step under a bus/car/van... The absolute stupidity of some of the things she
    did stay with me even to this day. Especially when if it Dad, my brother or
    yours truly, she'd immediately launch into a stream of long & loud invective
    about how she was alright and the car would have stopped in time... Total
    strangers were always courteously thanked for their aid, though. Possibly
    because she was soooo stupidly inattentive it has made me attentive in this
    matter! Lord how I drilled the Green Cross Code into Nathan (read: went on
    about crossing the road safely to the point of paranoia...)

    Cheers, helen s

  13. davek <[email protected]> wrote:
    | In fact, they can cross where and whenever they like, except on roads
    | where pedestrians are forbidden.
    |
    | (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

    I think you're right; I am less sure about cycling across a road.

    I know it's illegal to cross a light-controlled cycle-only crossing
    when the green cycle aspect doesn't show; and I know it is illegal
    to cycle across a pedestrian-only crossing; but is it illegal to
    cycle across a toucan when the green cycle aspect isn't showing?

  14. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:26:18 +0000, davek <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Pinky wrote:
    > > So when ever did pedestrians ever obey the lights at their crossings?

    > I may be wrong, but I have a hunch that unlike car drivers, pedestrians
    > are not obliged to obey crossing signals.
    >
    > In fact, they can cross where and whenever they like, except on roads
    > where pedestrians are forbidden.
    >
    > (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)

    No, I believe you are correct.

    Of more interest, I believe that the enabling legislation for
    pedestrian crossings is such that actually a pedestrian between the
    rows of metal studs used to mark pelicans has priority at _all_ times
    - irrespective of the state of the lights. That is, when the red man
    is lit, and the traffic lights are green, pedestrians have priority
    between the studs.

    Motorists seem to have forgotten this at some point.
    So has Pinky, apparently.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig