Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by SCOOBA STEVE, Sep 1, 2003.

1. tonyzackery

tonyzackery Well-Known Member

Good one, g...diversity keeps this place interesting to me - we just can't have everybody agreeing with each other all the time...some folks just need try and keep it from getting personal, because it does show and it's not pretty:cool:...

2. Billcycle

Billcycle New Member

Here's my new Trek 2.3:

3. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

nice bike but i would like to stray off topic a bit and ask how was the superbowl party yesterday? i bet no cycling got done down there at all or this coming weekend either, huh? Go SAINTS!

4. tonyzackery

^^Nice ride. Can't say I've ever seen a white bike I didn't like...

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Nice looking scooter. There's a lot of white there. :cool:

6. Billcycle

Billcycle New Member

Thanks for the nice words, guys! I'm very happy with her...I suspect the white grip tape might not age well, I might switch to red down the road apiece. Had my first "aw crap" moment with the (new-to-me) clipless peddles on Monday, LOL...oh well, now I know to unclip both feet at a stop. :eek::D

Roadhouse, it's been a blast down here--we've never seen anything like it, even on Mardi Gras. We live just across the river from the Quarter on the Navy Base in Algiers, and we couldn't make it across to the welcome parade last night--something like 10,000 people were lined up on the levee for the ferry across...it was just crazy. We waited for about an hour, then decided to turn around so we could at least catch the parade on TV.

Really nice for the old-time fans who've been with the Saints the whole time....

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Nah, don't do that. That just adds another chance to fall down at a light or stop. Instead pull one foot before you come to a stop, and lean slightly to that foot's side so that foot will support and stabilize you. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. To help yourself even more, ride around your neighborhood and practice clipping in and unclipping. This'll allow you to practice in a low stress environment, stopping and starting where ever you see fit (doesn't have to be a stop sign), without having the added pressure of cars stopping and pulling away next to you.

With all that said, even the most practiced riders will occasionally get caught out and have to taste a bit of the ol' humiliation Slurpee. It's most likely to happen at any stop or light when a car of attractive womynz pulls up next to you.

8. cwdzoot

cwdzoot New Member

Wow that's a cool looking bike. won't see many orange bikes on any ride. This one will stand out.

9. Billcycle

Billcycle New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try!! I did take her out the first time just around the base here, and thought I had the hang pretty of them pretty well down. Actually not even sure what happened--I had stopped ok, and think I just lost my balance a bit starting back up. Oh well, glad the suspense is over anyway, LOL.

On the upside, the whole package is quite a change for me--and i like it a lot. The road bike config seems so much easier in some respects, and I'm really happy with the fitting job my LBS did. I also like the clipless pedals a lot--it feels like I'm much more a part of the bike and vice-versa.

Bill

10. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

alienator is right with only pulling one foot out and it'll come naturaly in a little bit for you. and the white bar tape can be cleaned with [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Bicycle-Cleaner-33-8-Ounce/dp/B001GCER7S"]Amazon.com: Finish Line Super Bike Wash Bicycle Cleaner, 1 Liter (33.8-Ounce) Spray Bottle: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] easily to keep that brand new luster. i use it on mine and never had a problem and works well on the tape let alone the rest of the bike, just spray on and wipe off.

as for The Saints partying, i've been watching it on the news from here in Houston and it looks amazing! thinking that i could possibly make it down for a seventh Mardi Gras this weekend but still waiting for that to unfold. I'll look you up if it pans out.

11. tonyzackery

You're probably right about this. However, you could do what I do - get some white golfing gloves and use 'em as riding gloves. I go full fingered 100% of the time anyway. My white bike is my full-on 'racing' bike and on race days I'll break out the white gloves. My other bikes don't have white tape, so I'll use the ubiquitous black gloves when riding/racing them.

White gloves aren't for the faint of heart for sure, but I don't have a faint heart anyway:D...

12. Billcycle

Billcycle New Member

Thanks for the tip!

Ah Mardi Gras--truth be told, I usually try to avoid it, I can take big crowds in small doses, but the day/night long stuff gets to me anymore. Give a yell though if you get in town, sure we can find a drink somewhere, LOL...

My daughter lives and works over in Houston (Katy actually), though I think she's moving into the city in Mar.

Tony, thanks as well--I've got a few golf gloves around--not like they help my game any!!:D

13. carlepawell

carlepawell New Member

14. VadarStrikesBack

VadarStrikesBack Well-Known Member

You know thats not half bad. I would make it look better ofcourse because I am a god on a bike but I have to say you did a reasonably good job on that.

Ditch the ergo bars and maybe reign in that stem (what is it 130/140?) and get a classy saddle and you would be in business.

(This is as close to giving a compliment as I get)

15. Billcycle

Billcycle New Member

Carlep--that's a beautiful looking classic! What are the details?

16. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

i actually live in Katy if you want to be technical. small world.

17. tonyzackery

Thanks - I think...LOL.

Now that I got 'em on, I'm also not diggin' 'em too much - talking about the ergo bars. Got 'em cheap off ebay, but will probably switch at some point in the future. They feel comfortable, but the look is weird IMO.
    The stem is stayin' as I need the extended reach. I prefer smallish frames (lighter and stiffer) and long stems - no handling problems here.
    Ditto on the saddle stayin' as well as it compliments the total concept of the bike better than anything else on the market. I think it looks so good that I'll probably race on another saddle and leave the Fizik for show duty only - maintains resale value later on too...

18. Billcycle

Billcycle New Member

Tony, that is a stunning bike....

19. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

20. Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder New Member

62cm Carbon composite Ridley Gladius
    63cm Steel Pinarello Sestriere (Treviso)

[​IMG]