Show Me A Photo Of Your Road Bike

"A" said:
PICT0126.jpg

Nice looking bike. I've never heard of Cerbis. Those cranks.......?

genedan said:
Texas Longhorns Team Issue Cronus Ultimate!!!

Can't say I've ever seen a white, orange, and black bike I didn't like. Those Fisher's appear to be built like tanks, witness that tree trunk of a down tube! Nice...

We had a choice between Red and Ultegra, both complete.

Given that GF is only in it's 2nd year of road bike production, I opted not to get one, still using a Trek 1000/Sora.=P. Kelly Benefit Strategies used the bike last year, but this year it opted for Orbea. Not sure why they did that, but there was something in VeloNews that said the Cronus wasn't a "pure" race bike (whatever that means).

I am getting another bike upon graduation, just not sure how the GF frames are gonna hold up, so I'll see how my teammates perform with them. The geometry looks a little too relaxed for me so I'm not too sure if I want to get it, and I might pick a more aggressive geometry instead.

I'm actually thinking about getting a steel bike instead of carbon though. Even though carbon is all the rage, nowadays I bet you can get a high-end steel bike that is almost as light and a hell of a lot cheaper. Plus well made steel frames are classy, more easily repairable, and can literally last a lifetime. One of my teammates got into a crash and cracked his GF frame on his very first ride! CF seems to be hard to repair so he opted to get a new frame instead. So, I'm kinda worried about what bike to get cause I need it to last for the next few years, as it will probably take me several years to become financially stable enough to afford wrecking carbon frames.

Actually, CF is repairable, too. Craig Calfee does it and his finished products look amazing. He claims that his repaired CF is stronger than that frame element before it was broken.

alienator said:
Actually, CF is repairable, too. Craig Calfee does it and his finished products look amazing. He claims that his repaired CF is stronger than that frame element before it was broken.

That is really good to know on my side. But what are the costs in repairing CF ? Considering that each incident is unique with it's own cost of course.

we talked about repairs, it's around $300 but with shipping the bike back and forth, reassembly costs, etc., he decided that a new frame would be cheaper since we can get them at cost.

gman0482 said:
That is really good to know on my side. But what are the costs in repairing CF ? Considering that each incident is unique with it's own cost of course.

Yeah, it depends on the damage. You check Calfee's Frame repair page. I think it's a service about which any owner of a CF bike should know. I think the max charge is $500-ish. I could be wrong; however, it definitely costs less than a new frame, the majority of the time. If you strip the bike yourself and rebuild it when he sends it back, you save money, and you learn a lot about workin' on a bike. It's not difficult at all to build up a bike. In that case you only pay shipping and for the repair.....and maybe paint if you require that. Interestingly, Calfee warrantees their repairs' workmanship for 5 years. I know my frame cost enough that I'd definitely send it to Calfee if something bad happened.

First road bike, just getting into the sport. I wanted something with a fairly decent groupset and still light. I am very pleased with it so far.

attachment.php

eddykow said:
How do you post a photo on this forum in this thread? thanx.:confused:

Hi there

When you reply to a thread you'll notice an attachments section a little below the text area where you type your reply. You can can either upload them from your computer or enter a URL.

nice! first gary fisher roadie i've seen. what group set did it come with and what is the name /style of that bike? cost of the bike if you don't mind me asking which you don't have to answer if you don't want to but either way, she's sweet! and this is gonna sound a bit cheesey but what did you name her if you did? all of us kinda have a name for our bikes even though a lot of us won't admit it, like you name a beloved pet or even a secret or not so secret lover. it might take some time for the name to come to you. and welcome.

RMD Photography said:
First road bike, just getting into the sport. I wanted something with a fairly decent groupset and still light. I am very pleased with it so far.

attachment.php

roadhouse said:
nice! first gary fisher roadie i've seen. what group set did it come with and what is the name /style of that bike? cost of the bike if you don't mind me asking which you don't have to answer if you don't want to but either way, she's sweet! and this is gonna sound a bit cheesey but what did you name her if you did? all of us kinda have a name for our bikes even though a lot of us won't admit it, like you name a beloved pet or even a secret or not so secret lover. it might take some time for the name to come to you. and welcome.

Thanks, It is a Gary Fisher AR Super. It came with Tiagra and 105 components.

I had been looking around online and at all the LBS places around town for a decently light bike in the $600-700 range. Well there really wasn't a lot under about $1000-1200 that fit into that criteria. Plus I really liked the STI type shifting system and all my cyclist friends really recomended to get Tigra components or above and all the bikes with that were in that above $1000 range. I came across this on JensonUSA's website on closeout since its an 09' model for like $650. I started reading all over about them and they had great reviews. But the only thing that was the problem is Gary Fisher, being made by Trek, is not allowed to be sold online. Even then all these other places had it advertised for around $1100-1200. I happened in to my LBS and they had one there for $1200. I talked to the owner, explained I wouldn't pay $1200 for a bike that Jenson USA has advertised for $650. I still don't know how they are doing them that cheap , the owner even showed me the books that they had paid like $725 for it, but I finally got them down to $899 which for the components and other bikes around here in that price range I felt was a pretty good deal. (being in the midwest all the LBS shops are pretty high priced) Plus I love the look of it!

So far I have been very happy with it, its a fast smooth riding and shifting bike. It is definitely the lightest of all the aluminum bikes I have tried out and looked at. It's a 61cm frame and weighs in right at 20lbs.

Only thing I have done to it so far is change from the toe clip to some clipless pedals. I know the bar tape will be going soon as well. I only have about 50-75 miles on it and that white bar tape is already nasty from my gloves. So I will probably go with a silver gel tape.

And no, haven't got a name for it yet, but it will happen I'm sure..lol.

RMD Photography said:
Thanks, It is a Gary Fisher AR Super. It came with Tiagra and 105 components.

I had been looking around online and at all the LBS places around town for a decently light bike in the $600-700 range. Well there really wasn't a lot under about $1000-1200 that fit into that criteria. Plus I really liked the STI type shifting system and all my cyclist friends really recomended to get Tigra components or above and all the bikes with that were in that above $1000 range. I came across this on JensonUSA's website on closeout since its an 09' model for like $650. I started reading all over about them and they had great reviews. But the only thing that was the problem is Gary Fisher, being made by Trek, is not allowed to be sold online. Even then all these other places had it advertised for around $1100-1200. I happened in to my LBS and they had one there for $1200. I talked to the owner, explained I wouldn't pay $1200 for a bike that Jenson USA has advertised for $650. I still don't know how they are doing them that cheap , the owner even showed me the books that they had paid like $725 for it, but I finally got them down to $899 which for the components and other bikes around here in that price range I felt was a pretty good deal. (being in the midwest all the LBS shops are pretty high priced) Plus I love the look of it!

So far I have been very happy with it, its a fast smooth riding and shifting bike. It is definitely the lightest of all the aluminum bikes I have tried out and looked at. It's a 61cm frame and weighs in right at 20lbs.

Only thing I have done to it so far is change from the toe clip to some clipless pedals. I know the bar tape will be going soon as well. I only have about 50-75 miles on it and that white bar tape is already nasty from my gloves. So I will probably go with a silver gel tape.

And no, haven't got a name for it yet, but it will happen I'm sure..lol.

how can Jenson advertise it for sale online and yet not be able to sell it? you'd think they'd not even advertise it unless it is stated on the website that it's an in store pick up only, which i'm guessing it does? weird but great story and glad you got a deal as the owner pretty much gave it to you. score!

got a bike computer for it yet? you don't need anything costly, probably can get one ( wired which means that there will be a wire from the sensor on the wheel to the computer which mounts on the bar) from anywhere from $30 -$60 tops and a good one that'll have cadence ( revolution of the pedal like rpms in a vehicle) and current speed along with average speed for the entire ride plus a time clock, possibly even more.

roadhouse said:
how can Jenson advertise it for sale online and yet not be able to sell it? you'd think they'd not even advertise it unless it is stated on the website that it's an in store pick up only, which i'm guessing it does? weird but great story and glad you got a deal as the owner pretty much gave it to you. score!

got a bike computer for it yet? you don't need anything costly, probably can get one ( wired which means that there will be a wire from the sensor on the wheel to the computer which mounts on the bar) from anywhere from $30 -$60 tops and a good one that'll have cadence ( revolution of the pedal like rpms in a vehicle) and current speed along with average speed for the entire ride plus a time clock, possibly even more.

Ya, they advertised it online but they show it as in store special only.

And I picked up a cheapo computer ($10) just to track milage, but I will be getting a good cadence computer fairly soon.

I have been looking at this one [ame=http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-BC1606L-Wireless-Bicycle-Speedometer/dp/B000GHHUXM]Amazon.com: SIGMA BC1606L DTS Wireless Bicycle Speedometer: Sports & Outdoors[/ame] since it has the option for PC docking and performance tracking.